Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it too early for a re-assessment of This Time?

Started by Utter Shit, January 20, 2021, 02:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

It might be a bit early for a thread like this as it wasn't aired all that long ago (although I was shocked to see it was almost two years ago already), but the reception it got on here was somewhat lukewarm from what I remember.

I was certainly underwhelmed by it when it came out, but I'm rewatching it again at the moment and, without the crazy expectation and anticipation surrounding it...it's really, really good lads. I found myself laughing almost constantly. I'd massively recommend watching it again if you were a little disappointed at the time and haven't gone back to it.

Jumblegraws

I rewatched again a few weeks ago (hence a recent comparison I made between Trump on the phone to the Georgia SoS and Partridge trying to entrap Monty Don) and I had the exact same reaction. Not that I thought it was terrible or even merely mediocre the first time round, it was a highlight of my TV watching week, but on re-watch so much of it felt like solid gold Partridge highlights. The sequence with the Irish lookalike deserves to be in the top ten Partridge moments ever IMO.

In summary, what Utter Shit said.

Retinend

The lukewarm reception was strange to me as well. It's up there with the best of Partridge for me.

My memories of that thread are that some just don't like the Gibbons as much as they liked the old writing team (detractors, please correct me if wrong), as they are a little more "Father Ted" (silly and broad) and a little less "The Office", to put it over-simplistically. Personally, I liked how the Gibbons were able to apply their broad sense of humour to a more flexible medium than the low-budget Mid-Morning Matters webcam-format allowed for them.

The segment where Partridge casts a hunky actor to play himself standing up to the breathalyzer police, and then it cuts to him in the locker-room showers checking "himself" out had me momentarily insane with laughter.

Stuff that seemed silly on first viewing, like Alan giving CPR to a sex doll to the beat of "Another One Bites The Dust" were far funnier the second time around, when you know the tone they were going for.

Also, the "real" elements, like Jenny walking out or Alan's interactions with Lynn, were very engrossing, given that baseline of absurdity.

Lemming

Enjoyed it a lot the first time around, despite the format becoming tangibly strained to breaking point a few times and the repetition of several jokes from the audibooks, so if it's even better on a rewatch then I'm delighted.

"Oh, it's the panic shot of the South Downs."

The sequence about physical punishment in schools where Alan's face is edited terribly over the child actor nearly killed me from laughter the first time I saw it. In addition to the immediate visual joke, I just love thinking about how the fuck something so awful came about in-universe - presumably Alan being dissatisfied with the kid's performance and demanding to play himself in a desperate last-minute "fix".

BeardFaceMan

It seemed like most of the criticism was based around "this isn't realistic" rather than "this isn't funny". Now would be a good time for a rewatch, they've wrapped filming on series 2 havent they?

Retinend

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 20, 2021, 03:03:40 PMThe sequence with the Irish lookalike deserves to be in the top ten Partridge moments ever IMO.

Jenny's palpable amusement, along with the audience, of Irishalan's repeated "hu da hell is DAT?", is a joy to behold.

bgmnts

It's one of the weaker formats of Partridge, for sure, but then they released From the Oasthouse a year later, so I wasn't really bothered.

The episode with the Irish up the ra lookalike had me howling on the first viewing.

QDRPHNC

Tried a rewatch a couple of months ago, found myself skipping through it.

It's not IAP2 bad, but it's not great either.

Thosworth

I think the script has more story telling/scene setting and less tightness and immediately funny lines than previous appearances. If you watch KMKY or MMM then virtually every Alan line gets a laugh. Personally I prefer high-gag rate Alan rather than more of a character study, like what, say, Saxondale was. It was appropriate that the set was too spacious and airy, as it seemed to matched the script.

chveik

not the best Partridge but still one of the best comedy shows of these recent years. and the Oasthouse was amazing, so it's not like the writers have lost it.

I enjoyed it at the time but it definitely benefits from repeated viewings.  There are some top-tier Partridge moments in it; the Irish lookalike, the whole Alan-goes-vegetarian segment ("a rope of Walls sausages"), the CPR scene, etc.

