Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"tell them to get their heads out of their arses and find me a coke"

Started by smoker, June 23, 2005, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Hang on a minute! How long have you been back? Where've you been? Are you staying? Take your coat off. Welcome back.

TraceyQ

<picks nose and wipes bogies on Smoker>

What. Are. You. Fucking. Talking. About?

yes, I know really. I just don't care

smoker

oh yeah, sorry, been back a week now. hello again everyone

terminallyrelaxed

Does this mean we can now have a Great White Hope who actually has, you know, a hope?

Pinball

gazzyk1ns

Everyone hates Henman here, don't they? I feel a little bit sorry for him really, most of the hype isn't his fault. I'm sure he'd rather it was toned down because of the enormous pressure, and it's got to be a little embarrassing having very vocal fans who cheer your opponent's double-faults. Maybe he should tactfully say something in a press conference, I think I would have done by now.

terminallyrelaxed

I don't dislike Henman, but I don't think he'll ever win Wimbledon, and all these credulous fanatics do more to alienate him than he does. I find them embarrassing, frankly. As you say he'd probably have a better chance with less pressure if middle England stayed at home.

Nuts 'n Gum

i like henman, he's a down to earth chappie.
the crowd gets on my tits too, surely he can't concentrate between points due to the noise, which must be frustrating!

chand

I'm sure the crowd's great for Henman when he's on a roll, but whenever he's in trouble or really needing to concentrate, it must fuck him right off being able to hear individual housewives yelling 'COME ON TIIIIIIM!'. I feel a bit sorry for him because the pressure on him to win Wimbledon is massive, and no matter what other titles he wins, British people only really give a shit about these two weeks. If he fails to win Wimbledon, as far as many are concerned he's shit.

I expect all this 'THE WAYNE ROONEY OF TENNIS!' stuff to ruin Andy Murray's chances as well.

chand

terminallyrelaxed

I take it back, he could still win Wimbledon, older men have done it, so who knows. Maybe he'll meet some Yoda-like coach who will hone his game like Mr Miyagi or Bagger Vance.

InfiniteFury

There was a woman now on ITV news who said that Tim Henman had personally let her down and that she hoped he was watching because he had ruined her life.

I'm not kidding. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I hate Tim Henman by proxy of his hardcore fans, he himself isn't *that* dislikeable, though he is arrogant.

I enjoy their reaction, what can I say?

chand

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"There was a woman now on ITV news who said that Tim Henman had personally let her down and that she hoped he was watching because he had ruined her life.

I'd like it if Henman came out and just said 'Aw fuck off! I am fucking trying, you know! I'm not taking criticism from you cunts who couldn't give two shits about tennis the other fifty fucking weeks of the year!'.

terminallyrelaxed

The woman wearing the union jack dress said "I feel he's let me down personally, if you're watching Tim, I'm very disappointed!"

Barmy.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"he himself isn't *that* dislikeable, though he is arrogant.
Why do you think that? Is it from that clip that was on ITV where he said he was the 9th best in the world? I don't think there was much wrong with that, press people will be harrassing him for ages now with annoying 'so you're just totally shit now right Tim?' style questions. I'd get annoyed by being asked if I was going to retire because I lost a match, he's ranked bladdy 9th best in the entire world. He's always come across as a fairly nice, down to earth guy in all the interviews I've seen. Although he occasionally comes across as a schoolboy having a tantrum during matches when he does all that talking to himself and stuff.
I don't like the whole "Henman's just shit" attitude (not refering to anyone here with that by the way). It normally comes from people who don't know anything about tennis and just want to have an opinion that differs from everyone elses so they can seem more cool. He did have a really fair chance of winning Wimbledon in the last ten years. A lot of people seem to think if you haven't won any Grand Slams you are therefore shit and that's just not the case. Wimbledon always starts annoying arguments. Like that moron last year who claimed it was a game for the upper class and that the players are unreasonable in demanding silence when they play. Just fuck off.

dan dirty ape

Has anyone else noticed that Henman has the exact same voice as Jack Dee?

I'm just counting the days until the British tabloids turn on him.

lankinpark

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Has anyone else noticed that Henman has the exact same voice as Jack Dee?

Nah, he's Nigel "Dennis off of EastEnders" Harman all the way.

InfiniteFury

Re: Tim's arrogance.

Well, you know, I'm not exactly bosom-buddies with the guy so I can only go on his press appearances and admittedly the British press aren't always encouraging but he seems to be uniformly incapable of accepting justifiable criticism instead blaming it on something/one else and he has the manner and aloofness in way of speaking to people that I would still dislike (but expect) in, you know, a consistent champion

Look, I just think the guy's a bit of a cunt.

Detective John Kimble

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"I'm just counting the days until the British tabloids turn on him.

The Sun's cover today has a picture of Henman with "ZERO" above it, and a picture of Murray with "HERO" above it, and that's just for starters.  The back pages of just about every rag are filled with "Tim Who?" - Murray couldn't have picked a better time to go out on No. 1 and beat Radek Stepanek.  Henmania may well have died yesterday, and the press will now spit on it's grave, and everything will transfer to Murray.  Good luck.  

