Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

An Alternative History of "Pop" Music: Part 2, 1982 -

Started by jamiefairlie, January 20, 2021, 05:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Aberfeldy - A Friend Like You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IR9Q88mWY

Aberfeldy were a charming, tune-strewn indie-pop group from Edinburgh. They named themselves after the small Scottish town of Aberfeldy, where the grandfather of de facto leader Riley Briggs once kept a caravan. A Friend Like You is the opening track from their debut album Young Forever. They released two further albums, but have been inactive since 2010.

Rizla

Well I'm very flattered. This might even be better than getting into the Guffaw thread!

Quote from: Rizla on October 19, 2021, 05:53:42 PM
Well I'm very flattered. This might even be better than getting into the Guffaw thread!

You're an Aberfeldy?! Well that's just lovely, so it is.

jamiefairlie

Blimey, that's a first, well unless Vashti Bunyan surreptitiously posts here too.

Rizla

Nah she's mumsnet all the way. Mumsnet and Stormfront.

jamiefairlie

Eels - I Need Some Sleep

https://youtu.be/yLrLXoRjxOY

Formed in Los Angeles, California in 1991 by singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Mark Oliver Everett. This was released on the Shrek 2 soundtrack.

daf

A Girl Called Eddy ‎– Somebody Hurt You

Released in June 2004 - did not chart

QuoteErin Moran, better known by her stage name, A Girl Called Eddy, was born in Neptune, New Jersey, U.S. Along with Stephen Harris and DJ Sae 1, she was a member of the trip hop act Leomoon who released an eponymous album in 1999.

In 2001, she released an EP titled, 'Tears All Over Town'. In August 2004, she released her first, self-titled, album, recorded in England, co-produced by Richard Hawley.

A track from the album, "Somebody Hurt You" was used in series 3, episode 1 of the BBC animation show Monkey Dust to link two different sketches in the show.

DrGreggles

The Black Keys - Girl Is On My Mind

[Auerbach/Carney] {Fat Possum}
(UK single, reached #62)

Taken from Rubber Factory, the third album by Ohio duo The Black Keys, and released as a double A-side single with 'Till I Get My Way, Girl Is On My Mind failed to crack the top 40 despite being on the Radio 1 playlist.
Peaking at #62, this is one of seven times the band reached the arse-end of the top 100.

Jens Lekman - Tram #7 to Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8CGp0OJ4A

QuoteJens Lekman is a Swedish musician. His music is guitar-based pop with heavy use of samples and strings. Witty and romantic, it is heavily influenced by Jonathan Richman and Belle & Sebastian, and he has been likened to Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, David Byrne and Scott Walker.

Tram #7 to Heaven is the opening track from his debut album When I Said I Wanted to Be Your Dog, which reached #6 in the Swedish album charts.

Ellen Fullman and Konrad Sprenger - No Home

Ellen Fullman is a composer known for her long-string instrument. On Ort, Fullman and Konrad Sprenger use an adapted version of the long-string instrument and more conventional instruments to record the songs that Fullman wrote in the '80s, some newly written ones, a cover of the traditional folk song "John Hardy" and this cover of Woody Guthrie's "I Ain't Got no Home in this World Anymore".

Johnny Foreigner

Einstürzende Neubauten - Ein seltener Vogel

Einstürzende Neubauten have featured on here before; they are pretty much self-explanatory.

2004 saw the release of their album Perpetuum Mobile, which, amongst others, contained this memorable nine-minute track, 'Ein seltener Vogel'.

Or, how the biblical story of the deluge, or possibly the extinction of the dinosaurs, can be told by humming a bit, hitting some metal plates and switching on a hammer drill.

jamiefairlie

Engineers - If I Were a Carpenter

https://youtu.be/91p8As6TlVE

Formed in London in 2003 by bassist/guitarist/keyboardist Mark Peters, singer/guitarist Simon Phipps, bassist/guitarist Dan MacBean, and drummer Andrew Sweeney. they released their first single "Home" in April 2004. This is the b-side to follow-up single "Come In Out Of The Rain" and it's a surprisingly faithful cover of Tim Hardin's 1967 folk classic.

daf

Future Loop Foundation ‎– A Very English Summer

Released in 2004 on the 'Scratch & Sniff' EP

QuoteMark Barrott was raised in Sheffield. When he was thirteen years old in 1981, he began playing synthesizers in groups, motivated by watching a Sheffield City Hall live show of the band Kraftwerk.

