Author Topic: Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care  (Read 3144 times)

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
Re: Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
My workplace has a Div 3 baseball team, and they're apparently doing rather well at the moment. I found out that they actually stream games with commentary, but rather delightfully the broadcast is a slightly muffled commentary over a standard-definition webcam placed behind the plate. There's a game happening right now, and there was just what seemed to be a pretty exciting play at 2nd completely obscured by the catcher and ump.

Re: MLB, though, it looks like they're already investigating Bauer for using foreign substances. Good.

He's always to bamlem.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »
Jomboy once again brings the fun analysis of the latest event featuring the Cardinals, where a reliever hit Bryce Harper in the face with his first pitch, hits Gregorius in the ribs with his second, then gives up the go-ahead hit with his third before being pulled from the game.

Lot of people blaming the three-pitcher minimum but the umps should do their damn job and eject the guy. I don't think there's any particular reason the Phillies and Cardinals hate each other, but if a guy has so little control, get him the hell out of there.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2021, 05:17:10 PM »
2 HBPs on two pitches in a row should be an auto ejection. It might not be intentional, but it is dangerous.

In other NL news:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paaFLpJg79o

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
I love that Rizzo keeps shaking off the catcher too. 71mph heater!

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2021, 05:38:19 PM »
I was watching an episode of Frasier the other night where he gets roped into playing softball. Theres a scene where him and Martin go to one of those places where people practice their batting with coin-op machines doing the pitching. I've seen these in other films and TV and an slightly fascinated by them. Are they common in North America? They look quite good fun.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »
I was watching an episode of Frasier the other night where he gets roped into playing softball. Theres a scene where him and Martin go to one of those places where people practice their batting with coin-op machines doing the pitching. I've seen these in other films and TV and an slightly fascinated by them. Are they common in North America? They look quite good fun.

They look tremendous fun, but for some reason aren’t very common in Canada. Toronto (pop ~6m, home of Canada’s only Major League Baseball team) had 2, I think there’s only one in Nova Scotia total.

Might be more common in the states (depending on region)? I bet California and Nevada are rife with them for example because baseball is a bigger sport out there.

It’s one of those things I secretly reckon I’d be amazing at (“Hal get over here, we gotta sign this kid man!) and until I go to one I’ll never have that dream dispelled.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
Lots of batting cages here. Google shows more than 10 within 20 miles of my house. There will prob be a few more than that since places that have go karts or mini golf often have one or two cages as an afterthought.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2021, 08:25:21 PM »
Lots of batting cages here. Google shows more than 10 within 20 miles of my house. There will prob be a few more than that since places that have go karts or mini golf often have one or two cages as an afterthought.

Jammy bastard. I’d be at them every Friday night after too many ales at the crazy golf.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2021, 03:58:50 AM »
There's loads of them round here too.

Brilliant stretch for the Cardinals. Outfielders have started to hit, pitchers are looking like world-beaters.

« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2021, 09:13:33 PM »
This is probably old or uninteresting news to you aficionados, but I've just noticed youtube is showing a game a week.

Quite good for me who has vague memories of watching it on Channel 5 in the 90s but can't be arsed finding hooky streams really.

Braves v Nationals right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6n8NAJQKao

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2021, 09:24:45 PM »
This is probably old or uninteresting news to you aficionados, but I've just noticed youtube is showing a game a week.

Quite good for me who has vague memories of watching it on Channel 5 in the 90s but can't be arsed finding hooky streams really.

Braves v Nationals right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6n8NAJQKao

Jon Lester is still pitching?!

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2021, 09:44:45 PM »
Seems like he's been around for ever but he's only 37. Jamie Moyer was 49 and still pitching in the modern era!

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #102 on: Yesterday at 06:19:57 PM »
Albert Pujols, former Cardinal and future inner-circle Hall of Famer, has been DFA'ed by the Angels in the last year of his contract - as soon as he passes waivers, he'll be released. He's probably a few years older than his listed 41 and isn't really able to run any more, but from 2001-2011 he was better than anyone (well, maybe not Bonds, but it was close). 3000 hits, 600 home runs, etc.

A lot of Cardinals are hoping to tempt him back for a farewell tour, but I think the idea of having their greatest player in 60 years back is nicer than the reality of a guy who, were it not for his contract, would have been out of baseball a couple of years ago. Perhaps they'll give him a one-day contract on the final day of the season, have him stand on 1st for an inning (or have a friendly opposing pitcher groove him one down the middle), have a huge standing ovation, and that be it.

Or perhaps his old manager Tony La Russa will hire him for the White Sox, who are short a first baseman due to injuries. Who knows?

« Reply #103 on: Today at 12:52:00 AM »
The two halves of Pujols's career and his contract with the Angels are hilarious.

St. Louis, 2001-2011: 1705 G, 7433 PA, .430 wOBA, +81.3 fWAR!
Los Angeles, 2012-2021: 1181 G, 5053 PA, .322 wOBA, +5.7 fWAR, $240,000,000

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: Today at 01:38:43 AM »
The rumour is he’s about 4 years older than he claimed in order to get a major league contract (and everyone sort of knows it, which is why a lot of teams passed on him even though he was raking).

The angels must have know they were paying for a guy past his prime even as he was signing that contract.

Tags: