Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

I've never seen the pickled onion ones but they look amazing. Haggis is a good flavour too - just the right amount of spice, and if you want something a bit stronger, scotch bonnet are nice too. Sadly, they're not too easy to find here, but there is one shop that has a decent range of flavours, alongside a very good beer selection (a winning combo). It's also the only place that consistently sells jalapeño flavoured pretzel pieces.

seepage

Quote from: Bazooka on March 25, 2021, 12:49:13 PM
Yeah Aldi sell them, well I bought some Aberdeen Angus ones, I say ones because to use the term 'flavour' would be incorrect as they had no trace of flavourings, plain crisps in a brown bag?  Sort your bloody act out Mackies.

They save the beef flavour for their ice cream.[nb]No they don't, it's quite nice actually. [/nb]

Neomod

I've enjoyed Mackies in the past, plain and mature cheddar and onion to be precise. Lidl did the mega bags but as with many things at Lidl they suddenly disappeared.

Never heard of the pickled onion variety though.

monkfromhavana

I've been going back to basics recently and buying plain Walkers. Solid all-rounder.

Bazooka

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2021, 12:56:19 PM
Disappointed to read that as I was poised to explore the other flavours. Suffice to say, the pickled onion article above is pretty sharp and pickley.

Well it's clearly a deliberate ploy, reminiscent of the Mediterraneans sending out their lower tier olives and cheese, this is the Scottish sending south their factory floor sweepings. And I live in Leicestershire the world crisp county, this is a declaration of snack war.

Bazooka

Quote from: Neomod on March 25, 2021, 01:16:43 PM
I've enjoyed Mackies in the past, plain and mature cheddar and onion to be precise. Lidl did the mega bags but as with many things at Lidl they suddenly disappeared.

Never heard of the pickled onion variety though.

In Aldi they are on the LOL Random aisle, with the jumble sale offerings.

Kankurette

I wish McCoy's chargrilled chicken crisps were more common. I can never find the fuckers anywhere.

TrenterPercenter

I like them wholewheat posho crisps from M&S they are a bit like Wheatos (but flat and curly)

My other half calls then SHLCs - Suspiciously Healthy Looking Crisps, I've told her it's not catching on, not sure if they are or not with the layers of MSG all over them.

anyway them. alright bye.

Captain Z

I bought a pack of Walkers Sensations balsamic vinegar & caramelised onion (*new recipe) the other week because they were half price. Those were really nice and quite pickled-oniony. I went back to get more a couple of days later and the shelf was bare. Word travels fast.

Piles the Beaver

Crisps. But you buy them frozen and cook in your own oven!

They are doing Space Raiders too but not sure if a corn snack will translate into a potato form:

Only from Iceland. What a time to be alive.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Bazooka on March 25, 2021, 12:49:13 PM
Tomato was the only other flavour on sale, and well I have too much self respect to buy that filth, although they are probably just plain flavour in a red packet which makes sense for crisp rules.
The tomato flavour are a variation of "spice" flavour. Quite nice actually.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pretty fucking tasty. Each poppadom is sprayed with an almost obnoxious mangoey paint. First you get citrus, then fruit, then spice, then a surprisingly wholemealy cereal grounds the whole thing nicely.

Basically if you gave 1 packet to 2 teenage brothers one will have been stabbed to death before the packet is finished, and not a jury in the land would convict.

Sebastian Cobb

They look banging. Almost thought they were walkers before seeing the laila emblem.

Ferris

Quote from: Piles the Beaver on April 11, 2021, 10:29:43 PM

They are doing Space Raiders too but not sure if a corn snack will translate into a potato form:

What the fuck

Video Game Fan 2000

I had these recently and they were great. I'm a life long hater of salt 'n vinegar so I'm surprised I liked them so much. I recoiled when I first opened the packet.

pancreas

They do a salted egg yolk one which is rather good.

Bazooka

I'm actually ashamed to say I've missed the Cherry Blossom Lays and Cucumber Pringles, but they will back in my life upon my return to China next month. Those pickled plum things don't sound good on paper.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Have we done the Co-Op own brand salt and vinegar ones yet? They are fucking amazing!

Chardonnay wine vinegar??? Lah-de-da! Check out his lordship, Sir Al Tha Funkee Homosapien!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Piles the Beaver on April 11, 2021, 10:29:43 PM

I bought some of the Space Raiders. The beef ones are quite nice and flavoursome, kind of like they've been dipped in beef dripping. Pickled onion I'm not so keen on. It does taste similar to the crisp flavour, but doesn't mesh well with potato.
Haven't tried Hula Hoops.

seepage

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 09, 2021, 05:05:37 PM
Have we done the Co-Op own brand salt and vinegar ones yet? They are fucking amazing!

Yes, I think there have been several posts, usually noting their ability to take your face clean off.

Bazooka

Quote from: seepage on June 09, 2021, 06:10:24 PM
Yes, I think there have been several posts, usually noting their ability to take your face clean off.

Yes most of us have war scars from these.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Bazooka on June 09, 2021, 06:27:06 PM
Yes most of us have war scars from these.

I like to take a big open-mouthed inhale from a freshly opened bag.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Love them - fucking fantastic stuff. Salt & Vinegar reborn*. Take a fockin bow son as a bigot might say.

*about 10 years ago but yeah

imitationleather

All this talk has got me hankering for a bag. Might treat myself for the start of the Euros. FAHKIN' GET IN.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: imitationleather on June 09, 2021, 07:33:14 PM
All this talk has got me hankering for a bag. Might treat myself for the start of the Euros. FAHKIN' GET IN.

Good luck. Sold out in my local. The streets know.

Bazooka

£1 a bag for what is essentially a class A potato drug.

beanheadmcginty

The only thing I've truly missed about the UK since moving to Amsterdam in October is those Co-op bad boys, so imagine my delight when I found out that they were stocked in the British expat store. I felt like such a gammon even going into the place, but my god was it worth it for that tongue stripping vinegar savagery.

shiftwork2

There are none of these crisps available for sale tonight.  Who knew that this thread was quite so widely subscribed, forming opinions like an opinion former.

stonkers

These things are phenomenal, I've only seen them turn up occasionally in corner shops, not in supermarkets