Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playing Breath Of The Wild... again

Started by lazyhour, January 20, 2021, 05:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Quote from: jobotic on February 24, 2021, 10:40:38 PM
Wait, what?

I've got 21 shrines to go but I'm off to find this horse thing! Was pleased enough with the big black one.

The lady at the stable nearby mentions it.

jobotic

Yeah I looked that up (which I know I shouldn't).  Will just have to keep an eye out.

Did dispatch a Lynel in record time while I was looking. Having full stamina and a shitload of bomb arrows does help.

Magnum Valentino

Is it possible for me to get this on digital download for any less than the £60 Nintendo is charging, or do I just have to get a cart second hand?

I'm finally going to have another go at it, take my time with it this time.

brat-sampson

I think there are some key-selling sites that work for older games like cdkeys.com, but I believe Nintendo have stopped allowing 3rd parties to sell keys for any more recent games. BOTW you should be ok, but I don't know what the prices are like. According to DekuDeals physical is currently 20% off at Amazon UK and Game too.

Consignia

You maybe able to get a voucher for a digital download somewhere for cheaper than Nintendo stupid prices. Nintendo have recently stopped issuing them for first party games, but you maybe get old ones for a discount.

AzureSky

This game has consumed most of my spare time during the last year (I've only played this and Mario Odyssey in the past 10 years, so I'm not a gamer), there is always something else to do or achieve... although I think I have now done everything as of today, apart from collect all the treasure chests (which is obviously insane):

Normal Mode - all shrines, main and side quests, memories, koroks, all amour sets fully upgraded (including amiibo ones), full compendium & picture, all items (bridles and saddles, medals, letter, imbiio exclusives etc), max score in all mini games, 100% on the map, master sword fully upgraded, DLC / motorbike done etc..

Master Mode - just played this to see if I could do the trials of the sword and see if I could beat a Gold Lynel. Did all shrines first and got the motorbike, the beginning trials was the hardest thing in the game (along with that bastard mounted archery game & thunderblight in illusory realm was hard too).

Kind of gutted there isn't anything left, even after all this time. I reckon I must have spent 500+ hours on it and I still want to play it. The shear effort and thought that has gone into it at every step of way is phenomenal... it's the greatest, most exquisite, thing.

jobotic

Is this a new Zelda or a Switch version of an old one?

I've only played Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker before so not paid much attention to Wii ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27t1VEU4d0

And should I get it seeing as I've not played it before either way?

Consignia

It's a Switch version of a Wii game which extensively used waggle controls. I'm a bit apprehensive because I've never played it, but want to, however the controls look a bit crap. Will have to see how it pans out before I consider.

Would have been great to have got this in an all stars pack containing Wind Waker and Twlight Princess. But of course, that would been sensible and Nintendo don't do sensible. So full price buggering is.

jobotic

Thanks

Yeah would love to have Wind Waker again.

Consignia

There's some pretty strong rumours that Wind Waker and Twlight Princess are due this year on Switch. Don't know in what form, but apparently it's not been announced yet to make sure Skyward Sword has all the press. They should be released together in a budget compilation but I suspect they will both be full price too 🙄.

jobotic

Never even seen Twilight Princess. How does that compare to the others?

My Gamecube Wind Waker came with Ocarina of Time, although I'd already done that on the 64. That was a great way to do it.

Chedney Honks

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are both very much 'post-Ocarina' and follow that formula of slow start, gradual access to a relatively empty overworld map and great dungeons. They each have their own twists but this is a fair description. I really love them both, despite their formulaic nature.

I would look forward to playing them more than any of the other dreck announced for any console for this year.

Dog Botherer

i enjoyed both WW and Twilight Princess but unfortunately did not beat either of them since our wii u remote was accidentally destroyed. i don't remember the controls being especially bad on either but then i am not very good at video games and may just have not noticed.

couldn't get into Skyward Sword as much. not sure why.

colacentral

Skyward Sword is the only main line Zelda I couldn't finish. The puzzles in the dungeons are great, and I like the use of the motion controls to solve them, but I found the bosses and certain enemies a nightmare. The first dungeon has a skulltula you have to specifically stab in the stomach to kill, and it took me for fucking ever to do it. Plus the overworld is shite. I'm looking forward to giving it another go though.

The style of Skyward Sword is what's putting me off, something about it looks really tacky.

Kelvin

Windwaker HD: After OoT and Majora's Mask, this was the first game where the series mechanics started to feel a bit stagnant and repetitive; the dungeons are full of torch lighting, block puzzles and light reflecting mirrors, for example - stuff most Zelda players have seen many times before. However, everything about the game's aesthetic is sublime; the art style, the music, the quirky characters, and, unusually for Zelda, a pretty decent story. It's just an absolutely pleasure to play, and although the Gamecube version is decent, the Wii U's HD remake is a significant step forward, with several of the Gamecube version's more annoying sections - a late game fetch quest, and a tedious wind mechanic - completely overhauled. A decent game, elevated to an all time great off the back of the glorious, joyful world it's set in.   

Twilight Princess: Easily the worst 3D Zelda, imo - and the only one I never look forward to replaying. It's basically the boring emo brother of the series. Ugly, drab, and characterless - everything about the game feels designed to frustrate and bore the player; from the tedious backtracking, to multiple collection quests, to the vast, generic dungeons. Perhaps if you want a more superficially "dark" entry in the series it might appeal, and I know some people think the Ocarina-style dungeons are among the best in the series. But so far as I'm concerned, the only real things to recommend it are Midna (the series' best companion character, by miles), and a few decent cutscenes. My over-riding memory of the game is the colour brown.

Skyward Sword: A real curates egg, this one. There's lot of love; imaginative items that go beyond the usual boomerangs and hookshots; a good central town; and I actually think these might be the best dungeons in the 3D series, being just the right length and mostly really inventive. However, it's also the most linear game in the 3D series, with you effectively being railroaded through the same three environments (at least) three separate times, with lots of crap busy work and collection quests to fill it out. I actually think the combat/motion control is very well implemented, despite a bit of jank here and there. But it's a hard game to love, even though I somehow do. It basically staggers back and forth between series' highs and lows, and is therefore both hard to recommend or ignore.

Kelvin

Quote from: thelittlemango on March 11, 2021, 05:10:09 PM
The style of Skyward Sword is what's putting me off, something about it looks really tacky.

The Wii version had a filter that made it look like everything in the distance had an impressionistic "mottling" effect applied to it, but in reality it just made everything look incredibly blurry and ugly. The HD version looks much sharper, but has consequently lost some of the effect that was - at least in theory - designed to make the game's deliberately flatter visuals come together.

I will say that the character and enemy design is mostly very good, though.     

Bazooka

QuoteTwilight Princess: Easily the worst 3D Zelda, imo - and the only one I never look forward to replaying. It's basically the boring emo brother of the series.

You spelt Breath Of The Wild wrong😜

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on March 11, 2021, 06:23:01 PM
You spelt Breath Of The Wild wrong😜

Too emo?! Nah. Twilight Princess is a Zelda game directed by Zack Snyder. 

jobotic

My only problem with WW is that I am generally shit at games and figuring out what I'm supposed to do. I remember having to print out parts of walk-throughs at work (no internet at home) because I had no idea where to go next and was aimlessly sailing around for ages.

kidney

In WW can't you always ask your talking boat for advice on what to do next?

AzureSky

Bought the official strategy guide, which is a gorgeous 512-page heavy hardback, and now getting all of the chests. Can't stop.