Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:17:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Roy Orbison flavoured Hula Hoops?!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: non capisco on July 26, 2021, 01:16:17 PM
Roy Orbison flavoured Hula Hoops?!

Entirely wrapped in clingfilm.

buzby

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 26, 2021, 06:28:26 AM
This is absolutely correct. Redolent of the venerated Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard flavour potato crisps.
Made by the same company, so probably not a coincidence.

(the same style packet, in happier times)
They were launched in 1998 with a new advert from Enfield & Whitehouse as the Self-Righteous Brothers (they had been doing ads for regular Hula Hoops since 1996).
They were later rebranded to Hula Hoops XL in 2001:

They were rebranded again in 2011 as Big Hoops (and came in bigger 'sharing' bags).

Brain Freeze, I think your packet shard is slighly later than the launch as it had a subtle redesign, maybe 1999/2000?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Got through a fair few bags of them in my teens.

Kankurette

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 26, 2021, 02:43:31 PM
Entirely wrapped in clingfilm.
There is a weird troll on Mumsnet who's obsessed with Bob Dylan wearing nappies. They need to meet the man with a thing for Roy and clingfilm.

Brian Freeze

Thanks yet again for the info Buzby, top marks as ever.

mothman

These are a new discovery for me, but one which I can heartily recommend for anyone missing Brannigan's.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They look wanky cunt crisps but probably really good cheers

mothman

Yeah. An impulse purchase, but I was amazed at how good they actually are. A solid chunky crisp, but not as hard as Kettle; and a strong flavour combo. Might have to try their other varieties.

Inspector Norse

Something faintly racist about the packet there

mothman

You're not wrong. Though it appears to be in keeping with their overall branding theme.

Inspector Norse

Yeah definitely wondering why the Wagyu beef cow is dressed up as a geisha but the Italian fox isn't riding a scooter and catcalling some poor girl.

Fuck knows what's going on on the truffle and rosemary packet.

seepage

Wouldn't Serrano chilli wipe out any "bubbly" flavour?

Italian Cheese and Port: what Italian cheese? Gorgonzola instead of Stilton? Italian Cheese & Vin Santo?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: seepage on August 20, 2021, 11:19:43 AM
what Italian cheese?

A compilation of their Eurovision entries

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: seepage on August 20, 2021, 11:19:43 AM
Italian Cheese and Port: what Italian cheese? Gorgonzola instead of Stilton? Italian Cheese & Vin Santo?

Parmigiano Reggiano it seems

QuotePotatoes, Sunflower Oil, Dried Cheese (MILK) Sea Salt, Yeast Extract, Red Wine Vinegar, Dried Italian PDO Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese ( Made from: Cow's MILK, Salt, Starter Culture, Animal Rennet), MILK Powder, Lactose (MILK), Sugar, Blackcurrant Extract, Maltodextrin, Dried Spirit Vinegar, Natural Flavouring, Ruby Port, Potato Maltodextrin, White Pepper, Acidity Regulator: Citric acid and Garlic powder.

mothman

I feel like the branding for Desert Salt could have been a lot worse than a gazelle in a suit. It's almost like it was it was a hasty replacement for their first suggestion, like, I dunno, a camel in a burnoose?

EDIT: and, truffles? What snuffles for truffles? Pigs! But you can't put a pig on the packet, people will think it's ham or bacon (or gammon - which might lead to a certain demographic who loves feeling like they're being victimised feeling, er, victimised) flavour. So what else sticks its head in the ground to look for things? Ostriches!

Neomod

Just what is it that you want to do?
Well, we wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do
And we wanna get loaded

Today's sarnie accompaniment.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: mothman on August 20, 2021, 12:26:02 PM
I feel like the branding for Desert Salt could have been a lot worse than a gazelle in a suit. It's almost like it was it was a hasty replacement for their first suggestion, like, I dunno, a camel in a burnoose?

Yeah I quite like that one. The gazelle has a suave mischief in his eyes: he's sophisticated and serious, but relaxed and not afraid to kick back with a bag of ready salted crisps.

gib

Where do you get these Savoursmiths ones?

mothman

Me, personally, I picked up the beef ones in a Co-op on Jersey, so that's not much help soz! I'll certainly be looking out for them when I get home. The images come from the Ocado website.

seepage

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on August 20, 2021, 12:21:53 PM

Thanks. Why did they not just put 'Parmesan'? 'cos of the association with the pre-grated stuff?

mothman

"Because it sounds posher" feels like a safer bet than "we were trying to be culturally sensitive" given their chosen way of depicting Wagyu beef was to photoshop a cow in traditional Japanese dress!

seepage

Sorry, I meant on the front, instead of 'Italian Cheese'. Maybe 'Italian Cheese' sounds posher.

mothman

Oh, sorry! And, it really doesn't. ;-)

touchingcloth

Masters of flavour and faber. What's faber? Problematic anthropomorphism?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on August 20, 2021, 12:21:53 PM

QuotePotatoes, Sunflower Oil, Dried Cheese (MILK) Sea Salt, Yeast Extract, Red Wine Vinegar, Dried Italian PDO Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese ( Made from: Cow's MILK, Salt, Starter Culture, Animal Rennet), MILK Powder, Lactose (MILK), Sugar, Blackcurrant Extract, Maltodextrin, Dried Spirit Vinegar, Natural Flavouring, Ruby Port, Potato Maltodextrin, White Pepper, Acidity Regulator: Citric acid and Garlic powder.

Just the one cow's milk? That must be why it's so expensive compared to Grana Padano.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Could go for some crisps

cheers

abobo

These are really nice

some salt and vinegar crisps are way too sharp like Discos or McCoys but these have got the flavour just right.

The Mollusk

Salt and vinegar Discos are heaven. If you aren't wincing your tits inside out sucking the powder off every bite you aren't living.

Anyway these are the best crisps:

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think they do an 'Africa' version and and this version is the labia, vulva and clitoris of centuries. Also cock and perfumed bumhole , for gays.