Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla vs Kong

Started by Butchers Blind, January 24, 2021, 10:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

https://youtu.be/odM92ap8_c0

Not sure why we need this but its made.  Skull Island was alright but that last Godzilla film was a chore.

bgmnts

I just want to see men in suits fight in rubber costumes.

Put Jackie Chan in a Godzilla costume and Jet Li in a Kong costume and have them choreogeaph an hour of monster fighting.

May be better with two pro wrestlers though. Batista and The Rock.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2021, 11:10:43 PM
I just want to see men in suits fight in rubber costumes.

Would you like the suits to be beneath or over the rubber costumes?

Bazooka

My mum won't let me watch it because of the RAP music.

St_Eddie

Not even trying to hide their teal and orange agenda.  Shameless!

St_Eddie

I had an interesting conversation regarding this film on the Disqus comments below the relevant article...

Fella: "...it better be over 2hrs."

Myself: "Ah, yes because as the old saying goes; "quantity over quality". Wait a moment, no it bloody doesn't...

A movie's runtime ought to be dictated by the story being told. Why would it automatically be a better movie if the runtime exceeds the 2 hour mark? For that matter, how much narrative runtime is even needed for a story about a giant ape fighting a monstrous lizard? Two hours would be more than enough, surely?"

Fella: "Because if they add in human elements (which they should honestly work on) it brings down the time of them fighting and all. People just don't got long intention spans anymore. Thats what the real problem is. So if you have a 1hr 30 min film or a 1hr 45min film they will most likly ruin it with long drawn out human scenes that mean nothing at all followed by a 30 min battle 5 mins of random kaijus followed by another 2 mins of random shit blowing up, 15 mins or so of more humans talkin about shit nobody cares about, then end. If they make it a little longer they can flesh it out instead of cramming it all in, I'm not asking for a 3hr movie here. The run time of Skull Island was perfect, perfect blend of everything. I love the last 2 Godzilla films don't get me wrong. But they are very very flawed, and hopefully the writers by now see that and can fix what is wrong with them. 2hrs is perfect or 2hrs 25mins. Thats all I say."

Myself: "I fundamentally disagree with you. I reiterate; a movie's runtime ought to be dictated by the story being told. It's absurd to suggest that a 2 hour minimum runtime will automatically result in a better movie. As for your allocation of plot elements (30 mins for X, 45 mins for Y, 1 hour for Z etc.); the writer can choose which elements to concentrate upon within their own script. Nothing says that X amount of time needs to be devoted to this particular plot element, leaving only a certain amount of time leftover for character development and even less time for the action scenes.

The writer decides what percentage of time to devote to any given aspect of the story. Increasing the runtime of a movie doesn't mean that you somehow magically increase the total percentage of time to allocate to the various aspects, to a total of 150% or more. Ultimately, you're still left with 100% of the total runtime to allocate your various story elements to. The writer still has to choose which aspects to focus on, whether they be plot, character or action related and how to divide that time, regardless of runtime.

Increasing the runtime for the sheer sake of it won't negate the writer's need to choose their focus for the story. Instead it will merely increase the possibility of padding and bloat within said story. Having an unnecessarily long runtime only encourages laziness in writers and filmmakers. It only encourages them to not consider pacing and to not trim the fat, cutting the story back to its lean essentials.

The key to crafting a compelling movie is writing a good script. It's the foundation upon which everything else is build. If the structure is broken, the whole thing comes tumbling down. What you ought to be asking for is a well written script, not a longer runtime. A bad script leads to a bad movie, regardless of whether the runtime is 1 hour 30, or 2 hours 45, or whatever. The script dictates the runtime. The runtime does not dictate the script. Your entire argument is putting the cart before the horse."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still trying to get my head around that "logic"...

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2021, 12:26:10 AM
Would you like the suits to be beneath or over the rubber costumes?

I want rubber suits under costumes now.

Pete23

Looks a bit biased towards Kong to me. Bet he gets the girl as well.

Chedney Honks

Godzilla vs Kong vs YONGGARY

Bazooka

Quote from: Pete23 on January 25, 2021, 10:01:30 AM
Looks a bit biased towards Kong to me. Bet he gets the girl as well.

The sequel he can't get a job because he is on the sex pest register.

Glebe

Replies From View

they should do a film where there's like a giant lizard thing and a giant ape thing.  call them 'llala' and 'kung'.

both stand up on their main 'legs' if we could invent that name for the two pillars that hold up a being, and they smash the living daylights out of each other until they are black and blue.  maybe let the lizard thing have a tail

note to self:  have the camera too close to the action so we can see fuck all most of the time?

and have the ape absurdly realistic like someone has bothered having motion capture put on them for a day and then performed every emotion conceivable with their face one after the other until they are fucking exhausted

if this film is ever made i will award it 10/10

Captain Z

Whoever wins... we snooze.

Glebe

Just seen this:

Spoiler alert
Kong kills Godzilla but Godziila will return!
[close]

Three bags of popcorn.

up_the_hampipe

That "YEAH! HERE WE GO!" music cue when Godzilla and Kong face off is really funny. These films are ridiculous and I will watch this.

Shit Good Nose

Ishiro Honda's 1962 "original" is on the internet in full if anyone is interested.  YouTube for the English dubbed version and Internet Archive for the original Japanese.

Replies From View

how about a film where there is a giant ape monster thing, really massive to the point where you are baffled

and also a giant lizard monster thing that breathes fire, also huge but with less of a frame of reference

and they stomp around on these "leg" things all day smashing stuff up

then one day they notice each other.  they cross paths somehow and they're like "eh up" and start eyeballing each other

and for most of the film they're eyeballing each other and you get to see all the latest up to date deep-fake technology in the giant ape monster's face.  it should have an uncanny valley thing going on

then the ape one starts swinging a bin lid around his head using webbing, and just as the bin lid is about to smash into the lizard one's head:  end film

yeah?  and their names could be "flotsam" for the lizard one and "ning" for the ape one

seepage

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 25, 2021, 10:30:53 AM
Godzilla vs Kong vs YONGGARY

The trailer said Warner Bros + Legend Gary

druss

Be good if they both punch each other at the same time and then both die.

Sequel: Zombzilla vs King Zomb

druss

Did his Mum name him King Kong, I bet she didn't.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: druss on January 25, 2021, 02:30:14 PM

Self-titled due to microcock.

notjosh

Quote from: druss on January 25, 2021, 02:30:14 PM

Yet he's still sponging off the taxes tributes of the good people of Skull Island. High time he cut ties with his royal lineage and moved to America to carve out a lucrative media career.

Oh right, fair enough.

idunnosomename

why dont these cowards just make a mechagodzilla film

Shit Good Nose

Bazooka

Spolier: She goes to the prom with Kong at the end.

St_Eddie

Fluffy from Creepshow is looking rough these days but evidently still has an eye for the ladies, or rather he would if he actually had eyes.

Spiteface

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 25, 2021, 05:12:12 PM
why dont these cowards just make a mechagodzilla film

If leaks of toys last year are to be believed, might be happening. Apparently one of the toys at some trade show (i.e. not intended for the public to see but some stuff still got out) was a MechaGodzilla.

I'm wondering if KOTM's post-credits scene where Tywin Lannister buys one of Ghidorah's heads, will go anywhere. Feels like a sequel hook, but vs Kong is supposedly the last one (Toho was planning to reboot the Japanese series after this one, a new Netflix anime is in the works though)

The Mollusk

Imagine kong yeah but now imagine him bigger. You can't imagine it, too big