Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

"Crunchips wow! I'm a big boy now"

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 08, 2021, 04:47:18 PM
Burning you say? Sold.

Eye watering. Takes monster munch out behind the bins and kicks absolute fuck out it. Good quality maize too, not gritty at all.

seepage

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 08, 2021, 09:02:26 PM
Would give those a try. Some jalapeño flavour crisps are shite, some great

Jalapeño & cream cheese = possibly OK
Jalapeño & lime = definitely not OK

Neomod

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 08, 2021, 12:07:00 AM
Don't judge a book by its cover, Neomod! Grab a pack and dive in. You won't be worried about the packaging when you're happily munching away.

Well hearing Golden Wonder and Tayto mentioned in Buzby's subsequent post colours me intrigued.

mothman

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 07, 2021, 11:53:58 PM
I'm going to be pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for this, but Greggs mature cheddar and onion hand cooked crisps are tasty. Yes, that's right, Greggs own brand crisps are tasty. Good thickness, satisfying crunch, very cheesy. Head to your local Greggs tomorrow and pick up a packet.

I have been on a voyage of crispovery! First I tried these. Not bad. Way better than they had any business being, especially with the design aesthetic that would have Happy Shopper going "Mate."

And then it was on to these, specifically the Thai Green. Very nice! I make my own green curry pastes, and this reminds me of that.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 20, 2021, 07:41:43 PM
I noticed that Walkers had some new flavours on promotion, in place of the bland Hot Dog and Chicken Tikka ones promoted during the football.

I didn't see the Madras, sadly, will need to keep an eye out, so got the Thai Green Chilli ones and they're almost nice, but a bit unusual, they taste quite creamy, there's a hint of something curry like and a bit of chicken crisp flavouring. Would eat again.

The Chicken Burrito I'm expecting to be very similar to Roast Chicken. And well, fish and chip flavour snacks are nothing new and usually a bit crap.

Replies From View

No offence but your own green curry pastes must taste pretty fucking disgusting

TrenterPercenter

Can someone give me the scratch on Tayto and which ones I should be buying?

Malcy

The Fish & Chips flavour have been wiped out in the Co-Op i got the last pack and grabbed one of the FULL shelf of Madras. Really like them. I'll have to hunt down the others. Chicken crisps way down the bottom for me in terms of crisp flavours but want to try the Thai ones as well.

Twit 2

Quote from: mothman on October 12, 2021, 06:07:40 PM
I make my own green curry pastes, and this reminds me of that.

I bet you use ginger like a chump.

pancreas

Are you going to let this SHITSACK talk to you like this?

Twit 2

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2021, 06:14:30 PM
No offence but your own green curry pastes must taste pretty fucking disgusting

His was worse.

bgmnts

I'm a shit cook but if I ever made anything and thought it tasted like A Walkers crisp flavour, I'd slit my throat.

mothman

I said it reminded me, in some way I'm unsure of, not "tasted like". Jeez, at least Replies didn't mean any offence, dunno what Twit's problem is. And, my curries are fucking amazing.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 12, 2021, 06:16:36 PM
Can someone give me the scratch on Tayto and which ones I should be buying?

You mean NI or ROI, or which flavour generally?

NI for region, Salt and Vinegar for flavour. No better Salt and Vinegar on the market except those Co-Op ones but those are too painful to regularly consume. Smoky Bacon Tayto are also market-leading.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 12, 2021, 09:40:30 PM
You mean NI or ROI, or which flavour generally?

NI for region, Salt and Vinegar for flavour. No better Salt and Vinegar on the market except those Co-Op ones but those are too painful to regularly consume. Smoky Bacon Tayto are also market-leading.

Ah I thought it was was all about the Cheese and Onion.  Cheers for the advice I'll be making purchase just as soon as I've stopped laughing at their google title (very good).

beanheadmcginty

The best Irish cheese and onion are Kings

Piles the Beaver

I've met Mr Tayto

Spoiler alert
He's a cunt*
[close]
[nb]*Only joking - he was a great lad - stayed for the full contractual 5 minutes and gave us loads of crisps too[/nb]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 08, 2021, 05:34:27 PM

Can anyone with knowledge of the colonies tell me WTF a sloppy joe is?

