Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boutique Blu-Ray Releases

Started by Chedney Honks, January 18, 2021, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Not Boutique I spose but just watched Raiders from the new Indy UHD boxset, pleasantly supprised that it looks like theres been very little fucking around with it, no or at least no obvious DNR, not ultra sharp a lot of the time but stuff like the Well of the Souls does look really nice.

Chedney Honks

Some decent 20% sales on Criterion at the moment on Amazon, Zavvi and HMV. I picked up Carnival of Souls which was apparently an influence on Night of the Living Dead, and The Music Room, my first Satyajit Ray film. Been interested in him for a while and this sounds very interesting and sumptuous. Also picked up Mishima and Sansho a little while back, both beautiful sets although I've not finished them yet.

One of my favourite recent BBRR is this:

Extremely cheerful and entertaining documentary about two California lads who chase waves across the globe, riding the endless summer.

As a fair warning, however, there are some anachronistic, culturally insensitive comments which I find racist during the west Africa section.

The overall tone is wholesome, goofy and enthusiastic and I very much enjoyed it as escapism to a world which no longer exists, in any of these locales. I just wish the fascination with 'primitivism' had remained in the past.

greenman

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 07, 2021, 09:20:41 PM
Some decent 20% sales on Criterion at the moment on Amazon, Zavvi and HMV. I picked up Carnival of Souls which was apparently an influence on Night of the Living Dead, and The Music Room, my first Satyajit Ray film. Been interested in him for a while and this sounds very interesting and sumptuous. Also picked up Mishima and Sansho a little while back, both beautiful sets although I've not finished them yet.

Not as cheap as some previous sales but it does include some of the slipcase releases which normally arent in them, Sancho the Baliff for £20 rather than £26.

I would definitely put Carnival of Souls into the same kind of lofi somewhat arty 60's horror as Night of the Living Dead, Night Tide(exellent version on Indicator) with a young Dennis Hopper I think pushes the same style even further back, albeit a bit more quirky.

cUnT-CrAzY

Have you guys seen the WKW box set from Criterion? - Looks so cheaply made :(

A bit late - but I picked up Christine and a couple of other films from the powerhouse sale.

Sebastian Cobb

BYNWR restored Night Tide (and Shanty Tramp) a while back. I think you can stream it for free and it was on mubi for a while. They seemed to have a line in restoring knackered and found films and often had an interesting disclaimer detailing where they found it (at least some were stock found in abandoned film labs) and how they had to switch out certain bits at times.

There was a colourised version of Carnival of the Souls on at least one release, I haven't watched that version all the way through but the clips made it look bright and almost cheerful rather than the dark and moody monochrome version.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: cUnT-CrAzY on June 14, 2021, 02:54:22 PM
Have you guys seen the WKW box set from Criterion? - Looks so cheaply made :(

I don't get that in the hand. Feels very premium for what that's worth.

(£149.99)

frajer

I recently blind-bought Eureka Cinema's release of VIY (1697) and I'm so glad I did as I absolutely loved it.

The first horror film to be produced in the Soviet Union, it has a very distinct flavour to it which makes it fascinating and a hugely enjoyable watch. I'm a fan of folklore horror and it was brilliant to see something so similar and yet so different. The pace is a little slow in the first half but I didn't mind as it's a rich world to wallow in. Once the seminary student Khoma seals himself in the church the film becomes relentless, and never lets up until the end. Special note to the fabulous visual effects, some of which naturally now look old hat, but are vibrant, creatively and skilfully realised, and absolutely sell the otherworldly experiences Khoma is subjected to.

A fantastic package of an obscure film that make you glad companies like Eureka exist. If you're a fan of supernatural folklore I'd highly recommend picking this up.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: frajer on June 16, 2021, 10:38:45 AM
I recently blind-bought Eureka Cinema's release of VIY (1697) and I'm so glad I did as I absolutely loved it.

I started this and found it a bit little slow to get going (for the time I had that evening) but it was very atmospheric. I understand that it moves through the gears so I will finish it. And I agree, something I would never have watched without Eureka.

greenman

You have to admire using urine on monks habits as a film stock in the 17th century as well.

frajer

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 20, 2021, 06:47:13 AM
I started this and found it a bit little slow to get going (for the time I had that evening) but it was very atmospheric. I understand that it moves through the gears so I will finish it. And I agree, something I would never have watched without Eureka.

After the opening incident it definitely is a slow burner, but once it kicks off the final act rockets along. I snagged the limited edition release which includes A Holy Place, a 1990 adaptation of the same short story, so will be interesting to compare and contrast.

I've ordered Eureka's recent release of The Hands of Orlac and looking forward to giving that a watch. Thought the trailer was magnificently creepy.

another Mr. Lizard

Have been catching up on Eureka releases this week, really enjoyed Waxorks and The Hands of Orlac (the latter being a first-time view). Encounter of the Spooky Kind to follow sometime this weekend.

The Severin website had its usual twice-yearly glitches at sale time last night - eventually I got in and picked up my target purchases. Label boss David Gregory is over here in the UK at present - he's posted photos of himself interviewing Simon Pegg, and Peter Richardson, and I think he's spoken to Nigel Planer too, so it seems some kind of Comic Strip Presents... and/or Guest House Paradiso release is in the pipeline. Nothing confirmed yet.

David has already announced a planned special edition of Don't Go In The House as part of a forthcoming video nasty project (a box set, possibly?) - and his UK trip also had him rummaging around in a barn examining really badly-stored prints and elements of James Kenelm Clarke movies, suggesting that Expose/The House on Straw Hill might form part of the same release. The reels and film cans looked in absolutely awful condition, so whether anything could be salvaged, who knows? The film did get a US Blu-ray release a few years ago on another label.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on June 25, 2021, 09:51:34 AM
Have been catching up on Eureka releases this week, really enjoyed Waxorks and The Hands of Orlac (the latter being a first-time view). Encounter of the Spooky Kind to follow sometime this weekend.

I'm tempted by those silents but probably down the road somewhat. I loved Spooky, though. A first watch for me and I thought it was brilliant fun. Heard the commentary is excellent, as well, so I'll get to that at some point.

greenman

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 25, 2021, 10:29:34 AM
I'm tempted by those silents but probably down the road somewhat. I loved Spooky, though. A first watch for me and I thought it was brilliant fun. Heard the commentary is excellent, as well, so I'll get to that at some point.

Spookey might have my favorite finale of any HK action film, mysticism, comedy and really snappy fun fight scenes.

The English dub of the opening scene with the talking urns is comedy genius as well.

Chedney Honks

It's one I know I'll be rewatching for years to come. Really fun and satisfying.

I'm currently watching the Synapse 4K UHD of Suspiria and it's fucking outstanding. I had the Cult Films UHD and it was excellent (as is the BD) but this is something else. The colours and HDR are extraordinary, the best reds I've ever seen. It's not one for super fine details throughout, there are some softer shots, but the HDR is unreal.

wasp_f15ting

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7494-citizen-kane-to-lead-criterion-s-first-4k-slate

Fantastic news..

I don't want to buy red-shoes AGAIN.. but if you force me..

Apparently the 4K discs wont have the extras, but the BD will. An exciting change really as I am sure more and more releases will see there way onto 4k.
What Criterion releases would you like to see in 4K? - The top of my list is probably the Thin Red Line and the Pressburger films - perhaps the Real of the senses too.

greenman

They were pretty much forced into it in the end I suspect by rival lables putting out the same films in UHD, I suspect Mullholland Drive will be released on UHD by Studio Canal in Europe though and indeed most likely they rather than Criterion are behind creating the new UHD master as they were with The Elephant Man.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 25, 2021, 08:05:00 PM
It's one I know I'll be rewatching for years to come. Really fun and satisfying.

I'm currently watching the Synapse 4K UHD of Suspiria and it's fucking outstanding. I had the Cult Films UHD and it was excellent (as is the BD) but this is something else. The colours and HDR are extraordinary, the best reds I've ever seen. It's not one for super fine details throughout, there are some softer shots, but the HDR is unreal.

I think that might be the best all round UHD I'v seen, its actually supprising detailed for a film of that era as well I'd say ontop of the more expected HDR.

Chedney Honks

Yeah, I really love it. Need to rewatch again, such a physical, sensuous film.

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on August 13, 2021, 04:39:03 PM
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7494-citizen-kane-to-lead-criterion-s-first-4k-slate
What Criterion releases would you like to see in 4K?

Also thrilled about this news, especially for The Red Shoes. You turned me onto that earlier in this thread and I loved it.

As for what else I'd like from Criterion, I'd personally love some more arthouse releases on 4k. I have been well into the 4K catalogue and genre releases of 70s-90s films from various labels, including the big fellas, but there's a paucity of artier fayre. Malick, WKW, Kurosawa, Kobayashi, King Hu, Yang, gimme gimme... Night of the Hunter would be fantastic with HDR. Honestly, I'll pick up as much as I can.

greenman

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 15, 2021, 12:55:54 PMAlso thrilled about this news, especially for The Red Shoes. You turned me onto that earlier in this thread and I loved it.

As for what else I'd like from Criterion, I'd personally love some more arthouse releases on 4k. I have been well into the 4K catalogue and genre releases of 70s-90s films from various labels, including the big fellas, but there's a paucity of artier fayre. Malick, WKW, Kurosawa, Kobayashi, King Hu, Yang, gimme gimme... Night of the Hunter would be fantastic with HDR. Honestly, I'll pick up as much as I can.

So far Apoc Now, Don't Look Now, Kubrick(Clockwork Orange next then I suspect Eyes Wide Shut), The Elephant Man, Breathless, Ran and Crash that would arguably qualify on the artier side I'd say although most of them more on the commercial side of it.

Kieślowski's French films are getting a UHD release there in the autumn so I wouldnt be supprised if we saw Criterion or someone else put them out although I suspect it will be more a case of them just starting to do certain new releases in UHD rather than being in a rush to replace releases they already have on bluray.

The BFi have also thrownt here hate into the ring doing a UHD of The Seventh Seal so they could be a source of artier releases it the future perhaps? I'd imagine Kurosawa would probably be done by the Japanese studios themselves same with a lot of big names, Soviet Tarkovsky for example probably not going to happen anytime soon as Mosfilm have the masters and do scanning in house at 2K. I wouldnt mind seeing some Greenaway in UHD, I think he'd probably suit it well with the very detailed production design although I spose perhaps not popular enough beyond Cook, Thef Wife Lover.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 15, 2021, 12:55:54 PM
Kurosawa

Almost certain that there is a 4K UHD AK box set on the way from at least Criterion (it would probs be US-only as a lot of his films have different rights holders in the UK) - they hinted at a blu upgrade of the AK 100 DVD set a few years ago but it never materialised and people in the know reckon they (Criterion) have been holding out to do it as 4K.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 15, 2021, 06:05:58 PM
Almost certain that there is a 4K UHD AK box set on the way from at least Criterion (it would probs be US-only as a lot of his films have different rights holders in the UK) - they hinted at a blu upgrade of the AK 100 DVD set a few years ago but it never materialised and people in the know reckon they (Criterion) have been holding out to do it as 4K.

Again though in that case I suspect Criterion would probably not be the ones doing the scanning/remastering, Toho probably will be and then the results filtering down to western sub lables.

Could well be BFi releasing them on UHD in the UK if it happens.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on August 15, 2021, 06:36:11 PM
Could well be BFi releasing them on UHD in the UK if it happens.

Well, Studio Canal have recently released the UHD of Ran of course (which, sadly, isn't the upgrade from the blu that you would've hoped... it's...fine), so it's already starting to happen outside of Japan.  I just hope that there will be individual releases - much as I love AK, there are more than a few which I'm not overly bothered about having in UHD, and several of them probably won't even be as much of an upgrade as Ran

Josef K

Very exciting news about Criterion in 4k.

Though I'm hoping some of the 4k output makes its way to the Criterion Channel sometime soon. Considering I rarely rewatch films, buying the discs doesn't make much sense and watching them on the channel is a good compromise.

They've previously been pretty good about updating the versions on the channel - the fantastic Come and See remaster was up within weeks of a blu ray release and the controversial WKW boxset got put on fairly recently (original transfers are still there as 'alternate versions').

Very much recommend subscribing, once you've signed up you don't even need a VPN to watch

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 15, 2021, 06:57:10 PM
Well, Studio Canal have recently released the UHD of Ran of course (which, sadly, isn't the upgrade from the blu that you would've hoped... it's...fine), so it's already starting to happen outside of Japan.  I just hope that there will be individual releases - much as I love AK, there are more than a few which I'm not overly bothered about having in UHD, and several of them probably won't even be as much of an upgrade as Ran

Toho didnt have the master reels to Ran though I believe, they just distributed it in Japan were as a lot of the crown jewels in places like Japan and Russia it is probably going to be the companies involved doing the remastering if it happens.

