Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Predictive Index

Started by bgmnts, January 20, 2021, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I'm filling out some utter shite called 'The Predictive Index' for some bizarre reason, during a job application process, and this is the brief:

QuotePlease read the words in the list below and check those that you feel describe the way you are expected to act by others.

Now, do you think this means with prior knowledge, i.e how you think people who know you would expect you to act? Or does it mean how you think people expect people to act generally?

Below is just a big list of adjectives like commanding and patient etc.

gib

I would think the latter. Perhaps they also mean it to be specific to the actual job in question.

Be good to get a few more opinions as stuff like this makes me freeze on the spot.

bgmnts

I'm leaning towards the latter as well.

For clarity, what I quoted is the exact information given, boldened text and all.

katzenjammer

Unless 'by others' is adding some specific meaning it's probably just badly worded and you can ignore them

Zetetic

You're meant to show initiative by telling your interviewers that the process is meaninglessly ambiguous and you can't earnestly engage with it.

I'm pretty sure an English NHS CSU gave me a written maths-y test where the point was that half the questions weren't possible to answer properly. They offered me a job, and that was despite opening the actual interview with some mild slapstick and my answer to their first question being "I've no idea, sorry".

Bazooka

Quote from: Zetetic on January 20, 2021, 02:30:02 PM
You're meant to show initiative by telling your interviewers that the process is meaninglessly ambiguous and you can't earnestly engage with it.

I'm pretty sure an English NHS CSU gave me a written maths-y test where the point was that half the questions weren't possible to answer properly. They offered me a job, and that was despite opening the actual interview with some mild slapstick and my answer to their first question being "I've no idea, sorry".

Yeah but some of these online multiple choice employment 'gauntlet' tests actually have traps, where even a correct answer is wrong.

lankyguy95

Tell them that by "Others" you thought they meant the Railway Killer John Duffy.

gib

tell them the list should be adverbs

Paul Calf

Buelligan

Quote from: Bazooka on January 20, 2021, 02:33:25 PM
Yeah but some of these online multiple choice employment 'gauntlet' tests actually have traps, where even a correct answer is wrong.

I think that's the point.  It's supposed to enable those in charge to ring-fence the liars, abject pleasers, bullshitters, set them apart from the rude arrogant trouble-makers.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Bazooka on January 20, 2021, 02:33:25 PM

Feel free to keep telling yourself that but as we explained after your interview, your answer to "what do you typically keep in your desk drawers?" marked you out as completely unsuitable for the nursery teaching position.

thenoise

Quote from: Buelligan on January 21, 2021, 09:37:11 AM
I think that's the point.  It's supposed to enable those in charge to ring-fence the liars, abject pleasers, bullshitters, set them apart from the rude arrogant trouble-makers.
But which do they prefer?

I still have uncomfortable flashbacks to,as a fresh faced young graduate, politely declining to point out the mistake in an interviewer's question. Only to be told that that was the test, the smug fucking cunt.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2021, 01:08:14 PM
I'm filling out some utter shite called 'The Predictive Index' for some bizarre reason, during a job application process, and this is the brief:

Now, do you think this means with prior knowledge, i.e how you think people who know you would expect you to act? Or does it mean how you think people expect people to act generally?

Below is just a big list of adjectives like commanding and patient etc.

Christ, what a load of ambiguous crap. It's just to satisfy the confirmation bias of your interviewers to make them feel like they're doing something clever to whittle down the large number of applicants. I'm sorry job applicants have to go through this charade.

Buelligan

Quote from: thenoise on January 21, 2021, 09:43:55 AM
But which do they prefer?

I still have uncomfortable flashbacks to,as a fresh faced young graduate, politely declining to point out the mistake in an interviewer's question. Only to be told that that was the test, the smug fucking cunt.

When I had a career, I met a man who'd interviewed me for the initial post and I had subsequently caught up stripes-wise.  He told me he knew from day zero I was a top pick because when we were walking into the interview, we came to some fire doors and he said PUSH and I snapped back I can read you know, with a ferocious glare.  Loved me from that point on.  So fuck knows how you please these cunts.  I gave up.  Best all round.

flotemysost

One of the most bizarre job interviews I've had was for a big fashion magazine publisher. Had to complete a psychometric test alongside the other applicants (six or seven of us) under exam conditions, all these twentysomething women dressed up to the nines scribbling in silence round a big boardroom table.

Anyway one section was various statements, each with a Likert scale where you had to mark how strongly you agreed or disagreed, and they were all really fucked up things like "Paedophiles should be flogged in public at the very least" and "Fathers should never have to change their babies' nappies". Absolutely mental.

I didn't get the job.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on January 21, 2021, 05:44:18 PM
When I had a career, I met a man who'd interviewed me for the initial post and I had subsequently caught up stripes-wise.  He told me he knew from day zero I was a top pick because when we were walking into the interview, we came to some fire doors and he said PUSH and I snapped back I can read you know, with a ferocious glare.  Loved me from that point on.  So fuck knows how you please these cunts.  I gave up.  Best all round.

Not an interview for a comedy writer's job then.