Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What type/brand of oximeter is best?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 21, 2021, 01:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Dr Matt Inada-Kim, a consultant in acute medicine at Hampshire Hospitals, is recommending everyone buys an oximeter to see if their oxygen level in the blood is high enough.

QuoteA normal oxygen level in the blood is between 95% and 100%...

If oxygen levels drop to 93% or 94%, then people speak to their GP or call 111. If they go below 92%, people should go to A&E or call 999 for an ambulance...Dr Inada-Kim says there isn't definitive proof that the gadget saves lives and it could take until April to know for sure. However, the early signs are all positive.

"What we think we can see are the early seeds of a reduction in the length of stay after a hospital admission, an improvement in survival and a reduction in the pressures on the emergency services," he said.

He is so convinced of their role in tackling silent hypoxia that he said everyone should consider buying one.

"Personally I would, and I know a number of colleagues who have bought pulse oximeters to distribute to their loved ones," he said.

He advised checking they had a CE Kitemark and to avoid apps on smartphones, which he said were not as reliable.

Not sure how you can check if a device has a CE Kitemark if you are buying online. There are so many oximeters online and I don't want to buy an unreliable device - does anyone have an oximeter and if so can you recommend the type you have? I don't know how reliable online reviews are. Is price a good guide?

I know its only one medical person recommending them but I'd rather get one if there is a chance it might help.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Something like this would be good enough for this sort of thing.

https://www.medisave.co.uk/a310-finger-pulse-oximeter.html

It's obviously not as precise or accurate as a calibrated pro-level device, but they cost 100s of euros.

Seeing lots of people in the community with silent hypoxia, especially older people COVID+ve. No temp, no cough, don't feel short of breath, but with oxygen sats of 85%. Scary stuff.

Zetetic

There seems to be a tonne churned out by quite a few factories to a very small set of designs and then sold under a wide set of brands.

I'm guessing it's basically impossible to actually determine the quality of any given nominal Make + Model at this price point unless you do it for an individual device.

I think you've got to assume with one of these that a low reading is meaningful, but a high reading is meaningless, since you've no idea of the true sensitivity/specificity. But in that case, you can worry less about trying to find one that you're very confident in.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 21, 2021, 01:56:36 PM
Dr Matt Inada-Kim, a consultant in acute medicine at Hampshire Hospitals
He's also NHS England's Clinical Director of stuff to do with acute deterioration.

QuoteNot sure how you can check if a device has a CE Kitemark if you are buying online
Put one on yourself, if you want.

Blue Jam

I just took delivery of this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07MLVB71S

Chosen because it wasn't too expensive or too cheap and it came with next day delivery and, er, I liked the look of it, it didn't look as cheap and flimsy as some of the others.

Anyway, I ordered one because I developed a cough with shortness of breath and wheezing and a slight fever earlier this week and thought it would be a good idea. Had a test to rule out Covid but I still had a nasty chest infection that was making it hard to breathe at times. Also I thought I should try monitoring my asthma a bit more closely.

Tried it out today. Got a reading of 90% earlier after a coughing fit when I was really struggling to breathe, then I took some paracetamol, drank some water and had a rest and watched it slowly creep up to 97% as I started to feel better. I'd say this one works well enough then.

They're probably all the same though. It seems there are two tiers: cheapo ones for home use which are accurate to +/- 2 or 3%, and proper ones for medical use which are more accurate but cost a fucking bomb. 3% is good enough for me.

Sebastian Cobb

Most of the finger ones are fine. The wrist ones (e.g. iWatches) are less good because they use only one wavelength of (infrared) light and also they have to bounce off bone and deal with the fact your watch moves around on your wrist.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat type/brand of oximeter is best?

A shithot one

Cheers

Blue Jam

Just got an infrared ear thermometer from Aldi for £13 (RRP £30):

https://www.aldi.co.uk/homedics-in-ear-thermometer/p/709950436625600

Had one left in stock in the random crap aisle of my local store. Despite this being in with the baby stuff it's actually suitable for all humans aged six months or over.

Decided to get one after my GP confirmed that my oral thermometer was about a degree Celsius out, which is no fucking good is it?

Not an oximeter I know, just a heads up if anyone is still after bits of Covid kit.