Author Topic: Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care  (Read 9338 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Re: Baseball 2021 - we defy you to care
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2021, 01:16:55 AM »
Good news for Orioles fans is tickets must be $0 now.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2021, 02:07:43 AM »
I think they’ll need to start paying people to show up at this rate. They stink out loud.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2021, 03:40:29 AM »
Amazingly, the Cardinals have become world-beaters since I last posted, winning 9 in a row and almost locking up the second wild card spot. Trevor Plouffe, who now works for Jomboy Media doing really insightful breakdowns of crucial plays, did one on a Cardinals double play in the 10th, against the Mets. While it certainly helps that it's my team being talked about, Plouffe is just really interesting to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQBXxE3zYI

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:22 AM »
Orioles at home all week to close out, loads of availability but cheapest is for the midweek games (ie. today/tomorrow) against the Rangers, $15. Bet if you live locally you can probably get a freebie, sports events are always papering crowds. I got two freebies for MLS when I was in California.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
Amazingly, the Cardinals have become world-beaters since I last posted, winning 9 in a row and almost locking up the second wild card spot. Trevor Plouffe, who now works for Jomboy Media doing really insightful breakdowns of crucial plays, did one on a Cardinals double play in the 10th, against the Mets. While it certainly helps that it's my team being talked about, Plouffe is just really interesting to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQBXxE3zYI

And despite being on track for 90+ wins and Guerrero Jr leading the league in hits, runs, home runs, batting average, on base percentage, OPS (& OPS+), and oWAR, he is unlikely to win MVP and the Jays are 50/50 to even make the post season.

Life is not fair.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
sevendaughters, that seems weird. The Cardinals are offering great swathes of their stadium at $10 a ticket for the last week of the season, and that includes the Cubs, who admittedly aren't very good this year but the rivalry / hatred usually does well for ticket sales. Perhaps they just want to get people in the door so it looks good on the telly, whereas the Orioles don't care either way.

The Cardinals are up to 10 in a row now, which is their best run of wins in nearly 20 years. This team! Although it's one of those things, where you look at it and see that Arenado and O'Neill are having great years despite not having any flashy hitting numbers; and their defence is best in the majors by quite a distance. At least Blue Jays fans get to see one of the best players in the world doing his thing? Honestly, watching Cardinals games this year has occasionally felt like a chore.

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2021, 07:23:16 PM »
I think they’ll need to start paying people to show up at this rate. They stink out loud.

Lifelong Orioles fan here: sigh...and I remember the heady days of the start of the 1988 season.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2021, 08:03:57 PM »
Lifelong Orioles fan here: sigh...and I remember the heady days of the start of the 1988 season.

They’ll get a few decent draft picks for this abject season, and their farm is supposed to be very good so I don’t think they’ll be terrible for much longer?

Another year or two and the Red Sox rebuild will be under way, the Yankees will run out of steam with the overpaid vets they have. The O’s will be running headlong into the Jays’ competitive window but if they’re good enough a wildcard spot will be theirs for the taking (maybe).

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »
Mocking the title of the thread, last night's game had one of those wild endings that will hopefully make a great Jomboy breakdown.

Cardinals - Cubs, bottom of the 9th. An "infield fly" was called, and the umpire at 2nd didn't understand the rule very well, calling a runner out as if it was a force play, then calling the ball dead while things were still happening. Fuck-up after fuck-up, and the umpires were asked to explain the rule after the end of the game, to which they replied "no comment". Ah, to be completely free from consequence!

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »
Ah well, the Cardinals made it to the Wild Card game but were unable to do much against the Dodgers, and are out. Still, that last month was a lot of fun to watch.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »
Jays the best 4th placed team in the history of baseball, but 4th doesn’t get you into the post season so we’re done until 2022.

Cool.

« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »
bring that team back next year a decent bullpen and Ryu gaining some control and they win 100

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
Moderately interesting news - out of nowhere, the same day that a playoff game is happening, the Cardinals have fired their manager, Mike Shildt. A "philosophical difference", apparently, and I look forward to more news coming out about this, the Cardinals hiring some other boring guy from inside their org, etc.

« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »
Atrocious umpire call on a blatant check swing ends it for the Giants (although statistically they'd have likely gone out anyway). Not even close.

I like the Dodgers enough though, and can't stand the three other teams left in so hoping they retain the title.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2021, 10:51:11 AM »
Horrible way to end it, but calls in the 9th are always fucking brutal.

I can think of a few where the Jays were just cheated out of a fair chance because the umps are lazy fucks who want to go home. We win 2 of those, we’re in the post season. Robot umps will fix those, but there’s no definition of what constitutes a checked swing in the rules, so you can’t review it or even objectively say if it was or not.

Personally I think something should be added about the bat head crossing home plate - if it goes past, it’s a swinging strike and if not it’s a checked swing. That makes sense, and you can use overhead cameras to say “yes that was the right call” or not even if you can’t review it on the field. Right now, it is entirely umpire discretion and they face no repercussions for being terrible and lazy so even a huge call like this can be tossed off and they can piss off home.

Tags: