Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boutique Blu-Ray Releases

Started by Chedney Honks, January 18, 2021, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Indicator doing a sale at the moment last until monday, only happens a couple of times a year with them.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

Has some stuff in it for the first time like Britannia Hospital.

Magnum Valentino

Indicator, from Powerhouse Films, a Lime Wood Media Ltd company.

PICK ONE!

Magnum Valentino

Their version of Scum is ace though, 12 quid is a steal. Great pressings of The Gorgon and Torture Garden which I should probably replace after a crisis downsize a year or so ago.

greenman

I think Powerhouse is the company that puts the releases together, Indicator is a sub label they use for older English language stuff(also do the Anti-Worlds modern arthouse label) and Limewood is the physical distribution company.

Again in my experience you only get a couple of sales from them per year, one in the spring and one in the autumn.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, greenman.

Picked up the Ford at Columbia set, and may go for the Dietrich, as well. Depends how pissed I get tomorrow, basically.

greenman

Yeah went for the Dietrich Box myself, that's very good value per film for this kind of label and a bit easier on the shelf space, Brit Hospital, Moscow on the Hudson, Night of the Demon and that Refn restored incest one I'v seen raved about.

Chedney Honks

Picked up NOTD at some point over the last few months, and it's brilliant as I'm sure you already know. Was a new one on me. Looks fantastic.

greenman

Never seen it before now, hopefully another good example of a label like this getting me to watch something I wouldn't otherwise.

That is actually an interesting effect of these labels, because their drawing people to certain films by their releases you have a bit of a shared viewing experience developing that makes up a bit for the decline of it on TV and at the cinema.

Chedney Honks

Great point, and I'll look forward to your thoughts on it when the time comes. Will be worth a thread, I reckon.

And sod it, in for a penny, just got the Dietrich, as well!

Chedney Honks

Ford at Columbia came today. Hopefully Dietrich and a couple of others on Monday. I tried to get the Body Double and NOTD LE releases but they sold out within seconds, literally. I had both open in separate tabs, refreshing every five seconds from 13:57, added both to basket within two seconds, press PayPal, two seconds later, sold out. Bit gutted! I love them both. Ended up rewatching NOTD to commiserate and it's so good, probably better second time around.

Famous Mortimer

Day Of The Beast just got a nice blu-ray release from one of the smaller labels, and it's a fucking belter.

Chedney Honks

Not heard of that but I'll stick it on the list. Looks like there's a 4K disc coming soon, as well.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Day-of-the-Beast-4K-Blu-ray/282591/

greenman

Picked up the UHD of King of Newyork in the Arrow sale Honks, pretty big upgrade relative to the old release, especially the colour grading makes the old version look very washed out.

Better film than Scarface for me.

phantom_power

I thought King of New York was meant to look washed out

Chedney Honks

Quote from: greenman on April 05, 2021, 04:37:52 PM
Picked up the UHD of King of Newyork in the Arrow sale Honks, pretty big upgrade relative to the old release, especially the colour grading makes the old version look very washed out.

Better film than Scarface for me.

I've never seen it but nearly went for it in the sale. It's not really a genre I've ever been that into but glad to hear it's a good un, and I may well end up getting it.

I picked up the Walkabout set from Second Sight which is a fantastic little package, the film looks superb. I'll inevitably start a thread on it soon.

greenman

I think Walkabout was arguably the best disk release last year even though its not UHD.

King of Newyork does have rather more to it than it might seem, excellent performances from Walken and Fishburn that I think take it beyond a typical pulpy gangster film, very well suited to UHD as well.

Dusty Substance

Picked up from CEX the 70s thriller/neo-noir Night Moves on Blu Ray the other day. Part of Warner Brothers' Premium Collection, it's technically a Boutique release but special features include a vintage featurette and theatrical trailer. That's it.

Not a bad film. One of those  films where the second half is better than the first. Solid performance from Gene Hackman, pretty great dialogue, 90% sure that Tarantino re-used a location in Pulp Fiction (the house where Butch goes after the boxing match) and features a shockingly young and naked Melanie Griffith - She was 16 at the time of shooting.

joaquin closet

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 15, 2021, 08:20:58 PM
Picked up from CEX the 70s thriller/neo-noir Night Moves on Blu Ray the other day. Part of Warner Brothers' Premium Collection, it's technically a Boutique release but special features include a vintage featurette and theatrical trailer. That's it.

Not a bad film. One of those  films where the second half is better than the first. Solid performance from Gene Hackman, pretty great dialogue, 90% sure that Tarantino re-used a location in Pulp Fiction (the house where Butch goes after the boxing match) and features a shockingly young and naked Melanie Griffith - She was 16 at the time of shooting.

I absolutely fucking love Night Moves. And am a bit in love with the other woman in it (i.e. not the 16 year old).

That is all.

mjwilson

A magazine is going to turn its hand to making Blu Ray releases: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/a-new-project-from-film-stories/

(it's Sneakers btw)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: joaquin closet on April 16, 2021, 09:13:15 AM
I absolutely fucking love Night Moves. And am a bit in love with the other woman in it (i.e. not the 16 year old).

That is all.

I was initially a little underwhelmed as it wasn't what I'd hoped it to be - ie: something more akin to The French Connection or Dirty Harry, something a bit more action based with a decent car chase or two, but I've not stopped thinking about the final act of Night Moves. Obviously won't spoilt it for those who haven't seen it, but there's something haunting about the closing image of
Spoiler alert
Gene Hackman bleeding to death in a boat as it endlessly circles round and round
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 15, 2021, 08:20:58 PM

What about an interactive menu?

Fopp have got a 2 for £25 Criterion sale on at the moment. Mostly the same old stuff though.

greenman

The Arrow Jodorowsk boxset going for £40 at the moment rather than £54.

Sebastian Cobb

Tempted to get the Polyester boxset for the scratch and sniff Odorama card.

cUnT-CrAzY

This is waspy.. managed to lose my password for my main account when I changed password manager :(

The Irreversible Indicator release arrived today - looking forward to checking that out!

Chedney Honks

Outstanding alt account.

Looking forward to Irreversible because it's Indicator, but got a fuckin tonne of BD sets over the last couple of months of sales. Got the Fuller, Dietrich and Ford boxes from Indicator plus Jodorowsky, Sartana, Jissoji, Rohmer and Female Prisoner Scorpion sets from Arrow, with a couple more Borowczyk to go. All at least very enjoyable from what I've seen so far. Got a bunch of fantastic Eureka Westerns and assorted HK/JP stuff currently floating my boat a great deal, too. Now I just need to book a few months off to watch the buggers.

colacentral

Semi-related, but I noticed yesterday that you can get Mubi for £1 for three months when starting a new account on an LG TV app. I know a few of us here have the LG CX or C9. It might as well be three months free at that price.

phantom_power

Mubi and BFI were having a "3 months for 99p a month" deal recently as well on Amazon Prime

cUnT-CrAzY

Irreversible was really good, the extras are really good too. I had forgotten how much of an impact that film has on you after watching it. I will watch the straight cut version one day when I am really happy and in need of some grounding.

Its hilarious that when you think hey this scene reminds me of deliverance.. that Gaspar was indeed influenced by Deliverance.

WKW box set out soon.. dunno whether to hold of on a sale before splurging on that.

greenman

Quote from: cUnT-CrAzY on May 08, 2021, 04:00:53 PM
WKW box set out soon.. dunno whether to hold of on a sale before splurging on that.

I'm guessing you might be waiting awhile for that to be offered at a cheaper price.