Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playing Breath Of The Wild... again

Started by lazyhour, January 20, 2021, 05:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Just ran away from a Lionel[nb]I know[/nb] and did the Zora Divine Beast. Then I found a load of sleeping baddies who were near some bomb barrels but not near enough. So, I got in position, whistled at them, and blew up the barrels as they all got closer to investigate the noise.  It's good this game, innit?

McQ

Whoa, weird. I'm also playing Breath of the Wild! But it's the first time for me. I'm having a great time. About thirty-five hours in and I've done loads of wandering and climbing, completed lots of side quests and opened up most of the maps, and boosted my stamina by doing a fair few shrines. Just solved the Divine Beast Van Naboris and beaten Thunderblight Ganon, also. It's loads of fun, but I do have that sneaking suspicion all the time that I'm doing it wrong or missing out on stuff. I've just read that Thunderblight Ganon is the hardest boss out of the Divine Beasts, but I did him first, so that might have been an error! Just scoffed a load of durians for the extra hearts and went at him. I guess there's no strict right way doing things, but there's probably a sequence that's close to optimal? Probably the wrong way to think about it, though. Just enjoy the ride, bro!

Thursday

Yeah definitely intended to be open and flexible. I think there's probably subtle ways the game scales things as you progress anyway, and there's routes where I think the designers thought "people are probably going to do this first" but I'm not even sure of that.

lazyhour

Nice to see you, McQ! They've tried to design it to be as non-linear as possible so there genuinely isn't a 'right' or 'best' order to do things in. The only way the developers steer you, as far as I can tell, is by making some areas relatively inhospitable or inaccessible without certain clothing upgrades. That's pretty much it I think.

Kelvin

There is some guidance early on, with the main quest leading you to Kakariko and Hateno, before adding the Divine Beasts to the map. And the most obvious route to those locations takes you very close to a relatively safe Sheikah Tower, a stables and a certain character, to make introducing them more likely.

In terms of more subtle guidance, they also stick the forest on the far of the map from the the Plateau, and the Gerudu Desert (which is the hardest Divine Beast) in places that you're less likely to visit straight away, when first jumping off the Plateau towards the castle. I suspect most people visit Zora's Domain first, as that's the Divine Beast closest to Kakariko and Hateno. 

Blinder Data

the big tall Zora interrupted me when I was hanging about near the path to Zora's domain. it was probably the only time when I felt the game was telling me to focus on a certain mission, so I'm guessing there is a little guiding along the way.

I could do with more handholding though. I found out online I was missing a piece of armour because I didn't bother trying to open a chest in a shrine, as most of the time they're full of weapons I don't want anyway. same goes for fighting - had no idea parrying was a thing until I saw it on YouTube. I know experimentation is key but some explanation of the basics and how to get really important items would be appreciated, Nintendo mate

I've got one more Divine beast to go, but I'm tempted to complete all shrines and other bollocks before taking on Ganon. hunting lynels at the mo for their guts. love it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 28, 2021, 07:45:14 PM
I could do with more handholding though. I found out online I was missing a piece of armour because I didn't bother trying to open a chest in a shrine, as most of the time they're full of weapons I don't want anyway. same goes for fighting - had no idea parrying was a thing until I saw it on YouTube. I know experimentation is key but some explanation of the basics and how to get really important items would be appreciated, Nintendo mate

The parrying does get at least one tutorial, in the shrine at kakariko (i.e. a place most people will visit early on) 

QuoteI've got one more Divine beast to go, but I'm tempted to complete all shrines and other bollocks before taking on Ganon. hunting lynels at the mo for their guts. love it.

If you intend to get the DLC at some point, I'd recommend getting that and playing through it before you try and clear out the last shrines. 

kittens

i've started playing again too. all the dlc occurs after beating the divine beasts but before beating ganon? if so i'll hold off on buying it until that point as i may very well get bored before then.

lazyhour

Quote from: kittens on January 30, 2021, 09:12:11 AM
i've started playing again too. all the dlc occurs after beating the divine beasts but before beating ganon? if so i'll hold off on buying it until that point as i may very well get bored before then.

The DLC also lets you get a Korok mask pretty early in the game, which tells you if there's a Korok hiding nearby. The DLC is almost worth it just for this!

lazyhour

Today i had two memorable experiences that I never stumbled upon in my original playthrough!

I love this game.

Quote from: lazyhour on January 31, 2021, 07:28:21 PM
Today i had two memorable experiences that I never stumbled upon in my original playthrough!

I love this game.

What were they? I'm having withdrawal symptoms even though I only finished it a few months ago.

lazyhour

A huge underground 'forgotten temple' or something like that, with about 12 static guardians inside, and a great little challenge where you enter a pitch black area and have to light torches and eventually fight a Hinox in the dark.

