Author Topic: Things that bits of Morris' work were possibly based on  (Read 4209 times)

the

Things that bits of Morris' work were possibly based on
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:21:09 AM »
Watched the first edition of Carlton's London Tonight earlier - surely this traffic segment is a direct inspiration for Valerie Sinatra in her travel pod?

"innovations"

(The programme itself, though not very TDT-like, is fucking horrible. They've obviously watched American news and decided that exciting news equals amped-up SHOUTING and shitting people up into feeling they're in imminent danger from everything. Nice juxtaposition too between the report on women being attacked in their own cars and Jono Coleman haranguing people into trying to get off with each other on the tube.)

Also mentioned this a while back - the voice of Brian Barron reporting on the Gulf War:

"an aerial juggernaut that could well grow heavier in the next 48 hours"

His pompous faux-despairing delivery must surely be the basis of Eugene Fraxby.

Found any more?

Thomas

• please describe an encounter with a squirrel
Re: Things that bits of Morris' work were possibly based on
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:22:01 PM »
I've posted it a couple of times, but this 1985 BBC news report on the 'moving statue of Ballinspittle' is certainly the inspiration for the 'driving Mary of Ballakreen'.

Quote from: Ballinspittle
It's off the beaten track, not in the tourist guides, unremarkable in every way.

But for that, Ballakreen wouldn't bother a single map. Or a guidebook. There's only one entry, and it's less than an inch long.

In fact, rewatching them now, I've just spotted that footage from the original report is used to depict Ballakreen.

I encourage you to watch the full Ballinspittle report - but especially the final minute, where the reporter sounds almost exactly like Chris Morris when questioning the statue maker.

'And did [the statue] move while you were making it?'

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:16:51 PM »
That's amazing. The priest really is like Father Stone, maybe mixed with some other Ted characters.

dex

• Maybe, but there again maybe not.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
Was watching some episodes of World In Action on YouTube earlier -Morris definitely ripped off the image from the opening credits where the multiple limbs extend from the body in BrassEye.

An tSaoi

• The Prodigal Cunt
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »
I suspect the TV show Jam was strongly influenced by a BBC 1 radio comedy called Blue Jam.

fuck it post lol

Retinend

• Golden Member
  • gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
    • I AM A CUCK (documentary)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 05:55:14 PM »
This is the "Urtext" for the pedophile special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDJMTuA5fvE
BBC Panorama on Sidney Cooke
123,910 views•Mar 1, 2013

Televised April 1998, according to the uploader.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 07:45:07 PM »

Indomitable Spirit

• God's final tantrum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 09:39:48 PM »
This is the "Urtext" for the pedophile special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDJMTuA5fvE
BBC Panorama on Sidney Cooke
123,910 views•Mar 1, 2013

Televised April 1998, according to the uploader.

While I'm sure this would have been on Morris' radar at the time, wasn't there a Dispatches broadcast around the same year that was the main influence for BES?

It's never appeared on Youtube to my knowledge, but it apparently is very similarly formatted to the special - "LIVE" in studio presentation and horror movie-esque reconstructions with scary music played over the top. There's also a scene of a victim recounting his abuse through a stuffed animal which became the basis of weird bit from BES with sister dressed as troll doll (which makes absolutely no sense without that bit of context).

Retinend

• Golden Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
Oh I didn’t realize. Well, this has the feel of that lost programme, at least.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
While I'm sure this would have been on Morris' radar at the time, wasn't there a Dispatches broadcast around the same year that was the main influence for BES?

It's never appeared on Youtube to my knowledge, but it apparently is very similarly formatted to the special - "LIVE" in studio presentation and horror movie-esque reconstructions with scary music played over the top. There's also a scene of a victim recounting his abuse through a stuffed animal which became the basis of weird bit from BES with sister dressed as troll doll (which makes absolutely no sense without that bit of context).
This one, presumably? (I haven't actually felt inclined to watch properly it yet): https://licensing.screenocean.com/record/113388
Brass Eye is on there too (well, not the BES yet), which isn't especially interesting except for the last show which has an edit suite clock thingy at the start, if you happen to like that sort of thing : https://licensing.screenocean.com/record/127472
oh, and something seems to have gone very awry with show 5: https://licensing.screenocean.com/record/127469

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »
Further to the above, there's also this Dispatches that was probably an influence: https://licensing.screenocean.com/record/110356

Aside from all this grim stuff, there is a load of Channel 4 material on that site, it's well worth having a good look round.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
It's been years since I watched the Brass Eye Special. Was there a bit with a paedophile living in a caravan and was that based on the Dispatches?

We should rewatch the Brass Eye Special.

Retinend

• Golden Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »
Further to the above, there's also this Dispatches that was probably an influence: https://licensing.screenocean.com/record/110356

Aside from all this grim stuff, there is a load of Channel 4 material on that site, it's well worth having a good look round.

Wow! Interesting site. Very watchable in spite of the watermark.

I'm not sure if this show is all as distasteful as it's post-Brass Eye reputation... but I think that sensationalism was the real satirical target, and this program was simply a spark of inspiration. And, by attacking such a sacred cow, also an affront to the self-righteousness of the news media in the most direct manner possible to a TV satirist.

Tags: