Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An Alternative History of "Pop" Music: Part 2, 1982 -

Started by jamiefairlie, January 20, 2021, 05:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Medicine - Aruca

Medicine are an American noise pop band formed in Los Angeles in 1990 by guitarist/keyboardist Brad Laner.

Should have been a massive hit in indie discos in 92: "Aruca" is 45 seconds of a guitar getting its head flushed down the toilet which suddenly bursts into a lovely swirly dance hit with cooing girly vocals and a groove underset by the complaining buzzing guitars thatagh whatever its good

The Culture Bunker

I used to know someone who dated Brad Laner in the early 90s and being very impressed to see them being thanked in the credits of a Medicine album. Never quite got into the band, though.

Oz Oz Alice

These Immortal Souls - Black Milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPQ2pIC2qN4

Some wonderful Velvets worship from the saint of St Kilda, Rowland S Howard: if only the dear boy had realised that with Lou it was all at least half an act most of the time. "A voice so soft it smashes stars to pieces" isn't just a great lyric but a great description of self: that androgynous moan, sounding like a zombified Joey Ramone in crushed velvet and polka dots or Ronnie Spector if she'd got into the Southern hip hop phenomenon of lean (recreational cough syrup drinking).

QuoteNever Gonna Die also recalls other basic influences - the recently reemerged Richard Hell ("Shamed," "All The Money's Gone") and, closer to home, the early records of Australia's Saints ("The King of Kalifornia," Hyperspace").

"I have great deal of respect for Richard Hell," says Howard, though surprised at the comparison. And, "there are a lot of people I listen to more than the Saints, but those [first three] albums when Ed Kuepper was in the band, Ed Kuepper's Laughing Clowns [and] Ascension by The Aints are a really big influence on my work." Admitting also the obvious influence of Ennio Morricone soundtracks and Lee Hazelwood (whose "Some Velvet Morning" Rowland and Lydia covered a while back), Howard sums up: "I just like twangy guitars with a great deal of attack... they can be soulful and funny at the same time."

That sort of contradiction paints not only the album's sarcastic title (and even the band's name) but also most of Never Gonna Die's baldly autobiographical lyrics, which have already been subject to some misinterpretation by the British press. Howard bemoans, "The quote on the album jacket - 'I've been crowned by sorrow, I've been crowned by hate, I've been crowned in black, now I abdicate,' - Melody Maker took that to mean that my life had been so utterly miserable that I was just going to give up. It had never occurred to me that someone could interpret it that way; it was meant that I've been painted as being all these things and I don't have anything to do with it. It's really annoying because as far as I'm concerned there's a lot of humor in my songs. It's not a sort of humor for which I expect anyone to sort of slap their thighs and roll around howling on the ground, but 'The King of Kalifornia' is an absurd song title."

Sadly the video for King of Kalifornia showing Rowland wandering about with his androgynous, uniquely "verge of death but still pulling it off" swagger is no longer up on the net or I'd post that too.

Quote"The review of 'I'm Never Gonna Die Again' in Select started off saying that all the guitar playing that I did in The Birthday Party was genius and that since then I've been very vague and confused. Which really is the worst sort of hype, because although I think that some of the things I did in The Birthday Party were good and some of them were great, some of them were just, 'So what?' I think that some of the playing on Crowned and on Insomnicide is just as good as virtually anything I've done before and it's just sheer nostalgia to suggest otherwise."

Me and an ex partner wrote an impassioned screed about Rowland I won't excerpt here as y'all have better things to read but here it is: https://denniscooperblog.com/dan-wreck-and-marilyn-roxie-present-rowland-s-howard-day/

Quote"I had a Fender Twin, a graphic EQ with everything on ten and the amp with everything on ten. I had an MXR Distortion Plus and an MXR Blue Box (a prehistoric harmonizer making up for its dodgy tracking with an intriguing wobbly sound and some rather excellent white noise - Ed). For guitars I just used the Jaguar and a Broadcaster-type thing made for, I think, Jerry Donahue, which I found at the studio. They said the body had been cut from the top of a bar! Whenever I use anything else - a different amp or something - I just can't get anything to happen, so I've given up trying, basically."

Oz Oz Alice

Current 93 - A Sad Sadness Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGQ5zokDDE

QuoteThunder Perfect Mind is an album by the English neofolk group Current 93, released on 28 July 1992. It contains two tracks based on the Gnostic poem The Thunder, Perfect Mind, which also gave the album its name.

For I am the first and the last.
I am the honored and the scorned,
I am the harlot and the holy one.
I am the wife and the virgin.
I am the m[oth]er and the daughter.
I am the members of my mother.

Thunder Perfect Mind has a companion album by the same name recorded by Nurse With Wound, released at the same time, though the two albums have little in common with each other musically: however, if you play both at the same time synchronised with Scorsese's Last Temptation Of Christ something very interesting happens. One day I'll try it when in a more sensible state of mind than the time I did it, or the time I am inhabiting as I write this.

Come forward to childhood and do not despise it because it is little and small.
And do not bring back some greatnesses in parts from smallnesses,
for the smallnesses are known from the greatnesses.

The album is one of David Tibet's more personal records, with several songs dedicated to friends, colleagues and people he had met. The epic "Hitler As Kalki (SDM)" is dedicated to "my father, who fought Hitler." The liner notes indicate that some believed Hitler was Kalki, the tenth and final incarnation of Vishnu, who would destroy the cosmos upon a white horse at the end of each world cycle. SDM could possibly stand for Savitri Devi, a Nazi crank who held the aforementioned belief I sampled from a Wikipedia article.

Similarly, A Song For Douglas (After He's Dead) is a kiss-off of sorts to Douglas P of Death In June who plays on this album: it is however the last C93 release that Pearce appears on the creative partnership dissolving due to Tibet's unease with Pearce's military (and particularly WWII) fetish taking over his life and swaying him to the dark side; copious amounts of drugs; and of course, money. A Song For Douglas starts with a quote from the Funeral March and pivots around a descending melodic line probably played by Michael Cashmore who took over the reins musically at this point and copped from Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat. There are a few Cohen lifts on the album and a cover of When The May Rain Comes by the Krautrock group Sand. Cashmore would remain a consistent contributor to Current up to Black Ships Ate The Sky; he and Tibet still collaborate but less extensively.

Other contributions on the album come from Jhonn Balance's backing vocals; Steven Stapleton's treatments and noises; Nick Salomon of the Bevis Frond and Karl Blake of Shock Headed Peters also contributing guitar work and Edward Ka-Spel of Legendary Pink Dots is credited with bells despite not appearing on the album.

Rose MacDowall also appears and sings the gorgeous closer A Sad, Sadness Song: a reprise of a song featured earlier in the album with Tibet taking the lead in his unique Jasper Carrot of the apocalypse sprechesang. Rose's vocals on this album give more weight to my theory that this album would sync quite well with the original version of The Wicker Man.

Further Gnostic quotes from liner notes:
- "This is the great wheel of birth and death. Tie it up and make of it the True Love Knot. May all be happy. God is Love." David Tibet, August 21, 2003.

- "The Learned, who strive to ascend into Heaven by means of learning, appear to Children like dead horses, when repelled by the celestial spheres."
William Blake, from A Descriptive Catalogue Of Pictures..., 1809.

"Many people have written to me saying they became fascinated by Coptic texts after hearing this album, and I myself learnt Coptic as a result of my love for the Nag Hammadi codices and apocryphal Christian literature. I am honoured that this album has, to some small degree, spread the Hidden Words, ⲛ̄ϣⲁϫⲉ ⲉⲧϩⲏⲡ. The one who understands the meaning of these words shall not taste Death: ⲡⲉⲧⲁϩⲉ ⲉⲑⲉⲣⲙⲏⲛⲉⲓⲁ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲉⲓϣⲁϫⲉ ϥⲛⲁϫⲓⲧⲡⲉ ⲁⲛ ⲙ̄ⲡⲙⲟⲩ."

While I'm linking to entries on Dennis Cooper's excellent blog in these posts today, Sypha's piece on Current 93 is well worth a read for the curious: https://denniscooperblog.com/sypha-presents-funeral-music-for-us-all-a-current-93-day-2/

Jimmy Scott- Sycamore Trees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8g_xpqjHKU

Impossible to pick a finest moment from Angelo Badalamenti's soundtrack work for David Lynch, but this song performed by jazz vocalist "Little" Jimmy Scott is my favourite.

jamiefairlie

Sugar - Changes

https://youtu.be/iEzeOXjb2RE

After frontman Bob Mould departed from Hüsker Dü, he released two solo ventures, Workbook and Black Sheets of Rain. Shortly after, Mould recorded a demo tape of over thirty songs and formed Sugar with David Barbe and Malcolm Travis.
This is their debut single and it reached number 16 in the Festive Fifty.

jamiefairlie

The House of Love - Feel

https://youtu.be/PVtJIb3ZMWY

Past their prime period now but still capable of creating some great tunes, this was released as a single from the 'Babe Rainbow" album.

Brundle-Fly

Pac-Man - Power-Pill Released on Ffrreedom in 1992.

Why this wasn't a bigger Toy Town rave hit, we'll never know.

Power-Pill AKA Richard James is an Irish electronic musician. He changed his name to Aphex Twin and made a few more records that some people quite like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiN_kJ7tZPo

daf

Dr. Phibes And The House Of Wax Equations – Misdiagnosedive

Released as a single in 1992 - did not chart

QuoteDr. Phibes and the House of Wax Equations were an English psychedelic rock band, formed in 1989 in Crewe, Cheshire. They were composed of vocalist and guitarist Lawrence Howard King Jr., bassist Lee Patrick Belsham and drummer Keith York. The band met whilst on a music course at South Cheshire College of Further Education in late 1989.

Pete Cashmore : "Everything about them was peculiar. Obviously, there was that name, a melding of two Vincent Price film titles with the baffling addendum of Equations – what on earth did that mean? They were prone to giving songs forced portmanteau titles (Sugarblast, Misdiagnosedive) or lapsing into hippyish guff (Eye Am the Sky, I Am Forever). Musically, though, they were incredible. Bassist Lee Belsham's style was fluid and ominously dubby, and drummer Keith York veered between gentle restraint and explosions of Reni-style flailing, as King coaxed weird, spidery patterns through a bank of effects pedals. Baggy they were not."

They released their first EP Sugarblast in 1990. This was followed up by their first album Whirlpool in 1991. A second EP, and single, Hazy Lazy Hologram, was released the same year.

Pete Cashmore : "Another thing that set them apart from the rest was that King is black, which may not seem like a big deal now but was practically unheard of in early 1990s indie, especially in a lead singer. Indeed, a few journalists at the time felt compelled to compare him to Jimi Hendrix and, although I would call into question the reason for the comparison being made, it's not as absurd as it sounds. There's a superb, all-too-brief live performance on YouTube for Granada TV's late-night live music show The New Sessions, where King grapples and manhandles and slashes at his guitar in a decidedly Hendrixesque fashion. He was a great abuser of his instrument, though limited as a vocalist, his words enigmatically low in the mix until he would explode into anguished squealing. Backed up by a sympathetic live show on a small stage, they were a great live act. The best way I can describe the sound is enraged shoegazing."

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 06, 2021, 05:44:12 PM
Sugar - Changes
I remember I heard this on some compilation I got when I was 16, called 'Indie Hits' (of course, it was the only song on it that wasn't a hit), and thinking "what the fuck is this?" in the best possible way. It certainly made the likes of the Mock Turtles, EMF and Jesus Jones seem tame as a primary school class doing a recorder recital. 'Copper Blue' is an flat-out classic album in my book, the best thing Bob Mould has done, though the 'Beaster' EP comes a very (very!) close second.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 06, 2021, 05:55:42 PM
The House of Love - Feel
I love all three of the first HoL albums (I even quite like 'Audience With the Mind') - somedays I even think 'Babe Rainbow' is my favourite. It probably would be if Bickers had played on it.

daf

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 06, 2021, 07:19:30 PM
the 'Beaster' EP comes a very (very!) close second.