However...it's not all over.  I think Tim's got more chance at the other Grand Slams than he has at Wimbledon, really.  These days, his play really does work better on clay and hard - it's the HMS Suprise.  And he's improved his bassline skills ever since he got together with Annacone.  He could have won the French Open last year - shame that he kind of fell apart against Coria when everything looked so good.  I'm not a huge Tim fan at all - I react badly to the crazed support, and I find him rather dull overall tennis wise, but it's not dark yet.  

Henman's never even won a grass tournament, and he's beaten the best on Hard.

Derek Trucks

I used to play a bit, and there was no doubt in any of the coaches that Henman would make an excellent player on the senior (over 35) circuit, because he has very good form when he plays, just lacks a bit of brute force required at the top game.

RFT

Quote from: "Detective John Kimble".  And he's improved his bassline skills ever since he got together with Annacone.  

Thank you for putting the image in my head of Tim Henman up on a stage somewhere playing funky Bootsy Collins style Bass Riffs.

Detective John Kimble

Quote from: "RFT"
Quote from: "Detective John Kimble".  And he's improved his bassline skills ever since he got together with Annacone.  

Thank you for putting the image in my head of Tim Henman up on a stage somewhere playing funky Bootsy Collins style Bass Riffs.

D'OH.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Re: Tim's arrogance.

Well, you know, I'm not exactly bosom-buddies with the guy so I can only go on his press appearances and admittedly the British press aren't always encouraging but he seems to be uniformly incapable of accepting justifiable criticism instead blaming it on something/one else and he has the manner and aloofness in way of speaking to people that I would still dislike (but expect) in, you know, a consistent champion

Look, I just think the guy's a bit of a cunt.
Hah, yeah, that can be a wee bit annoying. He does this weird thing when he's playing a match at various points of saying stuff while looking at the other player after the point has been played. His facial expression and the odd word you can figure out via lip reading (largely, 'fuck' and 'fucking') kind of suggests to me he's saying stuff like 'yeah, get a load of that shot you fucking prick'. Which isn't a very appealing personality trait, although when I used to play tennis a lot more than I do now I probably did the same thing when I got annoyed with myself. McEnroe talked about how when he was playing he used to mouth offensive things up to his family in the heat of the moment, and his dad would come up to him at the end of the match and ask him why he said all those things. Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong and Henman is in fact quoting poetry.

rjd2

However...it's not all over.  I think Tim's got more chance at the other Grand Slams than he has at Wimbledon, really.
The US open maybe but he can forget about the French or Australian ones.

These days, his play really does work better on clay and hard - it's the HMS Suprise.  And he's improved his bassline skills ever since he got together with Annacone.  He could have won the French Open last year - shame that he kind of fell apart against Coria when everything looked so good.  

He was lucky to get such easy draw, as all the South Americans and Spaniards for some inexplicable reason bombed last year that sadly for Tim will never happen again. Lodra was the only decent player he had to beat to reach the semi finals for goodness sake.

I'm not a huge Tim fan at all - I react badly to the crazed support, and I find him rather dull overall tennis wise, but it's not dark yet.  

I kind of agree but don't forget he is the richest player NEVER have to won a grand slam ever. Only Sampras,Agassi and Kafelnikov have made more money than him in the history of tennis.
Henman's never even won a grass tournament, and he's beaten the best on Hard
Yeah Hard is probably his best hope but the likes of Roddick would dispose of him no problem now though unless he does an Agassi I doubt he will be a contender for a while. Don't forget he has not beaten a member of the top ten once this season.
Oh dear my prediction in the other thread that Safin may be a contender looks well off the mark, he is struggling and will soon adopt the legendary Kafelnikov Wimbledon attitude.

"I hate grass boo hoo"

By the way forget about Murray he has Nalbandian in the next round who should beat him easily. Nalbandian along wiith Gasquet are my dark horses this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All tennis players are confident, verging on arrogant and its neccessary to keep the self belief you need to perform under those pressure conditions. Whether Tim is a nice guy or not we won't know, as we've never met the guy, so can only go on fairly inept judgements based on interviews where he is obliged to say "I think I can win!"

I take no pleasure in seeing Henman lose, and I wish him all the success in the future. He's been at the top of the sport for many years and is a great servant for the country. Can you also forget about the excellent work he does in encouraging tennis in this country?

It's very tempting to suggest that Andy Murray is going to 'take over'. But at the moment I see that Henman's still hanging around the top ten in the world, and whilst Murray's achievements are creditable, he has only played a number of ATP events. As far as I see I expect Murray to acquit himself well, as he seems a level headed young man (same age as myself), and with the right commitment and ruthlessness I think he could make it into the top 50, as you know, anything can happen from there.

Only casual tennis fans and churlish media reactionarys can discount Tim Henman yet. Last year he made both the semi-final of the US and French Open, and the year before he won the most important Masters Series event too, which is probably the 5th most important even on the tennis calendar. I think his support in this country is justified and I'm also encouraged that his support at Wimbledon has remained as passionate as ever, even in the circumstances.

That's my opinion anyway, I'm sure everyone else will continue in whatever view they have anyway.