Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 22, 2021, 05:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 09, 2021, 07:20:45 PM
My workplace has a Div 3 baseball team, and they're apparently doing rather well at the moment. I found out that they actually stream games with commentary, but rather delightfully the broadcast is a slightly muffled commentary over a standard-definition webcam placed behind the plate. There's a game happening right now, and there was just what seemed to be a pretty exciting play at 2nd completely obscured by the catcher and ump.

Re: MLB, though, it looks like they're already investigating Bauer for using foreign substances. Good.

He's always to bamlem.

Famous Mortimer

Jomboy once again brings the fun analysis of the latest event featuring the Cardinals, where a reliever hit Bryce Harper in the face with his first pitch, hits Gregorius in the ribs with his second, then gives up the go-ahead hit with his third before being pulled from the game.

Lot of people blaming the three-pitcher minimum but the umps should do their damn job and eject the guy. I don't think there's any particular reason the Phillies and Cardinals hate each other, but if a guy has so little control, get him the hell out of there.

Ferris

2 HBPs on two pitches in a row should be an auto ejection. It might not be intentional, but it is dangerous.

In other NL news:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paaFLpJg79o

Famous Mortimer

I love that Rizzo keeps shaking off the catcher too. 71mph heater!

dr beat

I was watching an episode of Frasier the other night where he gets roped into playing softball. Theres a scene where him and Martin go to one of those places where people practice their batting with coin-op machines doing the pitching. I've seen these in other films and TV and an slightly fascinated by them. Are they common in North America? They look quite good fun.

Ferris

Quote from: dr beat on May 01, 2021, 05:38:19 PM
I was watching an episode of Frasier the other night where he gets roped into playing softball. Theres a scene where him and Martin go to one of those places where people practice their batting with coin-op machines doing the pitching. I've seen these in other films and TV and an slightly fascinated by them. Are they common in North America? They look quite good fun.

They look tremendous fun, but for some reason aren't very common in Canada. Toronto (pop ~6m, home of Canada's only Major League Baseball team) had 2, I think there's only one in Nova Scotia total.

Might be more common in the states (depending on region)? I bet California and Nevada are rife with them for example because baseball is a bigger sport out there.

It's one of those things I secretly reckon I'd be amazing at ("Hal get over here, we gotta sign this kid man!) and until I go to one I'll never have that dream dispelled.

Dex Sawash

Lots of batting cages here. Google shows more than 10 within 20 miles of my house. There will prob be a few more than that since places that have go karts or mini golf often have one or two cages as an afterthought.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 01, 2021, 07:58:57 PM
Lots of batting cages here. Google shows more than 10 within 20 miles of my house. There will prob be a few more than that since places that have go karts or mini golf often have one or two cages as an afterthought.

Jammy bastard. I'd be at them every Friday night after too many ales at the crazy golf.

Famous Mortimer

There's loads of them round here too.

Brilliant stretch for the Cardinals. Outfielders have started to hit, pitchers are looking like world-beaters.

Pranet

This is probably old or uninteresting news to you aficionados, but I've just noticed youtube is showing a game a week.

Quite good for me who has vague memories of watching it on Channel 5 in the 90s but can't be arsed finding hooky streams really.

Braves v Nationals right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6n8NAJQKao

Ferris

Quote from: Pranet on May 06, 2021, 09:13:33 PM
This is probably old or uninteresting news to you aficionados, but I've just noticed youtube is showing a game a week.

Quite good for me who has vague memories of watching it on Channel 5 in the 90s but can't be arsed finding hooky streams really.

Jon Lester is still pitching?!

El Unicornio, mang

Seems like he's been around for ever but he's only 37. Jamie Moyer was 49 and still pitching in the modern era!

Famous Mortimer

Albert Pujols, former Cardinal and future inner-circle Hall of Famer, has been DFA'ed by the Angels in the last year of his contract - as soon as he passes waivers, he'll be released. He's probably a few years older than his listed 41 and isn't really able to run any more, but from 2001-2011 he was better than anyone (well, maybe not Bonds, but it was close). 3000 hits, 600 home runs, etc.

