Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: icehaven on October 13, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
I've never seen a real life Tayto packet before so I've no idea if they were historically accurate or not. Should fucking hope so though, given the effort they've gone to.

Those are contemporary packet designs. Back in 80's Ireland - whether you were from north or south of the border - chances are you were weaned on Tayto. These anachronistic props are not only bordering on sacrilege, but frankly put the entire peace process in jeopardy.

Icehaven

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on October 13, 2021, 06:49:34 PM
Those are contemporary packet designs. Back in 80's Ireland - whether you were from north or south of the border - chances are you were weaned on Tayto. These anachronistic props are not only bordering on sacrilege, but frankly put the entire peace process in jeopardy.

They're also quite garish.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Lidl have introduced a range of seasonal crisps in the run up to Halloween. Wrong season, though: it's Christmas flavours as opposed to anything pumpkin-related, or brains. Quite a few varieties to choose from, although I somehow managed to restrain myself to just Lobster Cocktail and Pigs in Blankets. The former were great, like a slightly sweeter prawn cocktail. Plenty of flavour, and a crunchy texture. Good size rounds, as well. I presume the polite euphemism is that it's a "sharing bag", but I guzzled the lot in short order.

The Pigs in Blankets are similar in terms of crunch and size, and there is no doubting the piggy bouquet as you approach the packet. The flavour is intense, and quite convincingly bacony, at least to this long-term vegetarian, but very long on the palate. So long, in fact, that I had a handful about five hours ago, and I can still taste them on and off. To be blunt, more repeats than UK Gold.

seepage

No crisps in the Co-op. Had to buy a multipack of Walkers 'Oven Baked' instead. Also purchased a single Magnum instead a box of several, which is worse than a war crime apparently.

Cold Meat Platter

Tesco's finest Bratwurst sausage flavour crinkle cut, from their Christmas snack selection review:

It's flame grilled steak flavour. Flame grilled steak McCoys.

TrenterPercenter

Had some Pipers Longhorn Beef flavoured crisps other day.  Were good very beefy.

Thursday

Quote from: seepage on October 18, 2021, 02:47:08 PM
No crisps in the Co-op. Had to buy a multipack of Walkers 'Oven Baked' instead. Also purchased a single Magnum instead a box of several, which is worse than a war crime apparently.

My nearest is a small Co-op everywhere else is a bit more of a trek and every time I'm stunned by how weak the Crisp section is (for multipacks anyway). Every time I look again expecting to see something, but even when fully stocked it's underwhelming.

But then so was the Tesco Metro last time I went.

Supermarkets really need to buck their ideas up when it comes to crisp sections.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 01, 2021, 09:19:32 PM
Had some Pipers Longhorn Beef flavoured crisps other day.  Were good very beefy.

The problem is that all beef/steak crisps are so very underwhelming fartbox atmosphere unless at least, at least, there's some mustard or horseradish.

I actually vaguely respect the discount beef and onion thin vinegary crisps as they really truly bring on the 70s dockers armpit Fray Bentos gooch sweat hell.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 01, 2021, 09:59:17 PM
The problem is that all beef/steak crisps are so very underwhelming fartbox atmosphere unless at least, at least, there's some mustard or horseradish.

I actually vaguely respect the discount beef and onion thin vinegary crisps as they really truly bring on the 70s dockers armpit Fray Bentos gooch sweat hell.

These were one of the better ones.  Very bovrilly.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 01, 2021, 10:28:00 PM
These were one of the better ones.  Very bovrilly.

The bovrily ones are great but the 'flame grilled' ones always have a weird chemical aftertaste.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It all comes back to Brannigans I'm afraid. The king.

Where's the accountability for these decisions? Who lets an upstanding brand wither on the vine like this?

In my day Brannigans were rightly regarded as top shelf purchase.

TrenterPercenter

We are all still living in the wake of the loss of Brannigans but I reckon with half a teaspoon of mustard powder you could be close in flavour with these.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 01, 2021, 10:32:01 PM
The bovrily ones are great but the 'flame grilled' ones always have a weird chemical aftertaste.

Yeah they are good they have got the oily thing going on to which is usually not great but suits the flavour well

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 01, 2021, 09:16:23 PM
Tesco's finest Bratwurst sausage flavour crinkle cut, from their Christmas snack selection review:

It's flame grilled steak flavour. Flame grilled steak McCoys.