Kelvin

Quote from: lazyhour on January 31, 2021, 10:55:15 PM
A huge underground 'forgotten temple' or something like that, with about 12 static guardians inside

Presumably you handled them like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHciFwnAovA

lazyhour

Holy shit! Erm, no, I glided past them and killed a few of the Guardians nearest the shrine, one by one. Then I ran away.

lazyhour

You guys I've just found and tamed an absolutely fucking massive horse. I've named him Brutus.

McQ

I've found naming horses to be quite a challenge! Ended up naming the royal horse Astronaut because I'd been sat there for about five minutes wracking my brains for something snappy, and so I eventually ended up just deciding to grab a CD off the shelf at random and name it after one of the songs. (Astronaut by Smog, that is, from the album Accumulation: None.) Had another one called Banana, but it fell off a bridge. Was quite disappointed I couldn't board the Stalhorse, also.

How's everyone getting on with this, then? I've logged just over a hundo hours. I'm stretching it out, exploring, doing loads of side quests. Saving my final Divine Beast and Calamity Gammon for a special occasion. I'm starting to wonder whether I ought to go and take them out now, though, and do all the other stuff at a later date. I've found all my memories, got the master sword, done about 70-odd shrines, built Tarreytown, upgraded a lot of my gear*, and done a fair few side quests, etc. I think I want to 100% the game now (except, I doubt I'll find all the Koroks) but I'm wondering if I'll lose interest if I finish the story. How did other people go about it?

*What on earth is the Great Fairy doing to poor Link when you get the third upgrade on an item of clothing? Poor lad looks traumatised!

McQ

"You must hurry, Link!"

"Yeah, hang on, I'll be there in about two weeks, got some errands to run."

lazyhour

Is it fun/worthwhile doing the build-a-town sidequest, then? I didn't bother on my first playthrough and I've not yet bothered this time. Am I the fool?

Astronaut is a handsome name for a horse. My first one had a freckly bum so I called him Dot-Dot.

McQ

It's a bit grindy in places, but it is very weird and a lot of fun, I'd say. I enjoyed it!

I hope one day that Astronaut and Dot-Dot can meet and gallop together.

lazyhour

Dot-Dot actually got killed by a Guardian, much to my horror. I had no idea horses could die in Breath Of The Wild. I mourned his passing for quite a while, then accepted it.

Then days later I found a creepy horse god who brought Dot-Dot back to life!

It was an emotional rollercoaster.

McQ

Oh my god, I didn't realise this was possible.

I could be reunited with Banana!

This game, and I cannot stress this enough, contains multitudes.

Also, MY CONDOLENC (for the few days you spent in mourning).

lazyhour

'Preciate that.

I never found the horse god on my first playthrough, but then I never lost a horse on my first playthrough either!

Multitudes, indeed!

Thursday

Quote from: McQ on February 09, 2021, 12:18:04 PM
It's a bit grindy in places, but it is very weird and a lot of fun, I'd say. I enjoyed it!

Yeah I don't think what you're actually doing in the quest is especially interesting, but gradually building up the town is genuinely lovely.

Quote from: Thursday on February 09, 2021, 12:42:56 PM
Yeah I don't think what you're actually doing in the quest is especially interesting, but gradually building up the town is genuinely lovely.

It was one of my favourite parts of the game, watching the town slowly come to life and everything that happens around it. Also has some quests within the town, one involving a family that I liked a lot.

jobotic

Isn't there a guy who sends you to kill a guardian while he watches? Then he says "when you're rich you can do things like that"?

The only thing that pisses me off is not being able to find Giant Ancient Cores. Had a couple from shrines but they're quite elusive and I need a new guardian shield.

lazyhour

Okay, I'm doing it! I've just bought myself a house and soon going to head up to Akkala region to find Hudson...

McQ

Quote from: lazyhour on February 09, 2021, 01:59:51 PM
Okay, I'm doing it! I've just bought myself a house and soon going to head up to Akkala region to find Hudson...

It's also good because when you're done (or during the process, whatever you want) you can sing to yourself, "And we're living here in Tarrey Town," like Billy Joel would do if he were playing Zelda. Might write an entire Joel/Zelda mash-up musical, if I find the time, actually. "But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore the Yiga Clan's clothes."

lazyhour

This idea, I like!

"What'sa matter with the clothes I'm wearing / can't you tell that they're ancient armour?"

Dog Botherer

Quote from: jobotic on February 09, 2021, 01:42:32 PM
The only thing that pisses me off is not being able to find Giant Ancient Cores. Had a couple from shrines but they're quite elusive and I need a new guardian shield.

the giant ancient cores are a fucker to get. there's no real trick to getting them as far as i can tell, you basically either have to hope you get lucky with a chest or grind the walking guardians. i think they also stop spawning or spawn a lot less at least once you have a few in your inventory, which means you're constantly running out.