Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tomahawk - release "Business Casual" (and new album coming soon)

Started by McFlymo, January 22, 2021, 06:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

Seeing as Miguel will never finish (or start?) that all-electronic Fantomas album, it's all on FNM now. I'm guessing they must have been ready to drop new material pre-lockdown. I know there was nothing announced, but i can't see them agreeing to another long tour playing the same old set without something new.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 16, 2021, 03:39:41 PM
Seeing as Miguel will never finish (or start?) that all-electronic Fantomas album, it's all on FNM now. I'm guessing they must have been ready to drop new material pre-lockdown. I know there was nothing announced, but i can't see them agreeing to another long tour playing the same old set without something new.
They had done that between their comeback and Sol Invictus coming out.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 16, 2021, 05:51:00 PM
They had done that between their comeback and Sol Invictus coming out.
Well, not exactly. They were working on SI for years which is why Matador turned up in their set from 2011. The official biography also ends with them rehearsing new stuff.

Quote from: Goldentony
id just do nu metal cruises at this point
They had a tour planned with Korn last year. Fucking Korn!

Goldentony

Maybe he's just genuinely lost the plot in a PJ Proby type of way, he had Insane Clown Posse hair the last time I checked

The Mollusk

Patton looks like he should be playing bass for KoRn nowadays anyway

McFlymo

The Mollusk

Shaky

Horrible bland production as well. Totally flattens the whole thing.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Shaky on February 27, 2021, 10:05:36 AM
You weren't exaggerating. It's astonishingly blunt.

PlanktonSideburns

fairplay, patton is gathering lots of great musicians to make some really uninspiring projects at the moment

would usually be pumped to hear what stainer and lombardo were upto

The Mollusk

Bottom line is these cunts are too old now, get em on the scrap heap, listen to younger bands instead. I fully don't believe (or rather care enough to become fully invested) that Patton is capable of creating another great work now. He's done nowt I give a fuck about for years

PlanktonSideburns

some old cunts be good tho: nick cave still smashing it, hermeto pascoal seems to have been 70 years old since 1965

PlanktonSideburns

Dirty Boy

Sad to say, the new Melvins isn't much cop either[nb]although i gather it was somewhat thrown together after Dale injured his back (Mike Dillard plays drums)[/nb]

chveik

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 27, 2021, 05:52:24 PM
Sad to say, the new Melvins isn't much cop either[nb]although i gather it was somewhat thrown together after Dale injured his back (Mike Dillard plays drums)[/nb]

Melvins without Dale is like shagging without a big fat rager of an orgasm, so won%u2019t be listening to that

Gregory Torso

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 27, 2021, 03:31:19 PM
Bottom line is these cunts are too old now, get em on the scrap heap, listen to younger bands instead. I fully don't believe (or rather care enough to become fully invested) that Patton is capable of creating another great work now. He's done nowt I give a fuck about for years

Agreed. melvins have been shite for ages and Patton can fuck off with his Yamatsuka Eye rip-off yackety vox and edgy racist dabblins. jesus what with this and all those fucking threads about mogwai I feel like it's fucking 1998 ahgain

Dirty Boy

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 27, 2021, 06:57:25 PM
Melvins without Dale is like shagging without a big fat rager of an orgasm, so won't be listening to that
Dale plays bass on this as he does on Tres Cabrones which is really rather good (Dillard was the orignal drummer for the Melvins - hence Melvins 1983).

Quote from: Gregory Torsomelvins have been shite for ages
Heretic! A Walk With Love And Death and Basses Loaded were both great and they've remained a storming live band.

Admittedly, Stag is still best...

Gregory Torso

Honestly though, fantastic as they were, last record I really liked by Melvins was The Crybaby and that was from 2000

The Mollusk

I thought "Hold It In" with the two Buttholes guys was very good, sounded like a really solid blend of their two classic sounds. Think that might have been the last new one I listened to.

Also,

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 27, 2021, 08:19:36 PM
Hostile Ambient Takeover wants a word.

This, "A Senile Animal" (with Big Business, double drums yeeehhhh) and "Pigs of the Roman Empire" (with Lustmord) are all excellent.

McFlymo

Now that I'm so (unavoidably) consumed with their alt right baiting and general trolling I can only see this Dog Eat Dog song through the lens of, "Yeah kid, that's how it is. In the end, it's dog eat dog, so stop all your bitching. You either kill or be killed!" It's quite embarrassing.

"We are Tomahawk and we approve this message".

Sigh.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Shaky on February 27, 2021, 10:05:36 AM

The bass is really boomy, and the drums sound tiny and over-compressed. Very odd. The production on the first two albums was incredible.

I recently listened to an interview with ex-bassist Kevin Rutmanis - It sounded like there was a rift between Rutmanis and Denison regarding 'musicianship' and technical accuracy. I think this conflict possibly contributed towards how good the first two albums were. They've since become more clinical and lost that scuzzy Americana vibe since Kevin's departure.

lankyguy95

This is out tomorrow. Getting pretty great reviews across the board in the metal press.

lankyguy95

Yeah I don't like this. Like a watered down impression of the first record (pretty literally at times - listen to Flashback then Fatback on the new album). None of the menace, bite or colour. Not even close.

To me, it's similar to the difference between Relationship Of Command and whatever ATDI's comeback record was called.

Eureka was the only moment that freshened it up for me.