Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deaths from COVID over 100,000 even by 28 days metric

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 26, 2021, 05:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

100,162 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive Covid test since the start of the pandemic.

Remember when they said 20,000 deaths would be a good outcome?

The BBC comments:

QuoteSome will point a finger at the government - its decision to lock-down later than much of western Europe, the stuttering start to its test-and-trace network, the lack of protection afforded to care home residents.

Others will spotlight deeper rooted problems with British society - its poor state of public health, with high levels of obesity, for example.

Others, still, will note that some of the UK's great strengths - its position as a vibrant hub for international air travel, for example; its ethnically diverse and densely packed urban populations - exposed its vulnerability to a virus that spreads effortlessly in the close air between people.

Personally I think the poor state of public health is partly the responsibility of the government, after all the Tories have been in power since 2010.

I also think "point[ing]" a finger at the government" isn't the best phrasing - after all, they are the ones in charge but it makes it sound like criticism of the government's response are being aggressive and I think it makes them sound a bit unreasonable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757790

As shown in the BBC article, obesity in the UK is actually lower than New Zealand, Australia, Mexico or Portugal, which surprised me. I wasn't surprised obesity was higher in the USA.

Across the world, over 2 million have died from coronavirus. The UK has the fifth highest death rate in the world.

idunnosomename

Don't usually believe in capital punishment but Boris Johnson should be executed

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAsked by Sky News's Sam Coates if some of the deaths could have been prevented, Boris Johnson repeats his comment that the government "did everything we could" to minimise loss of life.

You didn't even come close to doing everything you could, Alex. You could have prioritised lives and health over the wealth of billionaires and raised taxes on the rich to help fund an increase in sick pay so people could afford to isolate, for example. You could have done so much more.

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 26, 2021, 05:15:14 PM
Don't usually believe in capital punishment but Boris Johnson should be executed

In a way, it's a blessing that the Tories are running this. If you think members of the general public breaking lockdown and refusing to take vaccines due to "fascist global communism" is depressing now, imagine how much fuss they would make if Labour were in power.

Fambo Number Mive

I see Johnson's hair is a total mess. Just no respect.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 26, 2021, 05:15:14 PM

But he was so funny on Have I Got News For You

idunnosomename

he wasn't really, it was only because everyone took the piss out of him. at least the first time.

while there's an almost unanimous hatred of him online now, with your real-world little old ladies and white van men you know "he's doing his best". absolute fucking shitshow of an island.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 26, 2021, 05:40:02 PM
I see Johnson's hair is a total mess. Just no respect.

Just spoke to a (North) Macedonian friend after 8 years and she said 'I think he is funny, its his hair...and then I saw his dad had the same hair'. Another 8 years it is then...

poo

Emma Raducanu

That BBC article felt like an exercise in clutching at straws.

Chedney Honks

What do they reckon, ten percent of cunts have had it?

Could be a cool mill down the morgue by close of play.

Really want to watch a Summoning Salt World Record Progression vid on fastest deadliest diseases before it gets me.

Beagle 2

Has anybody else noticed the amount of pricks saying that it's an illusion/death rates are no greater than usual/Bill Gates magic robot juice etc has really started to die down on the socials over the last couple of weeks? Not just the likes of Toby Young deleting their tweets but the thick uncles as well. I dunno, maybe I just blocked them all. Maybe they're all dead.

imitationleather

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid I have to say that Toby Young is not dead.

paruses

Quote from: imitationleather on January 26, 2021, 10:55:49 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid I have to say that Toby Young is not dead.

Oh that's awful. So sad now.

idunnosomename

incredible.

stop this shitty island, i want to get off. and kill myself

shiftwork2

shiftwork2

Possibly the worst performance in the world on this, as well as the greatest economic damage. But he's fine - he doesn't even care.

Who voted this twat in?

Cold Meat Platter

Time for him to get the Luger out of the drawer and do the decent thing.

idunnosomename

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 26, 2021, 11:47:08 PM
Possibly the worst performance in the world on this, as well as the greatest economic damage. But he's fine - he doesn't even care.

Who voted this twat in?
those four rags basically. also the times had a lot to do with it but they went with a more sober cover

that said, the times always has it in for johnson since he was fired for twisting a story on Edward II's Thames palace just so he could make a bumming joke

Petey Pate

Saying you 'take full responsibility' is just an attempt at neutralising yourself of any real responsibility.  If he actually took responsibility he'd at least resign or better yet, go to prison.

idunnosomename

If he was running a company and let a good proportion of it die like this he'd be tried for criminal negligence so i dont know why being in charge of a country should be any different

Thomas

We know he takes full responsibility - back in March last year he promised us 'many more families are going to lose loved ones'. He's simply stuck to his pledge.

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 27, 2021, 11:14:08 AM
If he was running a company and let a good proportion of it die like this he'd be tried for criminal negligence so i dont know why being in charge of a country should be any different

If he was running a company, rather than a country, he probably wouldn't give all its money to his mates' companies.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

The Real story is..."BUTTER AIN'T SO BAD FOR YOU"

Tub up, lads, Tub the fuck up!

idunnosomename

he should die 100,000 deaths. should I start an internet petition? like we used to with Brexit?

Captain Z

Will the last person alive in the UK please erect the "Just imagine how much worse it would have been under Corbyn" sign.

Blinder Data

just imagine those newspapers' front pages if a labour PM presided over 100k deaths. the level of shit they gave Gordon Brown was toxic, and he actually managed the economic crisis pretty well.

the question is, do we think we can reach 200k? I think it's well within our power #believeinbritain

Johnson just now in PMQs:

Quote"There will be a time to learn the lessons and reflect on them. But that moment is not now."

200,000 nailed on.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteWhat the country wants is for us to come together to keep the virus under control and continue to roll out the fastest vaccination programme in the world," he says.

Both of which would surely be aided by reflecting and learning from what has happened.

I presume the "time" will be 2025 or later.