Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question about self-publishing

Started by Gregory Torso, January 24, 2021, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Just wondered if anyone who has done this can recommend a decent software/website for formatting text and getting it shaped into a printable pdf or something.

About ten years ago I used Lulu to print off a run of about 15 books of short stories, but a friend of mine set it all out, formatted the pages and that, handled the boring non-writing parts (he is a FONT MAN, but is too busy running a catering service in Japan to help at the mo, I suppose I could ask him but he doesn't reply to emails much and I'll lose the impetus/motivation if I don't do this soon).

I've been looking at Reedsy which seems fairly easy to use and is free (very important detail).

I have about 35k words and just want them printed in a physical format that I can give away to people. Not interested in publishers or agents or anything like that. Small time, low key.

I'm shit with fonts.

Cheers.

PlanktonSideburns

could you just do googe docs and export as pdf

actually, i have no idea how the fuck this works, sorry for even posting here

imitationleather

I hope you'll make it available to us, Gregory. I'd love to buy and read it.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on January 25, 2021, 01:11:53 AM
I hope you'll make it available to us, Gregory. I'd love to buy and read it.

Seconded

ZoyzaSorris

I used adobe indesign to put a handful of copies of a paperback book together to try and get some mates to actually read it and give me some feedback as I a) thought it might be more enjoyable to read than a word doc and b) I just wanted to see it in print out of personal self-indulgence. Looked pretty good. Can get a dodgy copy off of dodgy websites. Happy to help with any pointers (I have a long time in the print production business under my belt sadly)

non capisco

Thirded on wanting to buy this forthcoming Torso tome. He's one of these 'legitimately incredible writer' people you get from time to time slumming it on here.

ZoyzaSorris

Well yes the idea of a Torso book fills me with joy too.
(In a just world every household would have a bookshelf brimming with Torso tomes, Pjilstart almanacs, Poo poetry anthologies, the collected works of Doomy Dwyer and many more of our talented locals)

non capisco

PlanktonSideburns

feel like a torso book would arrive scratched onto the back of some cardboard, in coal, blown by the wind

have you thought about doing that instead?

Gregory Torso

Thanks for the adobe recc, Zoyz - maybe a bit complicated for me, there's a week free trial, probably take that long for me to work out how to upload all the word files. Probably give reeedsy a go and if it's shit get adobing. Or just do like Plankton says and carve FUCK on a bit of tree and throw it out of my front window, same general effect.

Thanks everyone else for the lovely encouragement. I need a project to focus on.

Gregory Torso

I mean, setting all the dogshit bits out like page numbers and notes and headings and trying to make it not look like shit, but also not having to pay any money whatsoever to do that.

Zetetic

Ray Travez

just wanted to add my name to the list of people who'd love to read this, should you have a yen to put it on kindle or whatever

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah, when's this coming out, Gregory!?

Bernice

If you ever wanted to go the ebook route, Sigil is a good free bit of software.