On a similar kind of subject as well picked up the Criterion version of Mirror on Bluray a couple of weeks ago and it is definitely an upgrade on the older version on Artfical Eye, sharper and without the purple colour cast, good set of extras as well compared to a lot of soviet films including a documentary by Tarkovsky's son that probably would have been worth picking up on its own.

another Mr. Lizard

Severin have just announced their upcoming twenty-film Folk Horror-themed box set, with very few details yet regarding content, though it will feature Kier-la Janisse's three-hour documentary which is doing the festival rounds. Looking forward to hearing what's on this - hopefully a few sought-after titles and obscurities, and less of the F-H big-hitters (of which I think the label may only have the rights to Blood On Satan's Claw)

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on August 23, 2021, 02:19:23 PM
Severin have just announced their upcoming twenty-film Folk Horror-themed box set, with very few details yet regarding content, though it will feature Kier-la Janisse's three-hour documentary which is doing the festival rounds. Looking forward to hearing what's on this - hopefully a few sought-after titles and obscurities, and less of the F-H big-hitters (of which I think the label may only have the rights to Blood On Satan's Claw)

Ooh, that looks nice. Do they usually do a UK sales things or will it be a case of shipping from the US?

another Mr. Lizard

Despite being run by two guys from Nottingham, it'll be a case of ordering from the States. At least they are still shipping over to the UK, unlike some labels and distributors. Announcements due very soon about what will be on this set (Eyes of Fire, Lemora, Necromancy, Viy, and Blood on Satan's Claw have been mentioned in informed fan speculation so far)

holyzombiejesus

Just been announced. About 150 quid including postage.

DISC 1:
WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED
Kier-La Janisse, USA, 2021

DISC 2:
EYES OF FIRE
Avery Crounse, USA, 1983

DISC 3:
LEPTIRICA
Djordje Kadijevic, Serbia, 1973

DISC 4:
WITCHHAMMER
Otakar Vávra, Czechoslovakia, 1970

VIY
Konstantin Ershov, Georgiy Kropachyov, Soviet Union, 1967

DISC 5:
LAKE OF THE DEAD
Kåre Bergstrøm, Norway, 1958

TILBURY
Viðar Víkingsson, Iceland, 1987

DISC 6:
THE DREAMING
Mario Andreacchio, Australia, 1988

KADAICHA
James Bogle, Australia 1988

DISC 7:
CELIA
Ann Turner, Australia, 1989

ALISON'S BIRTHDAY
Ian Coughlan, Australia, 1981

DISC 8:
WILCZYCA
Marek Piestrak, Poland, 1983

LOKIS: A MANUSCRIPT OF PROFESSOR WITTEMBACH
Janusz Majewski, Poland, 1970

DISC 9:
CLEARCUT
Ryszard Bugajski, Canada, 1991

DISC 10:
IL DEMONIO
Brunello Rondi, Italy, 1963

DARK WATERS
Mariano Baino, Russia/UK/Ukraine/Italy, 1993

DISC 11:
A FIELD IN ENGLAND
Ben Wheatley, UK, 2012

ANCHORESS
Chris Newby, UK, 1993

DISC 12:
PENDA'S FEN
Alan Clarke, UK, 1974

ROBIN REDBREAST
James MacTaggart, UK, 1970

ALL THE HAUNTS BE OURS — 126+ Page Book
Curated by Kier-La Janisse, this beautifully-illustrated book designed by Luke Insect features new writing by Andy Paciorek, Stephen Volk, Mitch Horowitz, Dawn Keetley, Sarah Chavez, Stephen R. Bissette and Dejan Ognjanović alongside a selection of illuminating archival pieces and a breakdown of all the films in the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5UBxgiRiQ

greenman

I see HMV have got Ugetsu and Sansho the Balliff at somewhat lower prices now Honks, £18 rather than £26.

Have picked up some UHD's beyond standard Hollywood blockbusters recently, Santa Sangre and The Servant, former doesn't have HDR but still does look really good and the latter might be the best looking monochrome films I'v seen in UHD so far.

Quote from: greenman on September 26, 2021, 10:53:53 AMSanta Sangre

Yes, mate :D Did a rewatch of that not so long ago and I think I liked it even better second time round!

Chedney Honks

Quote from: greenman on September 26, 2021, 10:53:53 AM
I see HMV have got Ugetsu and Sansho the Balliff at somewhat lower prices now Honks, £18 rather than £26.

Cheers. I picked up Sansho a little while back with not quite as generous an offer, but got Ugetsu, Tree of Life and Monterey Pop in the Amazon Crito sale recently for £18/£22. Will check HMV and see if they have any different titles.