Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"tell them to get their heads out of their arses and find me a coke"

Started by smoker, June 23, 2005, 06:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Detective John Kimble

Quote from: "rjd2"
The US open maybe but he can forget about the French or Australian ones.

I'd agree that US is his best bet.  He's never done anything at Australia anyway - the conditions wreck him.  

He was lucky to get such easy draw, as all the South Americans and Spaniards for some inexplicable reason bombed last year that sadly for Tim will never happen again. Lodra was the only decent player he had to beat to reach the semi finals for goodness sake.

Henman wasn't fancied against Chela either, who was considered to be on a roll, and he did have lots of trouble against Cyril Saulnier in the first round - it could have been all over there.  Of course, Blanco and Burgsmuller provided little trouble, but a grand slam draw normally tends to offer up one, or even two gimmies to everyone (regardless of Safin's draw this year).  I'd say it was about medium on paper - although, aside from the Llodra/Saulnier matches, passage to the semi-finals was easier than expected.   The French run will probably not be repeated again - it was a shocker because Henman went out and played his own style, which wasn't expected - he usually tried to play the clay-courters at their own game, often losing decisively in the process.  In 2005, they expected different play out of Henman, and he found himself ousted quickly once more.  

I kind of agree but don't forget he is the richest player NEVER have to won a grand slam ever. Only Sampras,Agassi and Kafelnikov have made more money than him in the history of tennis.

Yeah...Henman himself won't look back on it all as a failure.  I don't know, though - of course, the money's not required, but generally sportsmen don't retire just because they feel they've made all the cash they can make.  The competition's the thing usually.    

Yeah Hard is probably his best hope but the likes of Roddick would dispose of him no problem now though unless he does an Agassi I doubt he will be a contender for a while. Don't forget he has not beaten a member of the top ten once this season.

He was capable of beating Roddick last year, and Federer to boot - still, a year's a long time, and he's dropped down significantly this year.  Perhaps 2004 will always represent the best that he got, but while he may only have another 2 - perhaps only one even - reasonable shots at the US Open, he could still legitimately threaten.  On his day he can beat anyone.  That's not hyperbole at all, I think - he's proven it in other tournaments.    

Oh dear my prediction in the other thread that Safin may be a contender looks well off the mark, he is struggling and will soon adopt the legendary Kafelnikov Wimbledon attitude.

"I hate grass boo hoo"

By the way forget about Murray he has Nalbandian in the next round who should beat him easily. Nalbandian along wiith Gasquet are my dark horses this year.

Yep, goodnight Safin.  He had that knee trouble, though...plus a horror draw.  I didn't expect him to get past Ancic in the 4th - it turned out that Lopez put him away with ease.  Lopez-Ancic should be a good 'un.  Hey, the comparison's already there - last year's whining about how he'd never play Wimbledon again, etc.  Now all he has to do is retire for a Poker career.

Murray will be beaten in the next round.  Gasquet looks like a real good 'un, and if I was a betting man I'd back him, along with Ancic as this year's dark horses.  Gasquet and Ancic will be in the top 10 soon enough - they get better and better.  Along with several other new talents around - Monfils, Murray, etc. plus a big rise of competition in the Women's event, the game looks to be in decent shape.

Beagle 2

Anybody watching the Murray match? After kicking arse and going two sets up he seems to have run out of energy completely, he basically lost the last three games on purpose, it was bizarre. Cracking match though, I hope he gets it back together.

terminallyrelaxed

You could see he was knackered by the third, but he's got some nuts on him. Really good match so far...

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"That's my opinion anyway, I'm sure everyone else will continue in whatever view they have anyway.
It's not that no-one's listening, based on experience, honest.

Imagine Tim Henman, Damon Hill and Nigel Harman having a fascinating chat over a beer together. My what an epic clash of personalities.

Hello smoker.

terminallyrelaxed

Ah well I thought Murray was excellent, but he's only a slip of a lad, I suppose he hasn't got the stamina yet. As he was walking off they said 'well thats the next 10 years sorted as far as home interest goes' and I thought 'oh well, no pressure Andy'.