Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Batman (animated series's)

Started by madhair60, January 19, 2021, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Got a little bit of money for Xmas and I've just spent it on the Batman: The Animated Series blu-ray. Haven't actually seen it for a while and was concerned it wouldn't hold up, but, well, it clearly does and is brilliant.

Batman and DC in general have a pretty decent, storied history with animation, especially since the 90s.

Any other fans?

BJBMK2

Loved it then, love it now. That Blu Ray set includes the Mask Of The Phantasm movie too I think. Probably the best depiction of Batman on screen, and miles above what Tim Burton was crapping out the previous year.

madhair60

Mask of the Phantasm is fuckin superb, agreed - I didn't actually clock that it was on there. Brilliant.

Magnum Valentino

Love it. Batman Beyond is brilliant on Blu-Ray as well and available at the minute, although a few of those episodes are upscaled as the masters were lost. Batman TAS has some of the best cartoon episodes ever made.

I love the silence. Some scenes just have no music whatsoever, including places you'd normally expect it, like when Batman's looking for clues or having a big fight. Watch the sequence in Sideshow where Croc makes his way through the woods with the volume turned way up. The foley is fucking amazing.

I love the redesigned episodes, the last 18 or so. The fluidity of the streamlined animation is incredible in those later shows. Critters is justifiably slated, and Over the Edge justifiably lauded. Very interested to hear folks' thoughts on the later shows as they're not generally as well loved it seems.

Replies From View

i have britbox

why don't they put cartooned batmen on britbox

Magnum Valentino

Actually mate you must not have known this but brit box isn't any good and it's really bad, is maybe why?

Marner and Me

Downloaded it all from Pirate Bay, and had to bin it off to make way for music. I was enjoying it and may well download it again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 19, 2021, 02:09:55 PM
Actually mate you must not have known this but brit box isn't any good and it's really bad, is maybe why?

how can they have the good life on it but not even batmen cartoons

same production company so can't be a rights issue

The Culture Bunker

I enjoyed it a lot at the time it was on - big part of it was the quality of Kevin Conroy's voice acting (in my opinion, he's been the best in the role over all the various media) and obviously Mark Hamill whenever the Joker appeared. Enjoyed the subsequent Batman Beyond and Justice League series too, probably the best DC-related stuff out there.

I think the show was a lot better when Batman was on his own with Alfred back at base, with no Robin or Batgirl getting in the way.

sirhenry

I was really surprised by Batman Ninja in that the story was painfully predictable but in the first 10 minutes the beauty of the artwork overrides all other criticism. Happily watched the whole thing (and may even watch it again) even though it doesn't get any better as it goes along.

OK, it isn't part of a series, but I never got round to watching them despite all the praise Batman Beyond got.

phantom_power

Slightly tangential but the new Harley Quinn animated series is great. Really funny and with some great voice actors.

Quote from: BJBMK2 on January 19, 2021, 11:35:09 AM
miles above what Tim Burton was crapping out the previous year.

counterpoint: the first Burtonman is shit, the one that Daniel Waters wrote is a masterpiece

MojoJojo

Quote from: phantom_power on January 20, 2021, 09:23:41 AM
Slightly tangential but the new Harley Quinn animated series is great. Really funny and with some great voice actors.

It is good - don't be put off by the zany over-the-top violence they try in the first couple of episodes, it stops.

Fambo Number Mive

Bought the first series of The Animated Series on Youtube for £15 (cheaper to buy the DVD I think).

Watched the Clock King episode which was really good, The Last Laugh with Joker (ok), On Leather Wings (ok, not a big fan of Man-Bat really) and am watching the Two Face double bill.

I still remember the episode I've Got Batman in my Basement when two kids discover Batman in their house and have to help look after him.

Magnum Valentino

For anyone interested in the making of this series, the 2 hour documentary from the blu-ray was recently added to YouTube. It's very good.

https://youtu.be/dZLpDvQ6vFI