Let alone why you might like you Pringles tasting of the stuff.

Browned ground beef with ketchup and yellow mustard added at end of cooking. The condiment amount is important, it should be the max amount to coat everything but not so much that it runs off or pools.
I add some Worcester and plenty of onion powder too.  The cooking of the condiment changes the taste to something greater than just applying it to the top after.
Works great with Quorn (I usually augment that with leftover rice too). Buns should be toasted and a bit of hot sauce doesn't hurt. Nothing else though, no salad on top nor mayonnaise.

Wife's family recipe has a can of Campbells Chicken Gumbo Soup added (without the extra can of water). That doesn't seem to hurt it any.

TLDR; pretty much taco meat for babies

Replies From View

Why have Pringles never done an 'extra can of water' flavour??

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2021, 01:12:24 AM
Why have Pringles never done an 'extra can of water' flavour??

Give them a chance! They've got to get Lard flavour out first.

buzby

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 12, 2021, 10:25:00 PM
Ah I thought it was was all about the Cheese and Onion.  Cheers for the advice I'll be making purchase just as soon as I've stopped laughing at their google title (very good).

Home & Bargain get a lot of stuff from Tayto NI and their various brands. I don't know about Salt & Vinegar but I've defintely seen their Cheese & Onion and Smoky Bacon flavours there.

Magnum Valentino

I'm not saying their Cheese and Onion aren't the best Cheese and Onion crisps - they are, though King are fucking lovely as well - just that I think there's a bit of a mythology around them that overshadows how good their other flavours are.

Icehaven

I went to the Turner prize exhibition yesterday and part of one exhibit is a recreation of a 1980s bar in Northern Ireland, and there were packets of Taytos on the tables. I've never tried them so having seen them being lauded on here so much I really wanted to open one, but they might not even have been real. And I probably would have been thrown out. Still, if that nominee wins the prize then Tayto should really capitalize on it, get themselves in every crisp shop in England. 

Replies From View

Did they stabilise the crisp packets themselves in their original 1980s formation?

I want fonts, I want layout design, I want non-foil packets with clear windows showing the crisps inside

Icehaven

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2021, 02:18:32 PM
Did they stabilise the crisp packets themselves in their original 1980s formation?

I want fonts, I want layout design, I want non-foil packets with clear windows showing the crisps inside

You can just about see them on the tables in the foreground.

I've never seen a real life Tayto packet before so I've no idea if they were historically accurate or not. Should fucking hope so though, given the effort they've gone to.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: icehaven on October 13, 2021, 01:10:51 PM
I went to the Turner prize exhibition yesterday and part of one exhibit is a recreation of a 1980s bar in Northern Ireland, and there were packets of Taytos on the tables. I've never tried them so having seen them being lauded on here so much I really wanted to open one, but they might not even have been real. And I probably would have been thrown out. Still, if that nominee wins the prize then Tayto should really capitalize on it, get themselves in every crisp shop in England.

Possibly even the second biggest snack manufacturer in the UK

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on October 13, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
You can just about see them on the tables in the foreground.

I've never seen a real life Tayto packet before so I've no idea if they were historically accurate or not. Should fucking hope so though, given the effort they've gone to.

You remember those giant flatscreen tellies they had in the 1980s

Icehaven

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2021, 03:34:42 PM
You remember those giant flatscreen tellies they had in the 1980s

Which is odd considering even now a lot of galleries still use big boxy TVs for video art. Some of the people on it were from the 80s though, can that count?

Replies From View

No because they aren't from the 80s anymore

Replies From View

It honestly looks like they've used a couple of 80s style patterns to drape over the tables (remember because nobody showed the plain wood of pub tables in those days), popped some packets of crisps on the tables and planted some sweets in some pub ashtrays.

80s, that.  Careful there.

Even then, it would be largely acceptable if they hadn't used the flatscreen TV.  Such a bizarre choice.