Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,320
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:19:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shop alone'

Started by Norton Canes, January 22, 2021, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2021, 09:43:52 PM
We don't have a car so we walk to and from the supermarket to do the big shop, about 3/4 of a mile. Obviously there"s only so much one person can carry so we can either go alone and get enough for maybe 5 days, or go together and get enough for at least twice that. I've no idea which is better virus-wise but I'd imagine going together as it means less visits to the shop overall, and we've not been challenged, but given the number of multiple member families turning up there too, largely maskless, I'm not surprised.

Have you tried doing click and collect if it's available at that shop? That way neither of you have to go inside, but you can both carry stuff home.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2021, 05:09:35 PM
They say shopping alone decreases time spent in the store. Does it bollocks! There are two of us!

One person knows what they want, the other is inevitably a ditherer.

Quote from: Alberon on January 22, 2021, 05:57:33 PM
I get trolley rage. Half the time I want to go Grand Theft Auto with it down the aisles at warp speed.

Me too!  Except I use a basket not a trolley as you can manoeuvre much quicker.
And why is there always a woman blocking the yogurts with a massive trolley. (Not being sexist, it's ALWAYS a woman never a man.)   I just want to get some yogurts, why are you always there, fucking hell!

Uncle TechTip

I'm surprised people still highlight maskless shoppers, for almost a year I've been going to stores of various income brackets and it's never more than 2% non-compliance, if there's 50 or 100 people in there I might see one or two without a mask.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 22, 2021, 11:09:29 PM
Strange thing to ask. No.

For the record.

CaB user mashup mistake. It was Dr Syntax Head had the breakup.

Chedney Honks

Can't stop laughing thinking of you or your wife standing outside Sainsbury's fuming like a fucking idiot while the other one does the shopping.

SpiderChrist

Have fucked off going into supermarkets completely since my last visit to Tesco about a fortnight ago. It was crowded, people were shopping en famille, saw one woman with four [unmasked] kids and her mask was below her nose, no attempts at social distancing by staff or shoppers, groups of folk standing chatting in aisles. Had a bit of a panic attack and left my shopping in the trolley and went home. Frightening levels of fuckwittery on display. Clicking and collecting from Sainsburys now.

WhoMe

My favourite is people wearing the clear plastic faceshield things, with the fucker tilted up above their eye line like a pointless hat.

JamesTC

Big trip out to the shop with the lads. What is wrong with that?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 22, 2021, 11:43:56 PM
Actually, you're depriving a vulnerable and/or elderly personal of the scarce delivery slots, you selfish prick. GET INTO THAT SHOP.

Bollocks, there's shitloads of slots on morrisons.

Icehaven

Quote from: C_Larence on January 23, 2021, 12:16:21 AM
Have you tried doing click and collect if it's available at that shop? That way neither of you have to go inside, but you can both carry stuff home.

I spose, but having accidentally bought out of date stuff from there a few times off the shelf I wouldn't trust someone else picking my shopping.

Psybro

I shop alone
Yeeaah, with nobody else
Yeah, you know when I shop alone
I prefer to be by myself

El Unicornio, mang

If you have Amazon Prime, Morrisons does free same day delivery if you spend over 40 quid

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 24, 2021, 01:55:47 PM
If you have Amazon Prime, Morrisons does free same day delivery if you spend over 40 quid

How do you link these two together? I've been using Morrisons to get groceries. Although even paying the £1.50 for an evening slot is worth it for the time saved traipsing round a shop.

Chedney Honks

It does depend on your area, not available everywhere, unfortunately.

Sebastian Cobb

I think round my way the deliveries come from a different Morrisons to the one I go to, which makes sense as it'd be rubbish at servicing big vans. But it's frustrating I can't get some stuff that my local one has in abundance, like Paneer.

They never seem to have ginger either.

Fambo Number Mive

I shop alone and live alone and, while I would always obey the COVID rules if I lived with someone, would love someone to be waiting outside the supermarket to help me carry my groceries the 20 minute walk from grocery store to house. Perhaps the other person could meet me halfway and take one of my bags while I wipe the sweat from my brow.

Sometimes I'm staggering along with several heavy shopping bags, my glasses steaming up every 200 metres and my back covered in sweat. Anyone else experience this?

It's also very hard to buy enough for one week if you live alone, I don't usually manage it. I've got to buy more than usual because I'm not buying my lunch in the centre of town to eat at work like I would pre-COVID.

