Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supervillain henchpeople

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 19, 2021, 04:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I'm assuming that working for the Penguin pays much more than most jobs in Gotham City, but you do wonder why anyone would choose to work for the Joker (likely to murder you slowly on a whim) or Two-Face (makes all decisions on a coin toss, which is a strategy not recommended in business handbooks). Two-Face would toss a coin if you asked for a day off.

I wonder how villains in Gotham City and other such places find henchpeople. Is it through word of mouth or is there a known recruiting place that people can go to to sign up to help Bane or Poison Ivy? Does the Riddler make people sit a test?

Do ordinary criminals think it a step up to move from working from a normal villain to a supervillain, or is it something only the desperate would do? We don't really have any supervillains in real life - maybe the Krays were seen as celebrity villains by the press but in real life they were pretty grim.

Which Batman villain would you most like to work for? If I had to, I'd probably work for the Riddler, it might be good for my brain.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd work with Catwoman, because there'd be an incredibly remote chance that she might sleep with me, possibly while she was in a good mood after a successful heist. I'd be her Catman, and together we would terrorise Gotham.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd go with someone lesser-known who commits smaller crimes so as not to attract Batman's attention. Car thief Brian or someone like that.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 19, 2021, 04:42:50 PMWe don't really have any supervillains in real life

I'd call 'earning' £54,758 a minute more of hypervillain-tier, whether caped-n-costumed or just super-bald bastardry.

My bro is a low-level stormtrooper for this cunt, and still sings along to Levellers songs, the shitstain.

Norton Canes

I'd work for Two Face and ask him to chose one thing from a set of three. Just out of curiosity, to see how he did it.

Norton Canes

Like, would he pair up his two least preferred things and have an eliminator round before the grand final? No. I think that would irk him since the process would not then be entirely random. More likely he'd play out some sort of elaborate round robin of match-ups.

Norton Canes

Marner and Me

I doubt they have to much choice in the matter.

greenman

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 19, 2021, 04:42:50 PM
I'm assuming that working for the Penguin pays much more than most jobs in Gotham City, but you do wonder why anyone would choose to work for the Joker (likely to murder you slowly on a whim) or Two-Face (makes all decisions on a coin toss, which is a strategy not recommended in business handbooks). Two-Face would toss a coin if you asked for a day off.

A much better likehood of getting requested paid holidays than the average American.

Butchers Blind

Wouldn't do it.  It would just be total agg. Like the big boss in Bond films, too many people to keep an eye on. Constant HR issues.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Ooh, good question.

I reckon it's pretty hard to make a living from crime by yourself in Gotham, if you're a petty criminal engaged in "physical" crimes (burglary, hold-ups, muggings etc.) Rob too many convenience stores at gunpoint in the same area, and that'll bring Batman (or at least Robin or Batgirl) around, which will piss off the costumed villains and organised crime gangs. It has to be something where nobody gets hurt and that doesn't attract too much attention from the various costumed vigilantes patrolling the city. Maybe burglarising empty homes or shops (as long as you avoid joke shops, pet shops, flower shops and front businesses for the mob). White collar crime seems safer, as long as you don't accidentally swindle a mobster out of their money. You might get away with growing weed as long as you sell it somewhere else so as not to incur the wrath of the cartels.

Given all that, I can see why a lot of low-level criminals either end up as henchmen for a costumed villain or working for the various mob outfits. If I had to choose, I'd work for the Falcone or Maroni crime families. Mostly because they have rules and can usually buy off cops. You get caught, you keep your mouth shut, and all is well. The Joker'd do anything. Can't trust him.

(I bet there's at least one Batman story where burglars rob shops and leave a joker card behind so that the owners go "Okay we don't want trouble with the Joker, let's just take the hit on the insurance and not involve the police." I bet it doesn't end well for them.)

bgmnts

Thing is though, does Batman go after like con artists or white collar criminals? He always seems to spend his nights roughing up thick thugs or supervillains.

You could probably get by if you commit your crimes in the day time.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2021, 08:19:15 PM
Thing is though, does Batman go after like con artists or white collar criminals? He always seems to spend his nights roughing up thick thugs or supervillains.

Well, yeah, I mentioned that. But at the same time you've got to be careful if you're targeting people in Gotham, because you don't want to fall afoul of other, better connected criminals. Wouldn't be great to be skimming off funds you're supposed to be managing and then discover the money belongs to the Triads.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2021, 08:19:15 PM

Batman's basically a libertarian wank fantasy, so white-collar crime is probably not actually crime.