A lot of Cardinals are hoping to tempt him back for a farewell tour, but I think the idea of having their greatest player in 60 years back is nicer than the reality of a guy who, were it not for his contract, would have been out of baseball a couple of years ago. Perhaps they'll give him a one-day contract on the final day of the season, have him stand on 1st for an inning (or have a friendly opposing pitcher groove him one down the middle), have a huge standing ovation, and that be it.

Or perhaps his old manager Tony La Russa will hire him for the White Sox, who are short a first baseman due to injuries. Who knows?

The two halves of Pujols's career and his contract with the Angels are hilarious.

St. Louis, 2001-2011: 1705 G, 7433 PA, .430 wOBA, +81.3 fWAR!
Los Angeles, 2012-2021: 1181 G, 5053 PA, .322 wOBA, +5.7 fWAR, $240,000,000

Ferris

The rumour is he's about 4 years older than he claimed in order to get a major league contract (and everyone sort of knows it, which is why a lot of teams passed on him even though he was raking).

The angels must have know they were paying for a guy past his prime even as he was signing that contract.

Famous Mortimer

I only saw Pujols live once, in a loss to the Braves in 2009, but the sheer force of the noise from the crowd every time he came to the plate was incredible.

Ferris

I saw him and Trout when the angels were in Toronto probably... 4/5 years ago? I remember explaining why Mike trout was a big deal to a friend from the UK, and nothing about Pujols at all. Pathetic anecdote.

dr beat

Quote from: Pranet on May 06, 2021, 09:13:33 PM

Thanks for flagging this up. Is there anywhere which has details for which games will feature and when? I've tried googling but all I get is the schedule for games which have already happened.

Ferris

Quote from: dr beat on May 09, 2021, 06:39:24 PM
Thanks for flagging this up. Is there anywhere which has details for which games will feature and when? I've tried googling but all I get is the schedule for games which have already happened.

I think it's these ones?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL-lmlkrmJanAeIIfwSpaB-HpDYmW6-rF

El Unicornio, mang

Loving the mother's day attire today. Not loving the Cubs getting spanked by the Pirates

dr beat

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 09, 2021, 07:01:58 PM
I think it's these ones?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL-lmlkrmJanAeIIfwSpaB-HpDYmW6-rF

Thanks! By my reckoning they all look like they are starting at reasonable times in the evening UK time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 09, 2021, 07:41:33 PM
Loving the mother's day attire today. Not loving the Cubs getting spanked by the Pirates

gender normative bullshit

BlodwynPig

I saw Blue Jays are limping along - 7-4 loss to Astros

In the score sheet it has entries of - and x. I assume x is a base loaded 4 runs, but what is - ?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 10, 2021, 08:12:19 AM
I saw Blue Jays are limping along - 7-4 loss to Astros

In the score sheet it has entries of - and x. I assume x is a base loaded 4 runs, but what is - ?

Base empty usually, so that's runners on 2nd and 3rd.

X
  /   \
X      -
  \   /

I might have misunderstood what you meant though, if you can send me a look I'll try and decipher it.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 10, 2021, 08:09:02 AM
gender normative bullshit

The proceeds all go to breast cancer so I can't say it's a bad thing

Dex Sawash

Listened to the baseball on the car radio this weekend. Was only a 20 minute trip, 2 strike outs and a pitcher change.

Ferris

Probably the Rays? They had leaked research a few years about making pitchers wait as long as possible in between pitches. Something like every 4 second delay lead to an increase of .3 mph on their fastball.

Could just be a bad offensive team though.

Dex Sawash

Durham Bulls, don't know any names and I didn't even absorb which team was batting. Really great radio, play by play man drops an ad for a plumbing company in at a break in the action.

Ferris

Yeah I find it massively relaxing just to have on in the background. Impressed you get minor league games on the radio!

I'm so excited to get to a game in Toronto but probably won't be until this time 2022 which is a bit depressing. Maybe I'll bring the nipper!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 10, 2021, 10:16:57 AM
Base empty usually, so that's runners on 2nd and 3rd.

X
  /   \
X      -
  \   /

I might have misunderstood what you meant though, if you can send me a look I'll try and decipher it.

It's alright, they've changed it, - became 4, so the x is just no inning batted (in the 9th when the Astros had already won)...not sure why the - was there

(Baseball scorecards on google)