It's actually longer than Hard Days Night, that one - and pretty much all of Elvis' 60's albums ('Roustabout' lasts an epic 20 minutes & 5 seconds!) *

- - - - -
* found an even shorter one - see following post for my original)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: daf on May 06, 2021, 07:28:54 PM
It's actually longer than Hard Days Night, that one - and pretty much all of Elvis' 60's albums ('It Happened at the World's Fair' is 21 minutes long!)
I'd certainly say it's one of the most intense things to get close to topping the album charts here (got to #3). I think Mould himself said he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown after touring it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Teenage Fanclub - Free Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_G7Bt1ijog

A cover of a post-Box Tops/pre-Big Star Alex Chilton song, this failed to chart when it was released as a single in 1992. Never mind, lads, things can only get better from now on.

jamiefairlie

Adorable - Sunshine Smile

https://youtu.be/Ffbg0a2x3Aw

Formed in Coventry in 1990. The band consisted of vocalist and guitarist Pete Fijalkowski, guitarist Robert Dillam, bassist Stephen Williams and drummer Kevin Gritton.

This is their debut single, they'd go onto release two albums before splitting in 1994.

Brundle-Fly

Track X - Sheep On Drugs Released on Transglobal.

The original 'Nathan Barley' act? My mate's band were supporting them in Hackney back in February 2020, so they are the last band I've seen perform live. Very rock & roll and very entertaining, so if SOD was the last gig I will ever attend, I think I can live with that.

Sheep On Drugs are a UK techno-punk duo, formed by Duncan X & Lee Fraser in the early 1990s. They had some modest UK Chart success. Track X was covered by Grace Jones as "Sex Drive". Duncan X left in early 1998 and Fraser worked under the Alias of "303" with Martin Atkins and also mixed works for several artists. Fraser eventually met up with Johnny Borden, her established act blending well with Fraser's edgy style. The duo emerged as Sheep On Drugs in 2006 with "Best Of a Bad Bunch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaoGYB0XV_4&t

Norton Canes

Meat Beat Manifesto - Edge Of No Control

Released August 1992

Alternative pop history: Highest chart position 2 | Weeks on chart 12 | Top of the Pops studio performances 3rd September 1992 (yellow jumper), 17th September 1992 (red boiler suit. This was the episode where the studio had been infested by flies, most of which seemed to take a particular liking to Nicky Wire)

daf

Blur – Seven Days

Recorded in September 1992, produced by Andy Partridge at RAK Studios, engineered by Phil Thornalley - first released in 2012

QuoteAfter discovering they were £60,000 in debt, Blur toured the United States in 1992 in an attempt to recoup their financial losses. The group released the single "Popscene" to coincide with the start of the tour. Featuring "a rush of punk guitars, '60s pop hooks, blaring British horns, controlled fury, and postmodern humor", "Popscene" was a turning point for the band musically. However, upon its release it only charted at number 32.

Damon Albarn : "We felt 'Popscene' was a big departure; a very, very English record. But that annoyed a lot of people ... We put ourselves out on a limb to pursue this English ideal and no-one was interested."

As a result of the single's lacklustre performance, plans to release a single named "Never Clever" were scrapped and work on Blur's second album was pushed back.

During the two-month American tour, the band became increasingly unhappy, often venting frustrations on each other, leading to several physical confrontations. The band members were homesick; Albarn said, "I just started to miss really simple things ... I missed everything about England so I started writing songs which created an English atmosphere."

Albarn felt the popularity American grunge music was enjoying in Britain at the time would soon fade, and argued that Blur would embody a renaissance of classic British pop on their next album.  Food Records owner David Balfe strongly disagreed, and argued with Albarn over the proposed change in Blur's image.

After the still-sceptical Balfe relented, Food warily gave Blur the go-ahead to work on their second album with Albarn's first choice of producer, XTC leader Andy Partridge. Partridge said he was dissatisfied with the songs, but was "immensely" fond of the band, likening them to early XTC circa 'Go 2' (their second album from 1978). He said he agreed to the project "for the wrong reasons, the flattery and the money."

Blur began working on the album with Partridge at The Church, a studio in Crouch End owned by David A. Stewart. However, the sessions ended prematurely. Bassist Alex James described the sessions as a "disaster"; he added that "as it was all being put together, they were all good parts, but it just wasn't ... sexy".

Things immediately got off to a bad start when Damon told Partridge he was a big fan of the old XTC hit 'Making Plans For Nigel', a song written by Partridge's rival, bassist Colin Moulding. In addition, guitarist Graham Coxon was having personal problems and missed sessions or arrived drunk.