Also, as amusing as it is to see Alan coming off second best, it's fantastic when he does get a win; specifically against that odious Sam Chatwin character when the tables turn regarding Jon Baskell's conduct:

"I'm sure there's no truth in this"
"How sure?"
"Pretty sure...!"
"Right, ok, stake your reputation on it sure, or minicab controller saying she's sure the taxi will be along in a minute...."

Cuellar

My favourite part of the Irish lookalike is when you hear him say 'that's a cat' over some footage of a cat

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Retinend on January 20, 2021, 03:16:08 PM
Jenny's palpable amusement, along with the audience, of Irishalan's repeated "hu da hell is DAT?", is a joy to behold.
An understated bit I also like from the scene is the Daniel Craig lookalike quietly enjoying the republican medley.

Consignia

I've not re-watched it, but I really enjoyed on it's first outing. It's a bit messy, I think it could do with out the off camera bits or at least frame the show differently to do both on and off camera. Sounds like it's worth a rewatch if it's better on a second viewing.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on January 21, 2021, 09:32:06 AM
Also, as amusing as it is to see Alan coming off second best, it's fantastic when he does get a win; specifically against that odious Sam Chatwin character when the tables turn regarding Jon Baskell's conduct:

"I'm sure there's no truth in this"
"How sure?"
"Pretty sure...!"
"Right, ok, stake your reputation on it sure, or minicab controller saying she's sure the taxi will be along in a minute...."
I think that's a good example of a bit that's funnier on a second viewing for me. When I first watched it I probably felt put out that some new character was intruding on Partridge airtime. Now that my brain has made peace with the format and the world-building therein, I take a lot more humour from that scene.

Ornlu

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 21, 2021, 09:43:19 AM
An understated bit I also like from the scene is the Daniel Craig lookalike quietly enjoying the republican medley.

"Double-o-feckin bollocks"

kalowski

The Irish lookalike was one of my favourite bits (hence avatar) but generally I was underwhelmed. It is lower than the much hated on here IAP2 in my eyes. The Gibbons are great usually
MMM and Oasthouse are absolutely fantastic.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on January 21, 2021, 09:32:06 AM

I don't think Alan would conflate taxis and minicabs like that. He'd know that "taxi" should only be applied to a licensed hackney carriage, not a private hire vehicle.

notjosh

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 21, 2021, 11:02:35 AM
I don't think Alan would conflate taxis and minicabs like that. He'd know that "taxi" should only be applied to a licensed hackney carriage, not a private hire vehicle.

He was quoting an imagined minicab controller, and specifically used incorrect terminology to make her sound more stupid.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Retinend on January 20, 2021, 03:07:23 PM
some just don't like the Gibbons as much as they liked the old writing team (detractors, please correct me if wrong), as they are a little more "Father Ted" (silly and broad) and a little less "The Office", to put it over-simplistically.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2021, 03:13:58 PM
It seemed like most of the criticism was based around "this isn't realistic" rather than "this isn't funny".

I don't understand this criticism at all (not directed at you two, but the people you're paraphrasing).

Surely it's more realistic than KMKY? No silly wigs, naff costumes, the same actors playing multiple characters (Irish Alan excepted), killing a guest, or punching the Chief Commissioner. Aesthetically it looks exactly like a real magazine show, and the tone of it isn't particularly exaggerated.

I think it's great. If not golden era Partridge, then a good silver.

The low point for me was Alan getting a big lip from an allergic reaction. I thought the makeup was a bit too much. Also, is the show meant to be live, like the One Show? If so, I felt that he changes clothes and joins the other signers too quickly. A tell-tale sign that it's really pre-recorded and edited.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: An tSaoi on January 21, 2021, 11:57:18 AM
I don't understand this criticism at all (not directed at you two, but the people you're paraphrasing).

Surely it's more realistic than KMKY? No silly wigs, naff costumes, the same actors playing multiple characters (Irish Alan excepted), killing a guest, or punching the Chief Commissioner. Aesthetically it looks exactly like a real magazine show, and the tone of it isn't particularly exaggerated.

I think it's great. If not golden era Partridge, then a good silver.

The low point for me was Alan getting a big lip from an allergic reaction. I thought the makeup was a bit too much. Also, is the show meant to be live, like the One Show? If so, I felt that he changes clothes and joins the other signers too quickly. A tell-tale sign that it's really pre-recorded and edited.

