Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 22, 2021, 05:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Ferris

President of the Mariners saying the quiet part loud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBg8_44uDZ0

The labour negotiations are this year, so that'll be fun. Owners cheerfully admitting to manipulating service time, colluding with the rest of the league to underpay players as much as possible, and fuck over Joe public on the parking? Good luck.

Famous Mortimer

I'm absolutely delighted he said this - now the owners are going to have to give up more in the CBA, and it might prevent a strike or lockout.

Famous Mortimer

I was about to post the Jomboy Media clip, but FWB already did it. It's pretty wild.

Ferris

Yeah I like Jomboy - he gets why baseball is fun, and that is laughably rare within the business of MLB (which seems to largely revolve around money and acquiring more of it as quickly as possible).

He has a lot of clout these days so he's free to do his own thing without being beholden to anyone - the fact that's he's been able to waltz in and fill the media gap that MLB has neglected (podcasts, highlight videos, a funny Twitter/reddit presence etc) says a lot about the people at the top.

Crucially, his stuff is approachable and appeals to people who aren't already die hard baseball fans. With the sport struggling to attract a new generation of fans, its the kind of content that the clowns running MLB should be promoting (instead of threatening him with DMCAs).

End of rant.

sevendaughters

Foolish Baseball is a good youtube channel that has some access and clout. His is more analysis but done with a specific aesthetic of late 80s/early 90s gaming.

Ferris

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2021, 06:46:21 AM
Foolish Baseball is a good youtube channel that has some access and clout. His is more analysis but done with a specific aesthetic of late 80s/early 90s gaming.

Yeah another good shout.

El Unicornio, mang

Spring training games are back, baby!

All the games usually available daily in great quality (never have any issues like with football streams) here

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 01, 2021, 07:20:38 PM
Spring training games are back, baby!

All the games usually available daily in great quality (never have any issues like with football streams) here

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/
Agreed, it's kept me from having to pay for an MLB.tv (or cable) subscription for the last few years.

Ferris

Yeah I use it all the time. Used to pay $120 (~70 quid?) a year for MLB.tv but they're enforcing the blackout in Canada now, so it's entirely useless if you wanna see the good guys play. I'm trying to give these cunts money, but they're not interested.

To my earlier post...

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 25, 2021, 02:53:12 AM
With the sport struggling to attract a new generation of fans, its the kind of content that the clowns running MLB should be promoting (instead of threatening him with DMCAs).

Everyone my generation and younger streams, and nobody has cable anymore, but you aren't going to let me give you money for a subscription service to stream legally? This kind of backwards thinking is what is harming the future of the sport.

Sorry for the rants. I love baseball, and this kind of dinosaur mentality is very frustrating.

Famous Mortimer

The sad thing is, I don't think the people in charge care that much about the future of the sport.

Ferris

Looks like the O's have a knuckleballer at spring training! This is an incredible shot, worth your time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Orioles/status/1369290959301865479?s=19

El Unicornio, mang

Beautiful, never seen a shot of a knuckleball like that before, barely any rotation.

Generally liking these cinematic cameras they're using in sports these days every so often.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 09, 2021, 04:44:41 PM
Beautiful, never seen a shot of a knuckleball like that before, barely any rotation.

Generally liking these cinematic cameras they're using in sports these days every so often.

Yeah and me. Could watch someone throw knuckleballs for hours (and when RA Dickey was in Toronto, did).

Bernice

That's a great little video. Who's the pitcher?

Ferris

Quote from: Bernice on March 09, 2021, 08:02:32 PM
That's a great little video. Who's the pitcher?

Not a scooby. He's in the Orioles ST camp and there were no knuckleballers in the majors (in fact none since RA Dickey?) so assume it's a minor league prospect I've never heard of.

Ferris

Anyone else starting to get HYPE for this season? This is the first time the Jays have been good since the second half of 2015 - a wildcard should be the minimum this year, and winning the AL East is the target.