Only three songs were ever taped – 'Sunday Sunday', 'Seven Days' and 'Coping'. At first, the band loved the results then dramatically changed their minds.

Andy Partridge : "I felt quite fatherly and I thought I did sterling work. They got Dave Balfe really stoned to listen to some mixes and he was rolling around going, 'This is fantastic, you're George Martin and they're The Beatles.' Next day he'd say, 'Quite frankly, Andy, this is shit'".

Two of the songs were re-recorded with new producer Stephen Street, and included on their 1993 album, 'Modern life is Rubbish', while Seven Days, remained in the vaults until the '21' box set released in 2012.

Gregory Torso

Moonshake - Beautiful Pigeon

Just probably the greatest album released in 1992, Moonshake's 'Ava Luna' is weird, dubby, noisy, scary, mad and a whole angelshit totempole of other adjectives. Moonshake took their name from a Can song and featured ex-Wolfhound Dave Callahan (although honestly, I never liked his singing, at all), Margaret Fiedler (who later went on to form Laika), John Frenett playing deep bass and "Mig" the drummer making a right old clatter all over the samples, horn sections and guitarsz, the drums on this song are so simple but sound amazing

After a mini-Lp the band split in half, with Fiedler and Frenett going off to be Laika (with Guy Fixen who engineered this record) and Callahan and Mig carrying on as Moonshake with a whole rotating cast of musicians, eventually somehow ending up on the 1996 Lollapalooza festival along with Metallica and Wu Tang Clan.

Gregory Torso

Guided By Voices - Over The Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox

I don't think I'm alone in saying that Robert Pollard has one of the greatest voices in "alternative" music and he can write a pretty fuhkin decent tune when he can be arsed. This is a (god damn) amalgamation of the first two songs from 'Propellor' - apparently intended to be the band's last record before they all gave up and went back to being hungover middle-aged primary school teachers full time - and a personal favourite of mine from GBV's vast, ridiculous, sprawling, massive, mate how am i meant to keep up with this, seemingly endless back catalogue.

It starts with a fake crowd calling for ROCK AND ROLL and then beers its way into some primo home-recorded power pop before settling into a Bowie-esque lull-out that reaches for the top shelf, bebay

An original copy of this record with its handmade sleev recently sold on discogs for $1500. So let that be a lesson to you.

Brundle-Fly

Gone Fishing - Consolidated. Released on Nettwerk in 1992.

Almost thirty years before their time with their particular polemic style. They'd fit in well today, I would've thought?

Gone Fishing is not Consolidated's usual musical battering ram but an ambient mechanical funk/ spoken-word piece about the disastrous effects of trawling the oceans for the fishies, shark 'n' whale harpooning, and seal clubbing. This was before we even knew about the plastics problem. Seems apt this week. Large portion of chips with your cod, sir?

Consolidated were a politically active band that combined confrontational left-wing politics with self-deprecating humour and a sound that encompassed elements of hip-hop, hard rock, funk, industrial and dance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cheF22P8eoM

jamiefairlie

Blind Mr. Jones - Eyes Wide

https://youtu.be/FzJA7aEwnaY

Formed in Marlow 1991. The original lineup was Richard Moore (vocals, guitar), James Franklin (guitar), Will Teversham (vocals, bass guitar) and Jon White (drums).

This is their first single. The released two albums on Cherry Red, Stereo Musicale (1992) and Tatooine (1994), before splitting up in 1994

jamiefairlie

Damon & Naomi - E.T.A.

https://youtu.be/0YjnfXjukwA

Formed in 1991 by Damon Krukowski and Naomi Yang, formerly of Galaxie 500. This is the opening track to debut album, "More Sad Hits".

Johnny Yesno

Ah, shite. I took my eye off the ball, thinking the changeover was on a Saturday. Gonna go for another rewiiiiind-ah to 1991.

Skinny Puppy - Spasmolytic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3RMQkdj_s

The 1991 single from their sixth album Too Dark Park (1990). The above video for this is well worth a watch. It's hilarious but I couldn't tell you if it is intentionally so. Somehow not being able to figure out the tone makes the chaos more disturbing.

Also get fucked Marylin Manson, riding the coat tails of far superior bands.

Doubting Thomas - Saved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-87KA9KO0

From the album The Infidel. Doubting Thomas was a sample heavy Skinny Puppy side project.

Quote from: D.T. SuzukiGod against man. Man against God. Man against nature. Nature against man. Nature against God. God against nature. Very funny religion!

My Bloody Valentine - Honey Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8Ygwo6kc0

From the Tremolo ep, which I think I prefer to the album from the same year Loveless. I won't forget the first time I heard To Here Knows When, which appeared on both, though. A follow-up 'Wtf? Are they allowed to do this?' moment to Birthday by The Sugarcubes.

Coil - Things Happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7NhrBV988

I see Oz Oz Alice already did an excellent job of mentioning Love's Secret Domain by Coil, but it's one of my all time favourite albums of all time, so I couldn't not post a track from it. Things Happen is another example of a piece of music where I can't quite work out the tone. It's hilarious but also the extremely disorientating. Annie 'Anxiety' Bandez on vocals.

Delerium - Bleeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8u15eZIdI8

From the Front Line Assembly crew's fourth album under the Delerium moniker Stone Tower, which was the last album before they went all Deep Forest.

Bourbonese Qualk - Miramar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRm-huoMrM

From what I think is probably their most consistent album Unpop.

Godflesh - Slavestate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJV8J9INg8

From the Slavestate ep.

Couple of bonus 1990 tracks because I missed them and that's a crime:

God - Swine Fever

Kevin Martin's band is the only musical project worthy of the name, tbh. This track is from the Breach Birth ep.

https://youtu.be/W-2i_mC9cTQ?t=511

Mighty Force - Dive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA6zs98TylE

Electro from Earache Records.

Okay, back to 1992.

daf

The B-52's – Revolution Earth

Released as a single in Austria and Germany in 1992 - reached #146 in the Austrian charts

Quote"Revolution Earth" was the fourth single released by The B-52's from their 1992 album Good Stuff. The song is an upbeat, folk influenced song, a radical stylistic departure for the B-52's, and was one of many songs with lyrics co-written with Robert Waldrop, a friend of the band.

Featuring Kate Pierson on lead vocals, "Revolution Earth" remains a fan favourite despite the fact that it is from an album featuring only three of the original five members of the band. With founding member Cindy Wilson absent from the recording, Pierson sings in harmony with herself - multi-tracking different vocal lines. Fred Schneider sings a brief backing vocal. As with many of the tracks from the Good Stuff album, "Revolution Earth" has a long and resounding intro and outro, as opposed to the band's earlier songs which always had a definite beginning and ending.

Probably the best song on the album - never realised they'd released it as a single (thankyou 45cat!).

jamiefairlie

Pulp - Babies

https://youtu.be/38by00DGid0

We've had Pulp before but for completeness, they formed in Sheffield in 1978. The original line-up consisted of Jarvis Cocker, schoolfriend Peter Dalton, Mark Lockwood and David Swift.

This is their tenth single and it reached number 23 in the Festive Fifty.

jamiefairlie

Red House Painters - Medicine Bottle

https://youtu.be/4BMZ7wfLyno

Formed in San Francisco in 1988 by primary songwriter Mark Kozelek (vocals, guitar), drummer Anthony Koutsos and bass guitarist Jerry Vessel.

This is from debut album, "Down Colorful Hill".

They released six albums before splitting in the early 2000s, with Kozelek continuing as "Sun Kil Moon".

Brundle-Fly

Sky High - The Irresistible Force  Released on Rising High in 1992.

Let's have something to ease us into Sunday morning. Another trippyhippydippy ambient house fave from the early nineties made by another balding ex-punk who during the eighties had a musical epiphany in some club. See The Orb, Orbital, Norman Cook etc

The Irresistible Force AKA Mixmaster Morris (born Morris Gould, 30 December 1965) is an English ambient DJ and underground musician. Famous for his, "It's time to lie down and be counted" quote, relating specifically to ambient music, Morris stated "It's exactly what you need if you have a busy and stressful life".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxMQR5aJVWI&t=6s

daf

Here's a couple I forgot from 1991 :

Westwon – National Radio

Factoid : Played by John Peel on his Radio 1 show on 6 October 1991.

daf