Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla vs Kong

Started by Butchers Blind, January 24, 2021, 10:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamfist

Yeah I have to say I enjoyed it too. My kid was like a dog with 2 dicks, just loved it. So daft, but just a fun escape - ja, a fun ride.

Glebe

Watched this last night, thought it was fairly mediocre but there were some nice visuals and some good monster action. Script was Saturday morning cartoon level, lots of infantile 'science' gobbledegook and 2D characters, yeah, I know it's big creatures battling each other but the previous Kong/'Zila movies in this universe at least made a vague attempt at sophistication.

But yeah, as I say, at least it had some nice visual stuff and fun monster action. Bit of a Blade Runner influence in the soundtrack and colourful 'futuristic' cityscapes. Alberon refers to Kong's 'magic' axe, that's exactly what I called it (in my head). No post-credits scene!

Watched alligator horror Crawl after this.

dissolute ocelot

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was flawed but this feels worse. My thoughts:

1. GKotM had a slightly loopy plot but this has essentially no plot other than monster v monster: some people go somewhere and look at things. You have a bunch of reasonably talented thespians (Kyle Chander, Millie Bobbie Brown, Rebecca Hall, Confederate Vampire) who are totally wasted. The little deaf girl was the closest to an actual human character, while the central figures from GKotM did nothing.
2. While GKotM sort of attempted to present a world in the aftermath of a monster attack, this has none of that atmosphere, it feels as if there's basically nobody in the world.
3. Nobody dies. Huge battleships are ripped in 2, buildings demolished, city blocks destroyed, but nobody seems to die: a few people run into a subway but most places are uninhabited. I don't know if this is aimed at sensitive east Asian nations that are happy to capital punish like Al Capone but are too squeamish to watch a tiny CG man fall out of a CG skyscraper.
4. Not enough monsters. Kong looks good, but otherwise it feels kind of cheap.

kalowski

Is Godzooky in it? No Godzooky, no sale.

Spiteface