The Yankees are Vegas favourites for the division but I think it is close. I don't rate their position players any higher than the Jays (actually I think they are worse pretty much across the board), and while Cole is undeniably excellent the rest of their staff is solid but not overwhelming (particularly their gamble on a mid-30s Kluber - I don't know how his extreme precision stuff will play at Yankee Stadium). They are also relying on a lot of older players continuing to perform (Gardner, LaMahieu) and guys with extensive history of injuries (Judge, Stanton).

The O's and Red Sox are listless enterprises at the moment so we'll say no more there, and the Rays are doing a weird tear-down/rebuild (?) after getting to the World Series so who knows what they're up to. They won't be challenging for anything anyway[nb]doubtless I will be wrong about that...[/nb].

The Jays need pitching and have a deep farm (particularly for catchers and SPs which are premium trade chips, and a shitload of quality sort-of-MLB ready infielders) - I'm hoping they'll trade at the break and bring in one or two rotation arms. Ryu is an All Star if he stays healthy (and that's a big if), but Stripling, Matz and Ray are all question marks and that's assuming rookie Nate Pearson is able to perform at Major League level (and hes currently injured anyway). Roark shouldn't be pitching on a team that is trying to win - with his salary I don't even know if he's a trade piece tbh. There's a lot of depth in AAA (Woods-Richardson, Hatch, Kay, Thornton, Zeuch...) to cover any injuries or whatever but you (probably) can't rely on them for long stretches.

This is the start of the Blue Jays' competitive window. The kids are up, they're cheap and they're performing so there is money to spend to upgrade other pieces. I really hope the front office go for it. The position players are all in and signed for a few years at least - with 1 or two veteran starters and a reliever or two, they could be very good for a long time.

Gonna be a good year (until it isn't and I am inevitably disappointed).

Bernice

I've nearly finished watching all of Ken Burns' Baseball in preparation for this season, and have decided that, contrary to anything you think I may have posted earlier in this thread, I am (and always have been) a Mets fan. Been reading a shit ton of Athletic coverage of spring training and pre-season expectations and generally trying to burn reams of terminology and arcane numerology into my thick skull. Never really had such a gulf between my actual understanding of a sport and my enjoyment of/excitement about it. Can't wait.

Ferris

Quote from: Bernice on March 23, 2021, 02:32:19 PM
I've nearly finished watching all of Ken Burns' Baseball in preparation for this season, and have decided that, contrary to anything you think I may have posted earlier in this thread, I am (and always have been) a Mets fan. Been reading a shit ton of Athletic coverage of spring training and pre-season expectations and generally trying to burn reams of terminology and arcane numerology into my thick skull. Never really had such a gulf between my actual understanding of a sport and my enjoyment of/excitement about it. Can't wait.

With Lindor, the Mets are probably in the Wild Card race for sure. The NL East is tough this year - I think the Braves are my FerrisPickTM to win the division, but the Phillies and Mets are not far behind.

Looking at their depth chart, they have a similar set up to the Jays. A very good roster of position players, and several I think will have excellent seasons (Lindor, McNeil, Alonso, Nimmo) and the #1 DeGrom is a certified ace, but I have question marks over the rest of the starting pitching.

Stroman in particular I think will regress, he's a ground ball guy and his GB% was way down (and his LD% was worryingly up) for the Mets in 2019 before opting out of 2020. Lindor will help there, but there's only so much he can do. Shorter pitchers don't tend to age as well, even sinker/slider types like Stro. Walker was excellent for the Jays last season but looking at his advanced stats (particularly his FIP and oppBABIP), I don't know how much of that was just a serviceable starter having an incredible short season.

If you come across any terminology that is particularly arcane or doesn't make much sense, post it in here and I'll be happy to give an explainer if helpful? With the caveat that I'm not a baseball oracle or anything but have spent a fair bit of time diving into some of the weirder sabermetrics out there so might be able to give a decent explanation or comparison.

El Unicornio, mang

Likely to be a similar story to last year (Dodgers, Yankees) but I'm looking forward to a full season with fans.

