Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The George Lucas Talk Show

Started by dr_christian_troy, January 23, 2021, 09:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

The Ford vs Febrrari charity marathon starts at 3.30pm GMT...

Unlike previous marathon shows, there isn't a watch-along as such, more so the guarantee of 12 hours+ of the show, in which they'll be talking to various special guests who have appeared with Harrison Ford in films raising money for Wings of Hope. Rumour has it they're trying to get Harrison to come by too.

https://www.twitch.tv/planetscumlive

dr_christian_troy

Tim Rose is currently on (via audio), talkin' puppets. Lovely stuff.

Dusty Substance

Having ploughed through 60+ hours of TGLTS, I reached the very funny LucasLynch watch-a-long marathon stream (I had a vague memory of On The Air from around the time it was on but assumed it was just a one episode pilot).

I've now gone back to watch the 30 hour, 14 movie Star Wars watch-a-long.

In doing so, I've accidentally honoured the way the Star Wars trilogies were released - Middle, Beginning then End.

Dusty Substance

Just finished the Rogue One watch-along (the fifth in the fourteen film marathon) and it's been an extraordinary experience. Ten hours in, twenty to go, and they're giddy with tiredness, but Connor is committed to the comedy and remains in character, even as he clearly begins to fall asleep and is only kept awake by Watto's suggestion by reciting the alphabet backwards, all the while Darth Vader is massacring rebel soldiers in the climax of Rogue One.

Now onto Star Wars: A New Hope episode iv

stonkers

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 23, 2021, 09:12:17 PM
Just finished the Rogue One watch-along (the fifth in the fourteen film marathon) and it's been an extraordinary experience. Ten hours in, twenty to go, and they're giddy with tiredness, but Connor is committed to the comedy and remains in character, even as he clearly begins to fall asleep and is only kept awake by Watto's suggestion by reciting the alphabet backwards, all the while Darth Vader is massacring rebel soldiers in the climax of Rogue One.

Now onto Star Wars: A New Hope episode iv

The couple of epsiodes of Blank Check that George appears on are well worth a listen*, one's a live Revenge of the Sith Commentary.

*All Blank Check episodes are worth a listen but those are good if you're already a fan of TGLTS

Dusty Substance

Thank you! I will 100% check out Blank Check. Griffin Newman is a joy.

The GLTS crew are the guests on the latest Double Threat podcast. In all honesty, it's a bit hard work with six voices trying to be heard on one podcast, but it's one for completists.

I've had to pause the Star Wars watch-a-long. Got as far as ROTJ and a combination of tech issues and sheer tiredness (them, not me) made it for a less than enjoyable experience.

This dedication to mind-numbingly long talking about children's entertainment properties by Griffin Newman makes one suspect you might be interested in

two hours of him talking about why The Muppet Movie rules

two hrs twenty of him talking about why Muppets From Space sucks

two hours forty of him talking about the MuppetVision3D immersive video/Disneyland ride, and related topics, including blowing the lid on a wild scam the post-Henson performer of Kermit used to pull before he was deposed

or three hours twelve of him and Black Check regular JD Amato competitively ranking the feature directorial career of Jim Henson

dr_christian_troy

Rachel Zegler was great last night! A couple of her family members were in the chat and it was very nice to see that they were pleasantly surprised how friendly everyone was.

The only downside is that my Mondays are a proper comedown full of anxiety for the day. I'm very grateful to have the show as my weekly highlight though.

Dyl Spinks

I've watched a few of these over the last week or three, and loving it. I like it best when they stick to Star Wars. I watched/listened to the Attack of the Clones watch-through and laughed quite a bit last night.

Kevin Smith was the first one I checked out.

Thanks for the recommendations. It's kind of addictive. Certainly helps if you have a good level of Star Wars knowledge and of Lucas's chat/opinions/interviews over the years.

dr_christian_troy

It's joyous isn't it? The only downside for me personally is that it's the highlight of my week and yet with a 1am GMT start time (unless it's a marathon event), I end up having to go to bed before the show ends as I've got work at 9am.

dr_christian_troy

Also, I've now confirmed two guests for a forthcoming podcast, both Planet Scum / GLTS-related...very exciting!

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 09, 2021, 11:09:27 AM
Also, I've now confirmed two guests for a forthcoming podcast, both Planet Scum / GLTS-related...very exciting!

Wonderful news! Good work DCT.

Hope you honour the GLTS by making the podcast *at least* an Irishman plus.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 09, 2021, 03:45:07 PM
Wonderful news! Good work DCT.

Hope you honour the GLTS by making the podcast *at least* an Irishman plus.

If they have time I definitely will! At the moment it looks like one guest and I will be discussing a Carson episode in which Kermit was the host (I hope the guest aPatrickreciates the research I'll be putting into it) and the other guest is yet to confirm which show they would like to talk about, although thankfully I know that they Geth the idea of the format either way. For the Kermit episode it looks like we may have an additional guest joining, although I Connor say right now for certain.