Barrott uses very little equipment to create his music; he makes a challenge for himself to make "clever workarounds" with the limitations of the production utilities he works with : "When I'm writing a song I'm trying to tell a story - it's a narrative - but the actual parts that make up the plotline have a very simple ethos now, i.e. don't overload people with information."

Under the stage name Future Loop Foundation, he created ambient drum and bass recordings, releasing his debut album 'Time And Bass' in 1996. In 2004 he released the EP 'Scratch & Sniff' featuring the songs "A Very English Summer", "Baker's Dozen", and "A Very English Mystery".

Mark Barrott : "music is about having a blank page and going forward. If I was to go and make a track this very minute, and I wanted some cricket noises at night, I can tell you now I'd still probably want to go out and record some new ones."

Johnny Foreigner

Scary Bitches - Creepy Crawlies

Scary Bitches are a British duo founded in 1999 by Alma Geddon and Deadri Ranciid. Their 2002 album, Lesbian Vampires from Outer Space, did rather well in the goth charts, but this is from their eponymous 2004 album. They insist they are not a comedy band, but if you ask me, they are just taking the piss, really. Catchy tunes.

jamiefairlie

Gravenhurst - The Diver

https://youtu.be/9pk1ppGpa2A

Taken from their second album "Flashlight Seasons".

"Warp Records takes a surprising turn away from glitch-powered electronica with the delicate second LP from this serene Bristol-based folkie"

DrGreggles

Prince - Musicology

[Prince] {NPG}
(non-UK single)

Taken from the album of the same name, his twenty-eighth, Musicology is generally seen as Prince's return to form (certainly in terms of radio friendliness/chart performance).
Released as the lead single across Europe, but not UK or US, the song is a completely solo Prince effort - he wrote, produced and performed it alone.
Musicology won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance.

daf

Feist ‎– Mushaboom

Reached #97 in the UK chart in September 2004

QuoteLeslie Feist was born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada. At the age of 12, Feist performed as one of 1,000 dancers in the opening ceremonies of the Calgary Winter Olympics. In 1991, at age 15, Feist got her start in music when she founded and was the lead vocalist for a Calgary punk band called Placebo [not that one!].

In 1995, Feist was forced to take time off from music to recover from vocal cord damage. She moved from Calgary to Toronto in 1996. That year she was asked by Noah Mintz to play bass in his solo project Noah's Arkweld. In 1998 she became the rhythm guitarist for the band By Divine Right.

In 1999, Feist moved into a Queen West apartment with a friend of a friend, Merrill Nisker, who then began to perform as electro-punk musician Peaches. Feist worked the back of the stage at Peaches' shows, using a sock puppet and calling herself "Bitch Lap Lap". Feist's solo debut album, 'Monarch', was released in 1999.

The Polyphonic Spree - Hold Me Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcITdR8EeIY

We've already covered this hippie rock musical-lovin' cast of bloody thousands in AAHOPM P2. This is taken from their second album - or first "proper" album, if you like, as The Beginning Stages of... was an officially released collection of demos - Together We're Heavy.

John Frusciante - Loss

Like Jimmy Savile did a lot of charity work to atone for his sins, John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers has made a lot of life-affirming solo music. But this album is also life-denying. This is a slow burning track from The Will to Death, an album recorded quickly as a reaction to Shadows Collide with People, which was released earlier in the same year.

jamiefairlie

Interpol - Take You on a Cruise

https://youtu.be/d7FVszL3hWQ

On the superior side of the post-punk revival, they did seem to understand the core feel of the genre. This is from second album "Antics".

daf

Mellow ‎– Drifting out Of Sight

Released in France in 2004 - did not chart

QuoteMellow were formed in France by Patrick Woodcock, a multi-instrumentalist, who had befriended Nicolas Godin while they were getting their architecture degree in Versailles.

After a short stint with Godin during Air's first incarnation, collaborating on Premiers Symptômes as a musician and arranger, as well as on 'Moon Safari', Woodcock felt he needed to form his own band. He called on his old friend Pierre Bégon-Lours, then a sound engineer who had access to a recording studio near Paris where they recorded their first demos in 1997.

The first album, 'Another Mellow Winter', was released in 1999, and later re-issued - minus the tracks "Bells", "Lost Night", "Interlude", and "Overture" - in the US as 'Another Mellow Summer' in 2000, and again, with a couple of extra bonus tracks, as Another Mellow Spring in 2001. Their second album 'Dragonfly - A Soundtrack To The Motion Picture CQ' was released in 2002.

Their third album, 'Perfect Colors,' featured 'Drifting out Of Sight' which was released as a single in 2004.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 21, 2021, 03:11:47 AM
Great call. Here's my pick, it's the title track of his third single.

Jens Lekman - Maple Leaves

https://youtu.be/Z2_03lbaLsk

I love that one too. Beautiful use of samples.

William Shatner & Ben Folds - That's Me Trying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jze2xTcukc0

When it was announced that Ben Folds and The Shat were collaborating on an album, everyone naturally expected it to be a wall-to-wall smirking irony fest. But while Has Been isn't without its moments of humour, it's actually a surprisingly thoughtful and poignant piece of work.

Shatner wrote most of the lyrics himself - it's a largely autobiographical spoken song suite - but That's Me Trying was written by Nick Hornby. Its themes of regret and autumnal ennui fit in perfectly. That's Aimee Mann and Folds himself on backing vocals.

Johnny Foreigner

Morthem Vlade Art - Absente Terebenthine

Founded in 1995, Morthem Vlade Art are a Parisian duo that started off as a death rock / dark wave band in the late nineties, before evolving towards more mainstream electronic music. 2004 marked their last synth-pop album, Absente Terebenthine, before a long hiatus. They were to reform in 2018 and have since released new work.

The Ex - 3:45 AM

From the album Turn. The video is a performance in New York City in September 2004 taken from the concert film Building a Broken Mousetrap. Poster Don_Preston was very into alternative music and it would be nice if he were posting in this thread, although he probably wouldn't have. In loving memory, annoy the neighbours by blasting out Dutch anarcho-punks The Ex in the early hours of the morning.

Brundle-Fly

Fall Down 7 - All Night Radio - Released on Sub Pop in 2004.

Prime slice of Nu-Psyche from the one album wonders. They seemingly take their cues from early Pink Floyd, The Idle Race, Mc Donald & Giles and other bands of this ilk. Fans of Super Furry Animals should give a listen.

All Night Radio AKA Dave Scher and Jimi Hey, hail from Los Angeles, and have known each other since 1995, when a 16-year-old Hey would call Scher's late-night radio program on KXLU requesting Six Finger Satellite on a repeated basis. This KXLU connection led them to playing music together in Bee Venom and later resulted in the formation of the more psychedelic country-minded Beachwood Sparks. In between leaving the group in 1997 and rejoining it in 2002, Hey also turned up in groups such as Strictly Ballroom, Tristeza, Glass Candy and the Shattered Theater, and The Rapture. The two have also moonlighted as members of Lilys. After completing the Beachwood Sparks' tour of summer 2002, Scher and Hey joined forces to create All Night Radio. They dubbed this new sound the "Spirit Stereo Frequency." The band broke up due to creative differences in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVcSrwpzI&t

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 23, 2021, 02:27:07 PM
William Shatner & Ben Folds - That's Me Trying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jze2xTcukc0

When it was announced that Ben Folds and The Shat were collaborating on an album, everyone naturally expected it to be a wall-to-wall smirking irony fest. But while Has Been isn't without its moments of humour, it's actually a surprisingly thoughtful and poignant piece of work.

Shatner wrote most of the lyrics himself - it's a largely autobiographical spoken song suite - but That's Me Trying was written by Nick Hornby. Its themes of regret and autumnal ennui fit in perfectly. That's Aimee Mann and Folds himself on backing vocals.

Great album. It Hasn't Happened Yet always makes me get all dewey eyed.