Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2021, 10:00:10 PM
Never mind the price, I was just impressed by all those family packs of Space Raiders! There's enough there to see you through Halloween... few cans of Stella, Halloween franchise marathon, sorted!

Easy, four or five bags of premium pickled on, then the beefy buggers to tide you over well past bonfire night. That's a projection I could invest in mein liebe.

eagle_bearer

Quote from: Neomod on October 08, 2021, 12:01:46 AM
Some real Kwik Save quality packaging there.

Don't judge a book by its cover, Neomod! Grab a pack and dive in. You won't be worried about the packaging when you're happily munching away.

buzby

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 07, 2021, 11:53:58 PM
I'm going to be pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for this, but Greggs mature cheddar and onion hand cooked crisps are tasty. Yes, that's right, Greggs own brand crisps are tasty. Good thickness, satisfying crunch, very cheesy. Head to your local Greggs tomorrow and pick up a packet.

I suspect it's Tayto NI who supply their own brand crisp range from the ex-Golden Wonder factory in Corby, though the packet design is aping Burts.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: paruses on September 30, 2021, 06:11:48 PM
Shouldn't have "celebrity" crisps.

Tyrell's Lobster flavour with a pic of Jayne Mansfield on the packet. The one where she's getting the side-eye from Sophia Loren.

NattyDread 2

These bastards will see you alright. Clog your molars up a bit but damn tasty.

jobotic

Quote from: Malcy on October 06, 2021, 06:25:06 PM
I scoffed all the available packetsThe Co-Op has sold out of the Hairy Bikers crisps. I was quite glad then noticed they had started doing the Fish & Chips Walkers so been pummelling them instead because I could only get them miles away the last time. Tartare Sauce & Lemon would be a better name but they're really nice.
I can't decide if I like them. Realised the taste is the same as Scampi Fries which I loved for a bit before deciding they were minging.

Blumf

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on October 08, 2021, 11:56:54 AM

Is Golden Cross some kind of Christian brand? I don't want my snacks proselytising!

TrenterPercenter

Spicy rings doesn't sound right.

El Unicornio, mang

I always found it bewildering that these are massively popular in America, like you can get them at any convenience store/bodega/supermarket. They're pretty good too.

A snack based on an old timey comic strip about a wife-beating alcoholic from Hartlepool. Although clearly the manufacturers didn't know the correct colour of his cap (or chose to change it).

Blumf

How did Andy Capp get famous in the US?

El Unicornio, mang

I recall he was mentioned once in an old episode of The Simpsons when Homer is reading the newspaper so I'm guessing the strips have been printed in the funny pages over there since probably as long as they have here. I guess it would mostly translate fine. But I think most people, at least younger generations, probably don't really know the character outside of the snacks.

Edit:
Andy Capp books first appeared in the US in 1962 produced by Fawcett.

http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/galleries/comicstrips/andycapp-us.htm

And his popularity eventually spread to American shores. In 1963, Andy Capp was running in the now defunct Majorca Daily News, where a vacationing American newspaperman saw it and liked it. The newspaperman was Bob Hall, head of Publishers Syndicate. He went to London on his way home and got syndication rights for the American market. Starting September 16, 1963, Andy Capp was distributed in the U.S. by Hall's syndicate.

Andy Capp was modified for American consumption: it became a four-panel comic strip instead of a single-panel cartoon. In England, however, the four equal-sized panels were stacked, two panels on each of two tiers, so the strip occupied the same square space as a single-panel cartoon.

By the 1990s, it was in nearly a thousand U.S. papers a day.

https://www.tcj.com/andy-capp-is-sixty-this-year/

Blumf

Huh, weird that it made such a big impact over there. Must have been part of 'The British Invasion' of the 60s.

Inspector Norse

amateur

Quote from: icehaven on October 07, 2021, 10:26:35 PM
It's OK, I only get salt and vinegar or ready salted fruit and veg

Genuinely salivating at this concept

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 12:14:29 PM

Doesn't feel right either

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Blumf on October 08, 2021, 12:12:21 PM
Is Golden Cross some kind of Christian brand? I don't want my snacks proselytising!
Nah, made by Sikhs in a big shed in Livingston.
They also do Bacon Tasties, a Frazzles knock off that tastes like they put a whole powdered pig in every bag.

Replies From View

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on October 08, 2021, 11:56:54 AM

I still fume at the casual use of "spicy" as a noun.  "Spice flavour," certainly, although I might reject you for being too vague.  But "spicy flavour", no thank you.  Back to schooling.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Corn Snacking, however, would be fine

Cold Meat Platter

These are also ace. Really strong flavour, mouth burning if you go too fast.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Icehaven

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 07, 2021, 11:53:58 PM
I'm going to be pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for this, but Greggs mature cheddar and onion hand cooked crisps are tasty. Yes, that's right, Greggs own brand crisps are tasty. Good thickness, satisfying crunch, very cheesy. Head to your local Greggs tomorrow and pick up a packet.

No I agree Greggs crisps are great, the salt and vinegar ones are approaching the Co-op's for strength and you get lots of the nice crunchy see-through ones.

eagle_bearer

Quote from: icehaven on October 08, 2021, 04:59:37 PM
No I agree Greggs crisps are great, the salt and vinegar ones are approaching the Co-op's for strength and you get lots of the nice crunchy see-through ones.

Thanks for helping to spread the word about Greggs tasty crisps. I haven't tried the salt and vinegar ones yet, so I'll check these out next time I visit my local Greggs. 

Jasha

Greggs must do a sausage roll flavour shurely?

Tony Tony Tony

Can anyone with knowledge of the colonies tell me WTF a sloppy joe is?

Let alone why you might like you Pringles tasting of the stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Isn't the flavouring literally the only thing that could possibly redeem a pringle?

stonkers

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 08, 2021, 05:34:27 PM
Can anyone with knowledge of the colonies tell me WTF a sloppy joe is?

It's basically mince in a burger bun innit? It doesn't really scream great crisp flavour.

mothman

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 08, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
It's like something an anal-sex-obsessed zombie would say.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 08, 2021, 12:15:31 PM
wife-beating alcoholic from Hartlepool
Jimmy Osmond considers rewrite.

jobotic

Got some salted Lays to (ahem) lay into with my Zywiec tonight.

My partner will be eating these.

I can't think of anything more revolting.

mothman

... do you think they're aiming for some sort of Apocalypse Now pun there?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Would give those a try. Some jalapeño flavour crisps are shite, some great