Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury '05 BBC Coverage

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 24, 2005, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

We (well, I) was talking about this in the other glasto thread so I thought I might as well start one. On BBC2 It starts tonight for half an hour at nine then a longer show at 11, of course digital people will have the joys of that cunt Colin the Irish dj wanker and his mate Edith on all those interactive Channels. Anyway, this is what I said in the other thread because I can't be arsed thinking of anything new to say instead: 'Looking forward to seeing the coverage, especially The White Stripes and The La's, and Brian Wilson of course. The coverage will be a bit shit without John Peel, which will probably mean more Jo 'I'm so cool' Whiley. Mark Radcliffe is on it though, which is good. I have quite enjoyed the coverage in past years actually, Peel always brought a nice feel to it. Not sure what it will be like without him.' Jemble Fred then replied saying 'As long as Billy Bragg does his bit, it'll be worth watching. Except I don't think he's there. So fuck it.'
So. We can discuss the coverage here rather than clogging the other threads up which are rightfully dedicated to laughing at people getting soaked and muddy.

dot

elvis costello on tonight, anyone else good?

Nuts 'n Gum

i always feel i'm missing out cos i don't watch all 7 hours of interactive coverage. am i missing out?

rjd2

Without Peel does that not mean we will have to put with Colin Murray, Zane Lowe and all those horrid radio one twats and Phil Jupitus and the oh so cool Lauren Laverne?

Jemble Fred

I might as well pre-empt the torrents of abuse which are going to flood over Bragg's old mucker Porky 'Phill Jupitus' the Pig – a man who I like enormously, and one of the few reasons to bother to watch this.

Here's my little bit of pre-empting:

alan strang

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I might as well pre-empt the torrents of abuse which are going to flood over Bragg's old mucker Porky 'Phill Jupitus' the Pig

'Porky The Poet' wasn't it? He is an utterly rotten Glasto presenter though, friend of Bragg's or not.

The coverage this year will surely be an extremely downbeat experience without Peel's occasional presence on the sofa. It was excruciating enough two years back with Laverne, Jupitus, Whiley and that annoying black woman piddling all over the presentation. Now there'll be this horrible air of 'Yes, he's gone, and yes, it's sad, but we survived. So fuck you!"

Jemble Fred

Poet, yes. I have a great mp3 of him reciting 'Beastiality' somewhere... I can't recall seeing him presenting at the festival before. So I'll be watching to see how he does.

El Unicornio, mang

BBC webcast:
http://w1.exequo.org/glastonbury2005/pindex.php

Babyshambles on now

(for some reason it doesn't work in Firefox though)

Neil

Goodness me, those Bloc Party chaps aren't half awful, eh?

The Mumbler

Quote from: "alan strang"that annoying black woman

Andrea Oliver, formerly of Rip Rig & Panic (who were on The Young Ones once).

El Unicornio, mang

Doves just started on the webcast. Lead singer looks like he needs a haircut

Beagle 2

Dear me, apart from Elvis it's been bloody poor today. Doves were dull, Babyshambles are such a nothing band (who just conducted the worst interview of modern times, how come people are interested in this bloke?) and now it's the FUCKING Killers. Whom I despise.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Thanks for that webcast link (although it didn't work for me in IE either so I just did a google search). It says the La's are going to be on it on the Sunday which I'm really looking forward to.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Neil"Goodness me, those Bloc Party chaps aren't half awful, eh?

You're showing your age, baby. Did you have a nice birthday?

Duckula

The BBC Three interactive thing is a load of shite.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The flood problems thankfully resulted in the BBC being 'unable to locate' Laverne, Jupitus and Wiley for a while, so we had some nice, low-key, OGWT-esque presentation from Mark Radcliffe. Which was lovely. God knows what kind of horrible slick package they'd originally had in mind.

Jesus, that was an awful version of Oliver's Army Costello did. But then the main stages are always dull as fuck. That KT Tunstall woman Radcliffe introduced, though - she was good.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"The flood problems thankfully resulted in the BBC being 'unable to locate' Laverne, Jupitus and Wiley for a while...

Hopefully, they've all got trenchmouth.

Tunstall is very good, yes indeed.

Labian Quest

I thought the Doves and Babyshambles were both good for the first few songs but then started to sound a bit samey. People seem to be enjoying larking about in the mud today, but it is going to have gotten fucking old by Sunday. I thought it was good being able to switch between bands, though I've only had Freeview box for a few months now.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "Neil"Goodness me, those Bloc Party chaps aren't half awful, eh?

You're showing your age, baby. Did you have a nice birthday?

Oh come on, they stink! It's hardly teenybobber music either. I'd heard they were meant to be really different and interesting. No.

Divnee Gan

I'd like to lick the new lass' nipples.

edit: shit I thought i was in big brother

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, KT Tunstall was great wasn't she. She also seemed to be having a really nice time and laughed about the technical problems rather than going in a huff which made me like her more. Watching Radcliffe presenting by himself was lovely but we'll probably have fucking Jo Whiley as his co-presenter, or Laverne. I don't actually mind Laverne that much, she has annoyed me before on the Glasto coverage but has been fairly likeable and funny as well.

Beagle 2

Fatboy Slim's entertaining me very nicely!

alan strang

Hey - the bloke from White Stripes has come as Captain Beefheart!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "alan strang"Hey - the bloke from White Stripes has come as Captain Beefheart!

WILEY: I called him Captain Trout earlier didn't I?!!!
PEEL: You did. And the scars still show.

Goldentony

hmmn the white stripes seem a bit off. the guitar sounds rubbish.

Neil

Quote from: "TraceyQ"You're showing your age, baby. Did you have a nice birthday?

Not yet.  Seriously though, that last song of theirs was absolutely dreadful.  Can The Kids not pick a better band to pretend to like?

alan strang

Heh heh - he's impersonating Bobcat Goldthwaite now!

I like these White Stripes. They're ridiculous.

Darrell

Is this an affectionate tribute to French and Saunders's 'The Poo Stripes' sketch? I'm sure they never used to be quite this pathetic.