Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alain Tanner

Started by Lost Oliver, January 25, 2021, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Any fans? I saw Charles, Dead or Alive the other day on Mubi and thought it was excellent. Just my kind of film.

Any recommendations on what I should watch next?

chveik

only seen La Salamandre, which is pretty good, strongly influenced by the nouvelle vague and Bulle Ogier is always wonderful

Lost Oliver

Thanks, I'll watch that second. Were him and John Berger bessies or something?

dissolute ocelot

Tanner is brilliant, there's no other director who makes films that are about politics that feel so effortless and natural and un-preachy. I've only seen Charles and Jonah Who Will Be 25 In The Year 2000, but both are great. Jonah (co-written by John Berger) is definitely worth watching: it inspired The Big Chill and Return of the Secaucus Seven, but is much better and more politically astute than either, about a bunch of former young radicals who've all settled on different paths in the mid 70s. It also features adorable French actor Miou-Miou singing a song about the oppression of the masses, and an entertainingly awful teacher who
Spoiler alert
gets fired for telling his class he wants a threesome
[close]
. Plus lots of vegetable farming and tomfoolery.