Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:16:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Call for people to wear medical-grade masks in shops

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 25, 2021, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteFORMER health secretary Jeremy Hunt has added his voice to those of disease experts calling for medical-grade masks to be compulsory on public transport and in shops.

Some epidemiologists fear that cloth masks, which are often homemade, are not sufficient to deal with the new strains of Covid-19.

Trisha Greenhalgh, a professor of primary care at the University of Oxford, said 'the context has changed' over the course of the pandemic and everyone should be wearing medical-grade coverings.

Prof Greenhalgh tweeted on Sunday: "Double-layer cloth masks seemed OK when a) supplies of PPE were very low, b) virus was less contagious, c) incidence was lower.

"The context has changed. We need to be wearing medical-grade."

Mr Hunt retweeted the post, adding: "I agree."...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19035889.jeremy-hunt-medical-grade-masks-compulsory/

I think they are going to struggle with this one given that people actually wearing masks unless exempt isn't being properly enforced in many areas. They also need to make clear  where the best places to get FFP2 respirator masks are. Otherwise we may get an issue with companies claiming masks are FFP2 when they are not.

Are there enough FFP2 masks on sale at the moment for the general public?

There also needs to be consideration of people on low incomes - I think everyone should get a £200 payment every six months to help cover the cost of buying masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. 

jobotic

Happy to, but the government should supply them. Presumably by their nature they are only used once.

I have two shop bought cloth masks and three home made so that I can always have a clean one, but it'll cost a lot to be chucking medical grade ones away every time you go to the shops.

olliebean

The government should definitely supply them on the grounds that a quick look at Amazon shows a huge range of prices for supposed "FFP2" masks, and left to their own devices people are going to buy the cheapest available, which I presume are dogshit. Also, even the cheap dogshit ones are going to be a significant expense for people who have to wear them daily, compared to reusable cloth masks or the cheap 3-layer disposable ones.

Uncle TechTip

Will we be asked to shave as well, as FFP2 masks aren't as effective with a beard. They're going for up to a fiver each.

Fambo Number Mive

I can't get razors in my local grocery store, so will have to try and order them online.

dissolute ocelot

I thought the reason for cloth masks was that we didn't have enough medical grade masks and we couldn't take supplies away from hospitals. Is there now an overabundance of high-grade PPE?

Realistically the only way this will work is if all the medical masks are free and bright orange so it's easy to spot the dirty spreaders in their novelty Spiderman masks. Maybe make them turn black after they've been worn for a few hours to stop people re-using single use masks too.

thugler

It's a bit fucking late. Christ. And noone will do this now, I see enough unmasked cunts already

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 25, 2021, 12:06:41 PM

There also needs to be consideration of people on low incomes - I think everyone should get a £200 payment every six months to help cover the cost of buying crack and going to brothels

Haven't you listened to a word that Ben Bradley has said?

Sebastian Cobb

Is this a "the masks aren't good enough full stop" kind of thing or a "wear better masks so you you can spend spend spend in more shops" kind of thing?

Dusty Substance

GMTV

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 25, 2021, 03:14:37 PM
Is this a "the masks aren't good enough full stop" kind of thing or a "wear better masks so you you can spend spend spend in more shops" kind of thing?

Pay for a full HAZMAT suit and breathing apparatus on Klarna so you can get back into the shops and build up more debt buying future landfill.