Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Salt in cheap / light lager

Started by canadagoose, January 19, 2021, 01:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

(pancreas leaves thread disgusted[nb]The user, not the useless inactive lump in my abdomen[/nb])

Does anyone else do this? I started doing it after K suggested that I add it to my lager a few months ago, and I've started doing it again. It's weirdly satisfying. Maybe I'm just a bit of a salt addict, possibly because my blood tests often show low sodium levels for some reason. I don't have beer that often nowadays because I'm restricted in what I have due to the gluten in a lot of types (except lagers), but when I do it's really tempting.

Does anyone else like it, or have any odd things that they do to beer for fun?

bgmnts

I suppose salt makes you thirsty as fuck (I actually put extra salt in my food to make me thirsty and drink water) but salt in lager does sound nasty.

May try it one day though. How much does one put in?

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2021, 02:34:52 AM
I suppose salt makes you thirsty as fuck (I actually put extra salt in my food to make me thirsty and drink water) but salt in lager does sound nasty.

May try it one day though. How much does one put in?
Just a pinch for half a pint. Try it and see what you reckon!

Dex Sawash

Mexicans sometimes put salt on the rim of a beer can. Some gas stations have a pile of salt packets at the register. These are sometimes flavored salts (citrus usually). It is different.

Hand Solo

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sebastian Cobb

If you're after gluten free stuff, this stuff is alright. It was set up by the CTO in my last company after being diagnosed a coeliac, which is why we never saw him in our work.

https://www.bellfieldbrewery.com/

wooders1978

I had a salt beer at a craft lager ale in town a while back, pre COVID, can't say it was my thing but if I recall correctly, it's how coastal towns (in Cornwall maybe) had it years ago, so there is some tradition behind it

beanheadmcginty

Surely if you do this you'll be even less likely to be able to distinguish it from piss?

Marner and Me

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 19, 2021, 05:10:34 PM
Surely if you do this you'll be even less likely to be able to distinguish it from piss?
I've got mates that rave over Carling, I really don't know how Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg sell.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2021, 09:19:31 AM
If you're after gluten free stuff, this stuff is alright. It was set up by the CTO in my last company after being diagnosed a coeliac, which is why we never saw him in our work.

https://www.bellfieldbrewery.com/
I've heard of their stuff, but I've never tried it - I'll have to have a try next time I see it around, thanks. I like how it's locally brewed, at least!

Shit Good Nose

Big in various regions in Italy, and not always because the beer is cheap or tasteless.

Could never fathom it myself.  An ancient Italian relative once told me (years ago when I were a lad) it was something they used to do when making bread and/or cooking pasta, they'd throw some of the salt that spilled over into their beer so it didn't go to waste.  Eventually people got a taste for it and they started brewing beer with salt as an ingredient added during the brewing process.  Not sure if that was just what happened locally, or if it goes for all regions.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

canadagoose

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 19, 2021, 07:42:31 PM
A few commercial efforts popped up:

http://cookita.net/en/index.php/product/messina-beer-at-crystals-salt-500-ml/
https://www.corso101.com/en/la-cotta/50418-la-cotta-marinera-shop-online-homemade-italian-salt-beer-75cl.html
https://www.corso101.com/en/beer/59572-shop-online-italian-beer-salinae-cervia-saline-salt-flats-double-malt-amber-75cl-3-bottles.html

Yeah, shouldn't be a surprise really. Gose works very nicely.

In terms of Mediterranean varieties I've come across an IPA with olives in Majorca, while Grape Ale is really widespread now across Italy.
You know quite a few beers, don't you - I don't suppose you know of a gluten-free gose that I can get around here? I've seen ones in America, but not really seen any here.

flotemysost

I suppose it's pretty standard to have salty crisps or pork scratchings (or if you're in Russia, dried salted octopus) [nb][/nb] alongside a pint so you're just cutting out the middleman really.

flotemysost

Re: unusual accompaniments with beer, I remember an old colleague telling me that her mum had been anorexic in the Seventies and the doctor's advice was to drink a pint of Guinness a day to put on weight, but the only way she could stomach it was to have a pack of Malteasers alongside it (which hopefully did the job nicely).

phes

I noticed recently that drinking Cantillon with about a one third orange juice has become a thing. I haven't tried this so should avoid being snobby but it does strike me as turning a decent geuze into a shite kriek. Just save the money and buy the shite one

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: canadagoose on January 19, 2021, 09:25:05 PM
You know quite a few beers, don't you - I don't suppose you know of a gluten-free gose that I can get around here? I've seen ones in America, but not really seen any here.

https://brasscastle.co.uk/online-craft-beer-shop/cans/pizzazz-4-5-sun-dried-tomato-sweet-basil-gose-440ml-can/

This looks quite mad.

canadagoose

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never tried salty beer, but I like a pinch of salt in my coffee so I can imagine it working. Salt lowers your sensitivity to bitter tastes, making things taste sweeter (and also saltier) so I assume it would render a pint of bitter flavourless and turn American beers into syrup.

Sebastian Cobb

I made buttered coffee with salted butter by mistake once, didn't like it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 20, 2021, 10:14:09 PM
I made buttered coffee with salted butter by mistake once, didn't like it.

Try it on fresh bread (salted butter), with big salt crystals. Warm the butter up just a little.

Fuck the coffee

Sebastian Cobb

I've got big Himalayan pink salt crystals as a kosher salt substitute but that sounds a bit much tbh.

thenoise

My wife got some salted caramel hot chocolate for Christmas. Its fucking rank. Maybe I should try putting it in my beer?

Replies From View

As far as I'm concerned if the entire top inch of a pint glass isn't gleaming with rock salt it's not a pure beverage.

The difficulty is getting it to float!  My 'solution' is to fill the entire pint glass with rock salt then dribble beverage in to just below the top inch line.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on January 21, 2021, 09:14:16 AM
My wife got some salted caramel hot chocolate for Christmas. Its fucking rank. Maybe I should try putting it in my beer?

I don't mind salted caramel, it's about time people who prefer savoury things got a look in on the sweets.