There are no nearby supermarkets where I live, well there is a Lidl but you have to walk along a road where barely anyone social distances and it's full of pavement cyclists. So that's out. If my mind was a bit better I'd get a car, but my concentration isn't very good among other things.

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 24, 2021, 06:49:23 PM

Sometimes I'm staggering along with several heavy shopping bags, my glasses steaming up every 200 metres and my back covered in sweat. Anyone else experience this?

Given I've been very fortunate in that no one I know has died or been seriously ill with the virus itself, I can in all honesty say one of the worst things about the whole crisis for me has been my fucking glasses steaming up all the time. It's unbelievably irritating and got ten times worse when it got cold as they often steam up then anyway but even more so when you've got a damn mask on. I tried some anti-fog spray stuff off ebay when washing up liquid didn't work, but that didn't work either, and the cheeky bastards sent me several emails asking me to remove my bad review of their useless product (that was probably just washing up liquid too) after they'd refunded me because the refund had been "prompt"! I didn't want my £2.89 back, I want my fecking glasses to stop steaming up! I keep promising myself I'll get some new contacts as soon as some normality returns, but ironically I won't need them as much then as we probably won't have to wear masks anymore and it'll be warmer.

And as for carrying shopping, get one of those granny shopping trolleys, they're brilliant and I don't care how old that makes me sound or look, you can get far more in one of them than you could ever carry in bags. Rucksacks are good too, much easier to carry heavy stuff in than in bags you hand carry.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 24, 2021, 02:38:47 PM
How do you link these two together? I've been using Morrisons to get groceries. Although even paying the £1.50 for an evening slot is worth it for the time saved traipsing round a shop.

It just automatically came up on my Prime page. There are two Morrisons pretty close to me though, so as Chedney says it might depend on where you live.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2021, 09:43:52 PM
We don't have a car so we walk to and from the supermarket to do the big shop, about 3/4 of a mile. Obviously there"s only so much one person can carry so we can either go alone and get enough for maybe 5 days, or go together and get enough for at least twice that. I've no idea which is better virus-wise but I'd imagine going together as it means less visits to the shop overall, and we've not been challenged, but given the number of multiple member families turning up there too, largely maskless, I'm not surprised.

Why not just take the trolley home with you, then return with it on your next shopping outing? It's technically yours, since you paid a quid for it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 23, 2021, 01:51:22 AM
I'm surprised people still highlight maskless shoppers, for almost a year I've been going to stores of various income brackets and it's never more than 2% non-compliance, if there's 50 or 100 people in there I might see one or two without a mask.

Seems about right that around 1-5% of shoppers would have some sort of medical condition preventing them from wearing a mask.

Still probably not good enough for the draconian OCD cunts who aren't happy unless every last person is forcibly masked up and submerged in a vat of hand-sanitizer.

Chedney Honks

If you're exempt, you should order your groceries online for delivery, click and collect at worst or simply starve to death for all I fucking care, asthmatic cunt.

cptspalding

Not been in any shop for almost a year now and have not missed the experience one bit.

PHWOAR

Sonny_Jim

Sometimes I'm staggering along with several heavy shopping bags, my glasses steaming up every 200 metres and my back covered in sweat.
...and then I got on the bus....

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 25, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
Why not just take the trolley home with you, then return with it on your next shopping outing? It's technically yours, since you paid a quid for it.

I've been doing this for a while.  Trolley for a quid, sell on ebay for a tenner.  Nice little earner.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 26, 2021, 11:18:43 AM
I've been doing this for a while.  Trolley for a quid, sell on ebay for a tenner.  Nice little earner.

Alright Bubbles?

Head Gardener

thugler

This is a good policy. I'm sick of seeing big families of unnecessary cunts wandering around.

kaprisky

Shopped at Sainsbury's earlier on. Can confirm that there was currently no queue to get into the store nor was there any enforcement of the 'shop alone' policy although recommendations to do so played out over the tannoy at various points.

The main problem is when queuing up at the checkout and people not leaving a gap after you have placed your shopping on the conveyor belt. Some of them want to pile on even though they are next in line anyway. The staff should police that a bit better.

Norton Canes

Also shopped at Sainsbury's earlier on. Can confirm that there was no queue to get into the store nor was there any enforcement of the 'shop alone' policy although recommendations to do so played out over the tannoy at various points. Also I was on my own so why would they speak to me anyway?

The main problem is they'd run out of panko breadcrumbs.