I agree, people seemed far too concerned with saying things like a pre-taped video clip featuring some calling Partridge a wanker would never have aired on a real show. I never understood that line of thinking, the show is a spoof of The One Show, not a direct recreation, the same way KMKY is a spoof chat show and not a direct copy of Parky. You know, exaggerating things for comedy purposes.

An tSaoi

If you look at KMKY, it's so obviously a sitcom. I reckon someone completely unfamiliar with Partridge (if such a person exists) could turn on This Time and not notice straight away that's it's a joke. I mean, you'd get it eventually. But half-watching it, or channel surfing, it seems immediately more realistic.

Hang on, it's the laughter isn't it?

Anyway, it's a moot point, because realism doesn't make it more or less funny.

EOLAN

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 21, 2021, 09:43:19 AM

And then change to a face of strong disapproval once it becomes obvious it is an anti-British IRA song.
Also; it built up nicely cos the first song was just a standard love song (by a vaudeville star) popularised in Ireland through the Fureys, second song - it doesn't become clear 'til late in the song that it is an IRA song.

petril

Quote from: EOLAN on January 21, 2021, 12:52:42 PM
And then change to a face of strong disapproval once it becomes obvious it is an anti-British IRA song.
Also; it built up nicely cos the first song was just a standard love song (by a vaudeville star) popularised in Ireland through the Fureys, second song - it doesn't become clear 'til late in the song that it is an IRA song.

for the more Irish and Irish-aware audience, there's the bonus of knowing that an old man starting singing like in a pub has the potential of turning into rebel songs, so that little bit of tension has a payoff because of course he does, he's on Alan's show, Alan doesn't learn how to deal with things from his mistakes

Jockice

Quote from: EOLAN on January 21, 2021, 12:52:42 PM

Send the buggers back.

Hey Kidz

I'd love to watch Steve Coogan sing the whole of "come out you black and tans" as that character

QDRPHNC

Quote from: An tSaoi on January 21, 2021, 11:57:18 AM

I don't rate KMKY that highly either, certainly below TT.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 21, 2021, 12:08:14 PM
I agree, people seemed far too concerned with saying things like a pre-taped video clip featuring some calling Partridge a wanker would never have aired on a real show. I never understood that line of thinking, the show is a spoof of The One Show, not a direct recreation, the same way KMKY is a spoof chat show and not a direct copy of Parky. You know, exaggerating things for comedy purposes.

Whereas to me, what you're saying sounds too much like "just turn your brain off, it's just meant to be funny."

I can't give you a rational reason why, say, the idea of Alan filming his Donty gotcha moment outside the restaurant he knows Donty is about to come out of, then legs it in a car, then somehow all of that makes it through the editing process of what is supposed to be a mainstream show, bothers me and takes me out of the comedy, but it does. And it's fair to critique it on those grounds.

And the CPR to Queen thing, I can see why it's supposed to be funny, but to me it crosses the line into absurdity, and not good absurdity. Pointless, suspension-of-disbelief-breaking absurdity.

BeardFaceMan

But that's because you're judging it as an actual show and it's not, it's a spoof. Look at all the things that happened in KMKY, that was purporting to be a mainstream chat show and there's a whole mass of things that happened on that show that would never happen on real tv, but no one ever seems to mention realism or being taken out of the comedy when talking about KMKY. I'm not saying turn your brain off, but you're creating your own reason to be disappointed by saying "but that would never happen in real life", it's not meant to be real life, it's heightened reality so things that wouldn't usually happen do happen for comedic purposes. Now if you don't find that kind of thing funny then fair fucks to you, but if you can't give a rational reason for it taking you out of the comedy then it doesn't sound like a fair critique, that's not really a fault of the show.

jobotic

I'm sure this point has been made a million times, but all these pretend documentaries or behind the scenes shows have that.

Why would you have a personal conversation in an office when you know it's all being filmed and the people you are talking about would watch it?

Why would you not edit out a bit in which you're presenter is called a wanker?

Don't really care with the latter because TT was really funny, but it did bother me a bit.