Quite sad they don't seem to be doing the Finest Ham and Cola ones this year. Could happily put my lost weight back on with those

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on October 13, 2021, 03:34:42 PM
You remember those giant flatscreen tellies they had in the 1980s

When I first started going to pubs in the early 00s, there were a few that used massive tellies rather than projectors for showing their foot balls or whatever. I remember some where the screens were flat, but the tellies themselves weren't the kind of thing you'd hang from the wall unless you wanted to risk smushing the patrons if a Rawlplug perished.

Steven88

Flamin' hot Giant Wotsits are pretty decent, same as Flamin' hot Monster Munch but not in a stupid shape.

Malcy

Best they had in my local Co-op last week, actually pretty much the only thing they had, wa tubs of Pringles at a whopping £3.30 a tube!

Picked up Seabrook Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce, really nice. Have also got a few multipacks of their Loaded Fries which are really nice too.

Got some Golden Wonder Salt & Vinegar recently. Bit much.

itsfredtitmus

Wish more if you were into Walkers and Hula Hoops

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Malcy on November 06, 2021, 06:01:51 PM
Best they had in my local Co-op last week, actually pretty much the only thing they had, wa tubs of Pringles at a whopping £3.30 a tube!

Picked up Seabrook Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce, really nice. Have also got a few multipacks of their Loaded Fries which are really nice too.

Got some Golden Wonder Salt & Vinegar recently. Bit much.
golden wonder is maybe the best crisps in the world though I can never find shops that sell them aldi ones are good replacement

Blumf

PANIC!! PANIC!!PANIC!! PANIC!!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/07/walkers-crisps-shortage-could-last-until-end-of-month-after-it-glitch
QuoteBritish shoppers may face shortages of some of their favourite crisps until the end of the month after a botched computer upgrade disrupted the world's biggest crisp factory.

Walkers has been forced to prioritise its most popular varieties – including cheese and onion, ready salted and salt and vinegar, as well as Quavers and Wotsits – after the glitch forced it to slow production. A spokesperson said "more niche" varieties had been slowed.

Brexit, Covid, lorry drivers, inflation, now crisps! It never ends!!!!

I think this was prophesied in the Bible.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hope Golden Wonder are standing by to slay these revolting glitch cunts

seepage

No Walkers Cheese & Onion in the Co-Op again. Partner gets quite violent if they can't get any. Hiding.

stonkers

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on November 06, 2021, 06:19:44 PM
golden wonder is maybe the best crisps in the world though I can never find shops that sell them aldi ones are good replacement

Seconded, the Aldi Snackrites don't beat Golden Wonder but put in a respectable showing. Certainly better than Walkers' embarrassing attempt at salt and vinegar.

Glebe

For too long have Walkers dominated the Crisp World. Come on Golden Wonder, step up to the plate!

itsfredtitmus

Had Hula Hoops something about them is just so crunchy! And lovely! Yum. None of that melting baby air nothingness like Wotsits!

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: stonkers on November 08, 2021, 09:30:50 PM
Seconded, the Aldi Snackrites don't beat Golden Wonder but put in a respectable showing. Certainly better than Walkers' embarrassing attempt at salt and vinegar.
walkers is missing the grease isn't it? They're halfway to being Pringles in their lack of grease! It has the packed lunch factor too

monkfromhavana

Quote from: stonkers on November 08, 2021, 09:30:50 PM

NO. Bought a multi-pack of Snackrite ready salted, maybe I got a bad batch but they had a stale quality to them that was unacceptable. Yes they were kept out of direct sunlight in a dry place as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on November 10, 2021, 12:29:54 AM
For too long have Walkers dominated the Crisp World. Come on Golden Wonder, step up to the plate!

I thought Walkers owned Golden Wonders these days.

Probably don't.  Can't be arsed to check.  We probably had this conversation already.

Replies From View

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 10, 2021, 10:23:43 AM
NO. Bought a multi-pack of Snackrite ready salted, maybe I got a bad batch but they had a stale quality to them that was unacceptable. Yes they were kept out of direct sunlight in a dry place as well.

Keyword is QUALITY, mate

fuckin QUALITY

Malcy

Co-op is back to bare shelves again. Last week all they had were Tomato Walkers. This week it's only Ready Salted. Still clinging to hope that another box of those Hairy Biker crisps will appear out of thin air again.