*dances in joy*

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 09, 2021, 03:57:42 PM
If they have time I definitely will! At the moment it looks like one guest and I will be discussing a Carson episode in which Kermit was the host (I hope the guest aPatrickreciates the research I'll be putting into it) and the other guest is yet to confirm which show they would like to talk about, although thankfully I know that they Geth the idea of the format either way. For the Kermit episode it looks like we may have an additional guest joining, although I Connor say right now for certain.

Say no more!

I've very much been enjoying the Breeeyyyaatt vs. Patrick rivalry on Twitter and Double Threat.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 09, 2021, 04:02:43 PM
Say no more!

I've very much been enjoying the Breeeyyyaatt vs. Patrick rivalry on Twitter and Double Threat.

The Double Threat episode with all of the GLTS team on there was wonderful. They have teased video clips of the episode on social media - I'm surprised complete video episodes of DT aren't available somewhere, unless they have a Patreon which I can't find (and I've looked!). The Patreon for You Are The Man Now Dog and the paid site for Big Grande includes video episodes and for reasons I couldn't explain, they genuinely add something to the content.

dr_christian_troy

The show last night was one of the best - it was the Bumpers special and gradually descended into chaos - featuring several regular guest favourites too.

Dusty Substance

Spent the last couple of weeks binge listening to the Star Wars episodes of Blank Check and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. I love the idea of analysing the prequels as their own thing, without ever mentioning or even acknowledging the original films.

Couldn't listen to the Holiday Special episode though, partly because the Holiday Special is truly terrible but mostly because the guest - someone who was introduced as a pop culture writer - HAD NEVER SEEN ANY OF THE STAR WARS FILMS BEFORE. I was stunned to hear that. Nearly put my foot through my podcast app and then sent the bill to Griffin Newman.

stonkers

Griffin, Connor and Patrick were on the Star Wars Minute podcast all this week, worth checking out.

dr_christian_troy

They were also on Mary Houlihan's Painting Party this week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEl-cI08RiY&feature=youtu.be - Mary went to bed and the guys took over the show, making it the longest episode of Painting Party so far. It was a delight to interact with the guys out character, learning more about Connor's interest in illustrators such as Tony Millionaire, Chris Ware and Daniel Clowes for example.

...and they are on Paul Scheer's Unspooled show tonight! https://www.twitch.tv/friendzone

dr_christian_troy

The show is now on hiatus.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on April 11, 2021, 02:26:53 PM
The show is now on hiatus.

A shame, but the team deserves a break after the amount of content they've put out over the last year.

Neomod

Semi related but I've really enjoyed Connor Ratcliff's Dead Eyes podcast, binging on both seasons this week.

I've never heard the GLTS as I'm a bit adverse to Griffin Newman.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Neomod on April 11, 2021, 08:24:49 PM
Semi related but I've really enjoyed Connor Ratcliff's Dead Eyes podcast, binging on both seasons this week.

It's fucking great, isn't it?!

A fascinating story, really hope there's a third season with the inevitable finale.

dr_christian_troy

I've been adoring the 12 Hour Day podcast recently too - each episode is not too surprisingly 12 hours long, with Connor and JD Amato essentially just hanging out in and around New York. It's never dull and the field report vibe just adds that extra aspect of life to it. Several episodes recorded from 2012 to 2019.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on April 13, 2021, 12:26:37 PM
I've been adoring the 12 Hour Day podcast recently too - each episode is not too surprisingly 12 hours long, with Connor and JD Amato essentially just hanging out in and around New York. It's never dull and the field report vibe just adds that extra aspect of life to it. Several episodes recorded from 2012 to 2019.

Finally finished the first episode(!). Gosh it's fantastic. Two guys walking around New York, going for food, on the subway, back at the apartment, discussing all sorts of things - Scorsese films, James Bond being problematic, being mugged in Toxteth, Russian lemonade, Oingo Boingo, the improv scene, regrets and hopes, film ideas, and much more. It's always riveting and strangely comforting.

dr_christian_troy

I'll be interviewing
Spoiler alert
Patrick and Connor
[close]
this evening for a forthcoming podcast, and we'll be discussing
Spoiler alert
the 1979 episode of The Tonight Show hosted by Kermit the Frog
[close]
. It's been a while since I've recorded an interview so I'm a bit nervous, but very excited either way.

dr_christian_troy

We recorded for three hours and it was an absolute joy!

Dusty Substance

Fantastic news, DCT!

Eagerly looking forward to listening to this one.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 22, 2021, 06:32:33 PM
Fantastic news, DCT!

Eagerly looking forward to listening to this one.

Thank you! I'll see if I can maybe share the video with you at some point soon.

I was a on a high last night and then started watching the playback today and the inevitable self doubt kicked in. It's been six years since my last recording so I'm pretty rusty. Plus I have the curse of subconsciously assuming I'll keep in touch with those I interview as friends, only to slowly realise that I probably won't hear from them again :(

I'm sure it's fine and hopefully others enjoy it - but yeah, damn my mind.

Fishfinger

It's returned. Live now on Twitch, but I have to sleep, so I'm not quite sure in what form. There's a very long crawl.

ETA: ok, it's not a proper episode, there's a new intro and it's a statement of intent really. Then another very long crawl. But they are back.