Author Topic: Psycho Goreman (2021)  (Read 1824 times)

sirhenry

• That worked out well...
Psycho Goreman (2021)
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
Just been made aware of this as it's released today. It looks gloriously 80's cheesy horror (Guyver and Power Rangers keep being mentioned in reviews), so that's my weekend viewing sorted.

Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3dFm_Vm528

How come it's not been mentioned here before?[1]
 1. I did look, honest

Re: Psycho Goreman (2021)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:05:05 PM »
Very decent for what it is, trying to be a faithful recreation of shitty 80s kids' monster movies. I was amazed by the time and budget: It was shot in Chicago, Illinois on 16mm in less than a month with a budget of $110,000.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 12:51:33 AM »

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:56:01 PM »
Very decent for what it is, trying to be a faithful recreation of shitty 80s kids' monster movies. I was amazed by the time and budget: It was shot in Chicago, Illinois on 16mm in less than a month with a budget of $110,000.

I shouldn't have said "shitty 80s kids' monster movies", I'd had a drink and wasn't very articulate - I just meant it's a mash-up in the vain of those campy monster movies that were very popular at the time like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Spaced Invaders, Harry And The Hendersons, Monster Squad etc, and it helps immensely it's not been done in a knowing way that's been very popular for low-budget movies to purposefully look like shit for cheap yuks and tends to drive me up the wall. It's recreates the kind campy fun atmosphere of those old movies and plays it straight rather than 'ha ha, wink-wink, we're actually taking the piss here'.

Incidentally a documentary on Monster Squad came out a while ago: Wolfman's Got Nards

Rev+

• Like it is, like it sounds
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 02:22:42 AM »
S'alright, I suppose.  The set-up is great:  an immensely powerful space bastard lands on Earth and, through the use of a powerful widget, is immediately controlled by an absolute arsehole of a child.  She is a right arsehole, mind.

It just falls into that horror-comedy hole of not being particularly good at either.  It also feels like something was lost in a rewrite at some point - there's a theme of bad parenting, and the kids think that just sticking a TV in the monster's room will be enough to keep him happy.  There's a whole lot of wandering about in the woods from the halfway point, which does seem a bit like filming stuff as a replacement for stuff they weren't able to film.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:15:41 PM »
Watched this on Sunday. Great stuff, I thought. Some genuine LOLS. Particularly "I don't CARE for hunky boys........or DO I?" along with the awkward dinner scene at the end. Poor Blob/Alastair. It was just the right side of cheese. Could imagine Peter Jackson making that, back in the day. And yes, the girl is a complete bitch.

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »
Enjoyed this once I clicked with it.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:02:59 PM »

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
Jesus Shows You The Way To The Highway looks like it might be a similar tone low budget 80s retro-a-thon, though I haven't watched it yet, looks like it might veer dangerously close to The Greasy Strangler territory.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:08 PM »
It is much more odd and inventive I would say, and less gross. Very low budget though

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »
Going to be watching this tonight with the boy. He has a high tolerance for gore.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:12 AM »
I really liked this but thought the mum and dad characters were too wacky for want of a better word. The dad's first few bits were good when he was being sarcastic or outright lying but towards the end it was like they'd written the part to be played as an avatar for the viewer and he was commenting on the film in a detached way.

The little girl was an incredible actress. She really played a little dickhead really well.

The PG costume reminded me of some other low budget horror/sci-fi film I've seen in the last 20 years but I can't put my finger on what it was though. I liked it when they dressed him in "normal" clothes which turned out to be the exact same thing that Sam Neill wore in "Jurassic Park"

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
I enjoyed this, was funny and nice

That's crazy as hell, the effect are pretty decent

Tags: