Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Single Series Dramas

Started by studpuppet, January 25, 2021, 10:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

There have been a few shows recently that have suffered from diminishing returns as the number of series/seasons increases, so I've started looking for decent dramas that are easier to binge (limited number of episodes) and have 'satisfying' conclusions (rather than leaving them open-ended just in case punters want another series). These tend to be based on true stories, but not always.

Ones I've watched recently and thought were recommendable:
Unorthodox
The Terror*
Escape At Dannemora
Unbelievable
Homecoming*

*These are multiple-series, but each one is self-contained.

Things I have in the queue:
Ethos
Informer
The Night Of
Watchmen*

*Currently a self-contained single series - apparently any subsequent episodes won't be a continuation.

Anyone else have recommendations? I don't mind classics I might have forgotten in the 'Edge Of Darkness/Tinker, Tailor' mould - my watching habits in the early 2000s mean I've missed out on some decent things in the last twenty years.

sevendaughters

the king of UK dramas Our Friends In The North fits the bill for me.

I'd also say Heimat. I know there are 3 proper series but they're made so far apart, and do not require you to have seen the previous (really). All incredibly made.

Dekalog? Arguably 10 self-contained stories with some light overlap. Still, incredible.

studpuppet

Yup to the first two (although the various wigs used in OFITN take you out of the drama a bit!)

Done Heimat (partner is German) - also worth watching to Reitz's film prequel, Home From Home.

Dekalog's bang on the money - will chase that down.

buttgammon

Chernobyl is good, and obviously is based on a true story.

Dekalog is great, I'd really recommend it. One of the great things about it is that although it's a series with certain connections, each of the episodes works on its own, and two of them were adapted into feature-length versions (A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love).

sevendaughters

I may as well ask this while I'm here: someone gifted me Wild Palms and I still haven't seen it. Worth it?

Absorb the anus burn

Edge Of Darkness. BBC 1985

The Guardians. LWT 1971

Endicott

G.B.H. CH4 1991

Shooting the Past. BBC2 1999

shiftwork2

Classics-wise, I never tire of watching Das Boot, which translates as The Boot.  I know there are multiple versions and that the cinema release came first but it's the one on BBC2 comprising six hour-long eps that has stayed with me.  Allaaaarrrrrrrrrmmmmm!!!!!!!

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 25, 2021, 11:21:06 AM
I may as well ask this while I'm here: someone gifted me Wild Palms and I still haven't seen it. Worth it?

yeah it's pretty fun.

bgmnts

Cowboy Bebop and Firefly I suppose.

crankshaft

Another vote for GBH - it really is terrific (and is on All 4). A Very British Coup (also on All 4) is very good.

Russell T Davies' Years And Years, A Very English Scandal, The Second Coming and Bob & Rose are all worth watching.

Utter Shit

Buried was brilliant, must be the best part of twenty years ago now but it was a Channel 4 prison drama starring Lennie James. Really, really good.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

State of Play (2003)

Six part BBC serial, written by Paul Abbot. Conspiracy thriller Starring David Morrissey as an MP and John Simm as his journalist friend. The supporting cast is packed with familiar faces, including Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, James McAvoy, Polly Walker and Philip Glenister. It was remade as a Hollywood film, starring Ben Affleck and Russel Crowe, but I've not heard great things about that.

If that leaves you wanting more, Collateral (2018) is very similar, as I recall. It even co-stars John Simm as an MP. Carey Mulligan leads, as a police detective investigating shady goings on. It's only a scant four episodes.

paruses

The Sinner (first series only)
Giri / Haji

Both on Netflix.

I started The Informer the other night and am enjoying. Really like Paddy Considine but he seems to overact a bit in it. Doesn't really detract from the story though.

notjosh

Quote from: crankshaft on January 25, 2021, 01:20:18 PM
Russell T Davies' Years And Years, A Very English Scandal, The Second Coming and Bob & Rose are all worth watching.

Might as well throw in Torchwood: Children of Earth too. It's the third series of Torchwood, but can (and should) be watched as a standalone story.

Agree with A Very British Coup and State of Play above. Also the original House of Cards trilogy is only 12 episodes.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2021, 01:13:44 PM
Cowboy Bebop and Firefly I suppose.
I would wholeheartedly agree with Cowboy Bebop. Assuming you don't bear any prejudice toward anime or science fiction, it's an excellent example of both, with a cracking soundtrack and sense of style to it. The opening credits alone should probably be enough to decide whether you'll like it.

It should probably be noted that Firefly is only a single series due to being cancelled for low ratings. While most of the episodes are standalone, you'll need to also watch the 2005 spinoff film Serenity if you want to see the overarching plotline resolved - not that this should prove a problem, since it's very good.

sevendaughters

A Very British Coup is great!

Dusty Substance

The Night Manager - BBC's excellent adaptation of the John le Carré book. Genuinely one of the best things the Beeb's ever done. I was not a fan of Hiddlestone before watching it but he's superb in The Night Manager. Hugh Laurie excels and Tom Hollander deservedly won a BAFTA.

C_Larence

I remember really enjoying Southcliffe at the time, a four episode drama about a bloke (played by Sean Harris) going on a killing spree in a small town.

Phil_A

Hugo Blick's three dramatic series, The Shadow Line, The Honourable Woman & Black Earth Rising.

Absorb the anus burn

Travelling Man & Floodtide, both from the mid 80s and scripted by Roger Marshall.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phil_A on January 25, 2021, 08:10:27 PM
The Shadow Line

A magnificent series, like a weird fusion of Edge of Darkness, Dennis Potter and Film Noir. Unique.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: crankshaft on January 25, 2021, 01:20:18 PM

It's a Sin too, all five episodes of which are available on All 4. RTD is the reigning monarch of exceptional single series dramas.

Thread here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,84759.0.html

Dex Sawash

Terriers, american buddy cop PI dramedy is quite good.

Thomas

Quote from: paruses on January 25, 2021, 02:20:48 PM
I started The Informer the other night and am enjoying. Really like Paddy Considine but he seems to overact a bit in it. Doesn't really detract from the story though.

I've been intending to start a thread on this. Might do tomorrow.

rjd2

The Virtues.

Done by Shane Meadows starring Steven Graham and set in Ireland, only 4 episodes and should be on ALL4.

peanutbutter

Quote from: buttgammon on January 25, 2021, 11:17:48 AM
Chernobyl is good, and obviously is based on a true story.

Dekalog is great, I'd really recommend it. One of the great things about it is that although it's a series with certain connections, each of the episodes works on its own, and two of them were adapted into feature-length versions (A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love).
I'd say Dekalog barely qualifies as a series and it'd be better to view it as 10 very good tiny films to stick on at a time you want a _SHORT_ feature length film. The connections between them feel more like bonus things than adding much of note to individual stories.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 25, 2021, 10:12:02 PM
Terriers, american buddy cop PI dramedy is quite good.
Yep, iirc it was cancelled and doesn't wrap things up too well?

Boys from the Black Stuff (or GBH, a Bleasdale, basically)
Show Me a Hero (David Simon thing)
Generation Kill (David Simon thing)
the Corner (David Simon thing)
Olive Kitteridge (Lisa Chodolenko/Frances McDormand)
Scenes from a Marriage (Bergman series, Fanny and Alexander might also count but I've only seen the film version)
Riget (well... 8 episodes across 2 seasons)
Berlin Alexanderplatz (bit dated and all but I enjoyed it and it was way more of a TV series than a 15 hour movie like some critics like to claim, totally fine to watch in pieces)
Out 1 (this does feel like a very long meandering film chopped up into 8 parts though, so might be better leaving it for some psychotic marathon)

Always super paranoid about Heimat, whole thing sounds way too overwhelming

paruses

Quote from: Thomas on January 25, 2021, 10:13:53 PM
I've been intending to start a thread on this. Might do tomorrow.
Please do - I might be along enough to comment then - feels like it's just on the edge of tipping into the end game. I couldn't watch tonight because the internet was shit.

Ended up on my slow rewatch of The Sopranos instead  - D Girl. One of my least favourite epsiodes.