Cubs back to being mediocre, like I always knew and loved them.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 23, 2021, 04:00:35 PM
Likely to be a similar story to last year (Dodgers, Yankees) but I'm looking forward to a full season with fans.

Cubs back to being mediocre, like I always knew and loved them.

Yeah I saw Darvish was traded for a song. Rizzo and Bryant are still there (I think?), but I heard a lot of chatter around Bryant for teams looking at upgrading their 3B so he might be gone at the trade deadline? Depends how borderline teams are doing I suppose.

El Unicornio, mang

Bryant has been quite inconsistent, batted .206 last season, a lot of calls for him to be traded so maybe. Rizzo underperformed a bit too but definitely someone we need to keep. Schwarber gone so that's going to be a big miss in the power department.

Ferris

I know fuck all about a lot of NL players, but looking at Kyle Schwarber he's the definition of replacement player no? 5.3 WAR over 5 seasons (excluding 2020).

Seems like he has good pop, but for a corner outfielder (is that where he is mostly? BBref has him as a catcher also which would be very valuable) it's not all that. Being traded to this incarnation of the Nats kind of reinforces that for me, but I really don't know the league or the team at all so would not be surprised if I'm totally wrong!

Again, I always had Bryant down as an elite bat/glove, but may well be out of date there and all.

El Unicornio, mang

Actually yeah, looking at Schwarber's stats he's really never been a great hitter, aside from getting a nice number of home runs each season. I recall he slotted nicely into the Cubs lineup and delivered when he needed to but maybe I overrated him.

Kris Bryant could definitely be one of the best in the league again, I mean he won the Rookie of the Year (2015), NL MVP (2016) and was integral to the Cubs winning the World Series, but definitely one whose initial promise has waned in the years following, partly due to shoulder injury. It's got to be hard to live up to what were basically perfect first two years in the majors though.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 24, 2021, 10:45:03 AM
Actually yeah, looking at Schwarber's stats he's really never been a great hitter, aside from getting a nice number of home runs each season. I recall he slotted nicely into the Cubs lineup and delivered when he needed to but maybe I overrated him.

Kris Bryant could definitely be one of the best in the league again, I mean he won the Rookie of the Year (2015), NL MVP (2016) and was integral to the Cubs winning the World Series, but definitely one whose initial promise has waned in the years following, partly due to shoulder injury. It's got to be hard to live up to what were basically perfect first two years in the majors though.

Yeah I definitely remember Schwarber being heavily mentioned in the coverage of the WS win along with Bryant and Rizzo and was a bit surprised his stats were so unflashy, maybe he was just a really nice guy or something.

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on February 05, 2021, 04:13:50 PM
...that is going to be one of the worst short-term contracts in the history of the game if he genuinely looking at $30-40 million per season as is being reported.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 05, 2021, 04:48:01 PM
Re: Bauer - he's pretty openly using pine tar, which is why he is far more elite in the last 2 seasons... the risk of the pine tar rules actually being enforced means he doesn't have as much value as if he was getting those numbers cleanly because he could be rumbled at any minute. See also: Gerrit Cole.

Ruh roh

This is why you should always rely on CaB for your hot baseball takes.

Famous Mortimer

And there's still the people saying "but more batters will get hit now!" in the comments. If you believe there's been more sticky substance usage in the last few years, you'd also assume hit batters had gone down, but that's not the case. I presume the talking heads on the MLB Network will neglect to mention this too.

sevendaughters

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 23, 2021, 06:50:48 PM
Bryant has been quite inconsistent, batted .206 last season, a lot of calls for him to be traded so maybe. Rizzo underperformed a bit too but definitely someone we need to keep. Schwarber gone so that's going to be a big miss in the power department.

only over 34 games though. his career OPS is super.

El Unicornio, mang

True, and I'd like to keep him. But with his contract ending after this season it will also depend on how well the Cubs do whether or not he stays. The White Sox are apparently interested.