Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Olympic tennis underway now. Probably won't get too interesting in the singles until after a few rounds, as both the draws, and especially the men's, are missing a lot of the top 50. Women's side could be really good in the later rounds though, as most of the really in-form players this year are taking part. Djokovic winning the men's does feel inevitable at this point, though he is a bit more vulnerable over three sets these days.

One notable result already in the doubles, as Herbert/Mahut have been beaten by Murray/Salisbury. Which is a bit of an upset, as they would have been one of the strong favourites to win the whole thing. Better chance for Murray to get a medal than in the singles now they've got that match out of the way.

BlodwynPig

That french pairing are waning. Closing the curtain on french tennis success forever. Mladenovic is also a gonner in the doubles these days. French sport in general is in another doldrums

Deanjam

Interesting that the Murray's aren't playing as a duo this year. Their record as a team at the Olympics is surprisingly awful, so they've both probably got a better chance at a doubles medal not playing together.

selectivememory

I think Jamie only got in the Olympic team at the last minute, as Evans got Covid and had to withdraw, at which point Andy was already paired up with Salisbury. Though maybe they would have chosen different partners anyway, given their poor record.

chveik

Murray has withdrawn from the singles due to injury/to save himself from the humiliation of being beaten 6-0, 6-0/to focus on the doubles, where he has a better medal chance.

Players are unhappy with the extreme heat:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/olympics-tennis-2021-ash-barty-caught-joke-conditions-213208930.html

selectivememory

Rublev also out, but glad for Nishikori, as that was a rough draw at his home Olympics. Nice if he could get on a run here.

Murray could well have beaten Auger-Aliassime though, as he went out in straights to a guy barely in the top 200. But if he's worried about stretching himself too thin, the doubles is the smart bet if he wants to get a medal. 

The conditions look horrible. Courts seem really slow and the heat very oppressive. Might be a few more upsets early on.

Deanjam

Big win for Liam Broady over Hurkacz to make the last 16. Really justifying his place in the draw.

selectivememory

Yeah, good for him. Making the most of the opportunity, and Chardy in the next round is certainly winnable. Muzz and Salisbury also through to the quarters, and one win away from getting to play for a medal.

Osaka and Krejcikova both gone overnight, which leaves the women's draw even more open. Maybe Svitolina can finally do something at a big tournament, even if not a major. Muguruza and Bencic also still in it.

selectivememory

Murray and Salisbury are out of the doubles after blowing a set and a break lead. Oh, well.

Still a bit of French interest left in the men's singles for Blodders and chveik, with Chardy and Humbert both making the quarters. I reckon Humbert in particular has a pretty decent path to a medal now. Medvedev is the best player left in his half and he's apparently been really struggling with the heat.

Women's semis are set:

Bencic - Rybakina 
Svitolina - Vondrousova

Not the strongest line-up, though given the consistency on the WTA these days it's hardly surprising. Would quite like to see Svitolina win it, but I don't really have a strong preference at this point.

Deanjam

Potential double gold for both Bencic and Djokovic here. Djokovic has looked pretty inevitable for the title, but Zverev may provide his first real test. He's always looked better in best of 3 matches against the top players.

selectivememory

Apparently Djokovic has lost like eight games in a row from being a set and a break up. This is probably going to be his last chance to get an Olympic gold in singles, as he'll be 37 when the next games come around. Still in the mixed doubles I guess, but the singles is what he'll have been targeting.

Wish it was almost anyone other than Zverev beating him though.

selectivememory

OK then. Hope Khachanov can win the final.

Deanjam

Yeah Zverev is a bit of a dodgy character, so will be rooting for Khachanov. Not entirely shocked that Djokovic lost as he is vulnerable in best of 3, but he must be gutted. Still, Federer never got singles gold either, so it happens.

chveik

Deanjam

Allegations of domestic abuse from his ex.

selectivememory

selectivememory

Carreno Busta and Svitolina take the bronze medals in singles. Djokovic pulled out of his mixed doubles bronze match after losing to Busta, so all in all, a pretty wretched couple of days for him.

Women's singles final up soon.

chveik

Quote from: selectivememory on July 31, 2021, 12:54:03 PM
Carreno Busta and Svitolina take the bronze medals in singles. Djokovic pulled out of his mixed doubles bronze match after losing to Busta, so all in all, a pretty wretched couple of days for him.

Women's singles final up soon.

unless he really is injured, that's fucking disrespectful to his doubles partner. it's not every day that you get the chance to win an olympic medal

selectivememory

Gold medal for Bencic. Pretty good final. On for a second gold medal in the doubles tomorrow as well, though the Czech team are great and have won a lot together before, so will probably be the favourites for that match.

Quote from: chveik on July 31, 2021, 02:38:39 PM
unless he really is injured, that's fucking disrespectful to his doubles partner. it's not every day that you get the chance to win an olympic medal

Yeah. I wonder if playing both singles and doubles was a bit too much for him. He says he's injured, and I expect he is really knackered, but who knows. I would be pretty pissed off though if I were his partner.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Deanjam

Djokovic was very lucky not to get dq'd for that racket sling into the crowd. There are still some people knocking about the stands and a reckless throw like that is a dq under ITF rules. He also let go of his racked when he smashed into the ground later. Two clear violations, but nothing from the umpire.

chveik

i love jabeur, she really knows how to put on a good show

FredNurke

I really hope she has a cameo in this new Dune film.

rjd2

Medvedev and Tsitsipas playing the servebots tonight in the semi finals.

selectivememory

Looks like Medvedev has done the decent thing and prevented the worst final imaginable. Shame he won't play Tsitsipas next, as that's a match-up that's developing into an interesting rivalry.

Though I can't really begrudge Opelka some success. Not a fan of his game, but he seems nice enough for an American player.

rjd2

I don't mind Isner that much really. I watch WWE, UFC and boxing "sports" which are full of people with dire political opinions so his Trumpiness doesn't bother me.

I assume plenty on the tour lean right anyhow.

Isner though has regressed from a few years ago, he was a much better returner now he is just a servebot. The tour is pretty weak so he can have plenty of success but when he bumps into a player like Medvedev he should be dispatched easily enough.

Opelka doesn't have the greatest game, but he has some nice wins in his brief career so their is definitely something to work with.

rjd2

Giorgi v Pliskova in the ladies final, randomness yet again.

selectivememory

Oh dear. More surgery for Federer. Won't play again this year at least, after that, who knows. I'm kind of surprised that he's still talking about returning to the tour; he must really love playing tennis.

chveik

it rains all the fucking time in cincinnateh