Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Iceland does enough non-frozen stuff that you can get up to £40 on a delivery without too much trouble, however inadequate your freezer is.

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 10, 2021, 05:06:32 PM
They do deliveries, if you ever feel in need of a large amount of frozen foods.

But what would the neighbours think if they saw an Iceland van pull up outside?!

touchingcloth

Quote from: stonkers on June 09, 2021, 11:38:49 PM
These things are phenomenal, I've only seen them turn up occasionally in corner shops, not in supermarkets

Who's the warm African?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The frothy nut brown fit bird from Sex Africa.

seepage

Quote from: imitationleather on June 10, 2021, 06:44:43 PM
But what would the neighbours think if they saw an Iceland van pull up outside?!

My very posh next door neighbours get Iceland deliveries. Their others are like 'Artisan purveyors of fine meat and cheese since 1756' type places so I think like a lot of posh people they like a bargain or high-end but despise the middle ground.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on June 10, 2021, 06:44:43 PM

They'd think, "There's that fella getting his stash in of Space Raiders Pickled Onion Flavour Potato Shapes. What a chap. I should probably offer to go over there later and sit on his face".
That's what they're thinking.

druss

Crisps is a satisfying word to say in a Scottish accent. Almost two syllables: ku rusps.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: seepage on June 10, 2021, 06:59:41 PM
My very posh next door neighbours get Iceland deliveries. Their others are like 'Artisan purveyors of fine meat and cheese since 1756' type places so I think like a lot of posh people they like a bargain or high-end but despise the middle ground.

Hasn't Mr Iceland's son carved out an upmarket vegan thing under the Iceland banner? The Barratt estate lot can just pretend to be lentil munchers if anyone asks questions.

Gulftastic

Iceland stuff is great. I had some barbecue chicken wings tonight. Them and Sainsburys kept me alive during lockdown.

Catalogue Trousers

Neomod

Mackie's are presently my crisps of choice but I've only tried the cheese and onion and plain.

I've not seen these let alone tried them. Any good?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Neomod on June 18, 2021, 12:21:20 PM
Mackie's are presently my crisps of choice but I've only tried the cheese and onion and plain.

#

I didn't like them. Not a fan of Mackie's crisps, though. Undercooked and cardboardy. Flavour was a bit odd.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Replies From View on June 10, 2021, 04:55:03 PM
Own-brand kettle chips mate

Nothing wrong with that, but it's what they are.

Very wrong opinion. Salt and vinegar kettle chips are a flaccid travesty compared with these absolutely beautifully brutish mouth-reavers. Different universe, a proper one.

stonkers

Tried them, shite and weird.

imitationleather

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 18, 2021, 01:05:04 PM

Very wrong opinion. Salt and vinegar kettle chips are a flaccid travesty compared with these absolutely beautifully brutish mouth-reavers. Different universe, a proper one.

Indeed. Man doesn't have a clue what he's on about.

beanheadmcginty

Michaels or Greene?

touchingcloth

Seabrooks were always absolute compost crisps, but their scorpion chilli ones are incredible. I love a properly spicy crisp - Really Ruthless were great back in the day - and these things will blow your head off. One of the few crisps I've had which make you question whether your tongue can take just one more.

When I was last the UK the local B&M used to have them at £1 a bag.

touchingcloth

Never heard of cheese and onion and plain before. Is that plain plain, or ready salted plain?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 18, 2021, 10:54:55 PM
Seabrooks were always absolute compost crisps, but their scorpion chilli ones are incredible. I love a properly spicy crisp - Really Ruthless were great back in the day - and these things will blow your head off. One of the few crisps I've had which make you question whether your tongue can take just one more.

When I was last the UK the local B&M used to have them at £1 a bag.

I thought they were rancid, and I love spicy crisps and other snacks. Just bitterness and heat with no flavour. Different strokes etc.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 18, 2021, 11:06:59 PM
I thought they were rancid, and I love spicy crisps and other snacks. Just bitterness and heat with no flavour. Different strokes etc.

Bitterness and heat with no flavour sums it up, but by god are they hot. I'd love a crisp which had the taste and heat of, say, a Thai curry, but those things hit the spot if you're after a fuckinell snack.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 18, 2021, 11:16:20 PM
Bitterness and heat with no flavour sums it up, but by god are they hot. I'd love a crisp which had the taste and heat of, say, a Thai curry, but those things hit the spot if you're after a fuckinell snack.

Bring back Phileas Fogg's Extra Hot Tortilla Chips from 25 years ago, I say. I don't know if you have any clout in the snack world but if you do could you ask your cohorts to get on it, thanks.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 18, 2021, 11:19:28 PM
Bring back Phileas Fogg's Extra Hot Tortilla Chips from 25 years ago, I say. I don't know if you have any clout in the snack world but if you do could you ask your cohorts to get on it, thanks.

Erm, they were "devilishly" hot, actually. Source: I stacked Phileas Fogg crisps on super marker shelves for a month or so in 2003.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 18, 2021, 11:40:00 PM
Erm, they were "devilishly" hot, actually. Source: I stacked Phileas Fogg crisps on super marker shelves for a month or so in 2003.

So that's a no then, is it?

touchingcloth

Butchers Blind

Let's talk Monster Munch, specifically Pickled Onion Monster Munch. Bought a packet the other day and they've changed the taste, they're more mellow now, not as tangy as I remember. Anyone else noticed?

Sebastian Cobb

That reminds me there's a butchers I need to try that does tandoori lorne.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 18, 2021, 11:19:28 PM

Back of the queue mate, Mignons Morceaux first.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 19, 2021, 12:28:14 AM
Back of the queue mate, Mignons Morceaux first.

I had some pretend Italian garlic bread things from Lidl a while back that were the spit of those, I swear.

Video Game Fan 2000

Fogg's devilishly hot always seemed like a rariety. Felt like Elvis coming back out for an encore whenever you walked into a common room with a bag of them.

My aunt once lobbed a bag of them of at us when we were sitting around playing nintendo or whatever and I think we reacted like when Oprah bought everyone cars.

Video Game Fan 2000

The only other snack I can remember getting such a reaction was littlewoods did ridged charcoal grilled steak flavour

Crisps so good they were banned from church (caused a ruckus after a confirmation do because all the adolescents rushed the snack table, I remember a big lad yelling "charcoal steak!" and rushing to hover them in a very appropriate Christ the Redeemer pose. didn't mind because I had two packs at home)