Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Strange last point, barely any reaction, brilliant win though. Can't say have really heard of Krejcikova before, but great player with ice in her veins.

selectivememory

Didn't catch the final, but she was nails in her semi, in which she was second best for long stretches but still managed to squeak through. Very clutch player from what I've seen. Got a chance to win in the doubles as well tomorrow.

chveik

been watching some Bublik highlights, that guy's great! think i'll go back to follow tennis more closely

selectivememory

Good match so far! Tsitsipas pretty solid considering it's his first major final. Not winning many points on the Djokovic serve though.

selectivememory

First set Tsitsipas. Very impressed with him so far today.

selectivememory

Two sets to love. Really hope he can finish him off, would be a big moment for men's tennis I think. We need someone from the younger generation of players to beat one of these old cunts in a final. Would feel much more significant than Thiem's US Open title.

Djokovic does look tired, and he expended a lot of energy in the last few rounds and probably a lot of emotional energy by beating Nadal. But this has been so good from Tsitsipas.

EOLAN

Commentator on Eurosport really annoying when viewers vote of winner is shown up. People vote at time in any game and cumulatively add up. So Djokovic still having 58% expecting him to win when two sets down because most votes came before match.

selectivememory

Fuck, two matches in a row he's blown a two set lead. Much tougher opponent today as well.

chveik

selectivememory

Oh well, it was fun for the first two sets at least. Don't really think he choked it away either. His level dipped a bit, but Djokovic just suddenly looked very fresh and focused in the third set after a very weary second set.

That does feel like one of his most impressive grand slam wins all in all, given it's been his worst major, the win over Nadal and then the comeback in the final. Only one of the big three to have won all four majors twice now, and can draw level with Federer and Nadal on 20 overall at Wimbledon.

chveik

congrats i guess. tsitsipas was very impressive though

EOLAN

Djokovic in that second set reminded me of Ronnie O'sullivan against Mark Selby in the World Championship semis last season. Just happy to give away the set without overly exerting himself and focus on trying restart afresh.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Krejcikova won the doubles too! First time that's happened at Roland Garros since 2000.

bgmnts

Lovely little cringe inducing stand and clap for NHS. Wonder how many cunts there vote Tory.

Deanjam

Quote from: bgmnts on June 28, 2021, 01:35:06 PM
Lovely little cringe inducing stand and clap for NHS. Wonder how many cunts there vote Tory.

All of them. Unless Bercow is in the crowd.

First set won for Jack Draper over Djokovic. Not expecting an upset, but nice to see a young Brit taking it to the champion.

selectivememory

I feel that unless someone catches him a bit cold in the first couple of rounds, this is as easy a run to another major title as Djokovic will ever get. Nadal not here, Federer still very out of practice, most of the better younger players not that experienced on grass. Berrettini looked really good at Queens, but you'd want him to play Djokovic earlier than in the final, and unfortunately he's in the other half of the draw. Medvedev maybe a threat, but given his underwhelming performance in the Aussie final earlier this year, I'm not going to expect anything big from him now until I see him actually do it.

I suppose there has been a quicker turnaround between tournaments this year, and Djokovic is 34 now, so maybe that'll start telling in the second week.

Women's side feels like it could be anyone's again, but I was pleased to see Ostapenko win a title the other day. Would really welcome a deep run in the tournament from her, as she's always a lot of fun, and the kind of player who if she used her brain on court could win a hell of a lot more than she has up until now. Former semi-finalist here, so she's got a decent record on the grass.

Deanjam

Very good match between Tiafore & Tsitsipas right now.

selectivememory

That's a rough first round draw for Tsitsipas. Coming off his long clay season it looks like it might be a bit too much for him. Always a bit surprised that Tiafoe isn't ranked higher than he is.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 28, 2021, 04:27:06 PM
Always a bit surprised that Tiafoe isn't ranked higher than he is.

The American men always seem a bit mentally weak in the post Sampras/Agassi/Courier era. Tiafore certainly has a good game for grass.

Deanjam

On court interviews at Wimbledon! End of days.

selectivememory

Oof. Brutal stuff from Murray, from 5-0 up in the third and on the brink of a comfortable straight sets win, he somehow managed to lose seven games in a row. I mean, I know he's not been on court much recently, but that was just wretched.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

selectivememory

chveik

does anyone have a realible stream site?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 28, 2021, 08:50:00 PM
Classic Murray, he's back guys

Bonanza Summer of Sport. Britain back on top of the world

lankyguy95

THE FIRST TWO SETS HE WAS BRITISH AND NOW HE'S SCOTTISH COME ON TIM

selectivememory

Well, at least he's held serve at last. Think that was five in a row he dropped.

Quote from: chveik on June 28, 2021, 08:59:55 PM
does anyone have a realible stream site?

Unfortunately I haven't used one for a while and my old ones seem to be dead. Dunno if you'd have much luck trying to access the BBC streams using a VPN.

Deanjam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 28, 2021, 08:50:00 PM
Classic Murray, he's back guys

There is something rather comforting about Andy making life needlessly difficult for himself.

selectivememory

Oh dear. Serena looks done for a few games into her first match. (edit: yep, she's done. Got to be tough one to take because it looked like a decent chance for her this year)

Had to feel bad for Mannarino earlier too when he slipped and injured his knee at 2-1 up against Federer.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 29, 2021, 07:56:10 PM
Oh dear. Serena looks done for a few games into her first match.

Retired now. Who the hell is winning this women's title? Got to be Barty's best chance.

Quote from: selectivememory on June 29, 2021, 07:56:10 PM
Had to feel bad for Mannarino earlier too when he slipped and injured his knee at 2-1 up against Federer.

Was a shame as well. Though it looked like Fed had turned it around, leading 4-1 in the fourth. But who knows what would have happened if it had continued without the injury.