Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish Politics: Douglas Ross' Magic Roundabout

Started by canadagoose, January 26, 2021, 09:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

OK, I've just decided to go for it and start a thread. Here are some things you might want to talk about.

• Who do you think will win the Scottish Labour leadership contest?
  • What do you reckon about the Greens' chances?
  • Willie Rennie!!!!
And please feel free to do this:

Quote from: the hum on January 26, 2021, 09:59:52 PM
A catch-all thread, if nothing else so that we don't have to wearily retread arguments from years ago (oil!) would be handy I think.

Enjoy!

canadagoose

the hum

Here's your starter... What's with Andy Wightman's decision to quit the Greens?

"On 18 December 2020, Wightman announced his resignation from the Scottish Greens following a vote on an amendment to the Forensic Services Bill, alleging that while the Party had "a strong commitment to equalities and trans rights", it displayed "intolerance" by doing so."

One of the best brains on land reform there is. Maybe not so clued-up elsewhere?

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on January 26, 2021, 10:28:19 PM
Here's your starter... What's with Andy Wightman's decision to quit the Greens?

"On 18 December 2020, Wightman announced his resignation from the Scottish Greens following a vote on an amendment to the Forensic Services Bill, alleging that while the Party had "a strong commitment to equalities and trans rights", it displayed "intolerance" by doing so."

One of the best brains on land reform there is. Maybe not so clued-up elsewhere?
He's got Glinnerian brain worms. He'll be doing a cover of You've Turned Off Replies before long. For some reason, hatred of trans people, particularly women, seems to take precedence over everything in affected people's brains. Maybe it's a bit like CJD.

the hum

Yeah just did some googling on it and it seems he's part of the Cherry-sphere on that front. My local MSP, the "rising star" Kate Forbes, was a signatory to that concern-trolling letter a year or two back.

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on January 26, 2021, 10:58:29 PM
Yeah just did some googling on it and it seems he's part of the Cherry-sphere on that front. My local MSP, the "rising star" Kate Forbes, was a signatory to that concern-trolling letter a year or two back.
Oh yeah, I remember that. I'd rather have Forbes in leadership than Cherry but it's like choosing a glass of piss over a glass of diarrhoea.

In general I'm absolutely sick of the fake-progressives in Scottish politics who like to call themselves "left-wing" but who mysteriously seem to align with Trumpers and don't care about racism, antisemitism, homophobia etc. There was a tweet I saw recently from one of them saying something like "you're out of touch, most Scots agree with me" and I was just thinking, that's a bit fashy, isn't it. Minorities are just an inconvenience to that bunch.

Edit: And saying your politics are good compared to the Tories under Johnson. Bit like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it? It doesn't take much to be more ethical than those shites.

canadagoose

Got a leaflet from Labour today, advertising their candidate "Name Surname". Apparently it went out all over the Lothians.

So far I've mostly seen Green posters in windows. Saw a Daniel Johnson (Lab) poster when I was on the bus yesterday, mind.

greencalx

Quote from: canadagoose on April 07, 2021, 05:04:33 AM
Got a leaflet from Labour today, advertising their candidate "Name Surname". Apparently it went out all over the Lothians.

Further evidence that "Scottish Labour" is nothing more than a fax machine in a dusty New Town basement.

Don't think Johnson stands much chance of keeping his seat. There's a reason why he's at the top of the list as well as being the constituency candidate. Apparently all top-list men candidates were asked permission to move the top voted woman to the top of the list, and Johnson declined.

I wouldn't set too much store by posters. I think one would only want to display a Labour poster if one has a glazier on standby.

I genuinely don't know who to vote for - but I note there's a thread for that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on April 07, 2021, 05:04:33 AM

LOL that is impressively incompetent.

Sebastian Cobb

Had a look on twitter and it's not just Lothian!

jobotic

It's pronounced Nar-mee Sur-nar-mee you racists.

stonkers

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 07, 2021, 09:35:39 AM
Had a look on twitter and it's not just Lothian!

Yeah I got the same. I think it's intentional and it's just meant to show the layout of the ballot paper but that still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Jumblegraws

SNP party political broadcast from last night practically begging people to make 1984 comparisons. Idiots.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: stonkers on April 07, 2021, 09:57:54 AM
Yeah I got the same. I think it's intentional and it's just meant to show the layout of the ballot paper but that still doesn't make a lot of sense.
I'm sure it's deliberate but it looks as if Labour, like everyone else, has no idea who their candidates are. Last time round they had a well-known councillor standing for the Scottish Parliament in my constituency, this time someone who boasts they're "standing for elected office for the first time". Next time maybe my neighbours' dog will stand.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 07, 2021, 10:20:17 AM

SNP party political broadcast from last night practically begging people to make 1984 comparisons. Idiots.

It surprised me how negative and doomy this was. Interesting from a party and movement that has usually, in its public face anyway, been quite upbeat and positive.

dissolute ocelot

UKIP were doing a photo-call outside the Scottish Parliament yesterday. Calling for the abolition of the Scottish Parliament. You'd look pretty silly standing next to a hole with your greasy hair and cheap suits you bought online. Still it's nice to know someone's paying for them to have a fun day out in these trying times. Didn't seem to be socially distancing but they probably live in a dormitory/are all related/aren't human.

canadagoose

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 08, 2021, 05:56:30 PM
UKIP were doing a photo-call outside the Scottish Parliament yesterday. Calling for the abolition of the Scottish Parliament. You'd look pretty silly standing next to a hole with your greasy hair and cheap suits you bought online. Still it's nice to know someone's paying for them to have a fun day out in these trying times. Didn't seem to be socially distancing but they probably live in a dormitory/are all related/aren't human.
Can't believe UKIP are still going. I wonder who will bother voting for them.

the hum

Quote from: canadagoose on April 09, 2021, 03:30:34 AM
Can't believe UKIP are still going. I wonder who will bother voting for them.

The ultra Yoons are spoilt for choice, between them, ReFuck and some abolish the Scottish parliament outfit.

king_tubby

Sebastian Cobb

the hum

Gosh! Who could possibly have foreseen this happening??

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on April 10, 2021, 09:42:44 PM
Gosh! Who could possibly have foreseen this happening??
Heh yeah, it's been a long time coming. At least they're mostly split off from the SNP now.

dissolute ocelot

the hum

Quote from: canadagoose on April 11, 2021, 12:13:52 AM
Heh yeah, it's been a long time coming. At least they're mostly split off from the SNP now.

Does rather point to Alba being a Pandora's box which Salmond has little real organisational control over. It also suggests he's pretty hopeless in a leadership role where he lacks decent advisors surrounding him.

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on April 11, 2021, 08:20:07 PM
Does rather point to Alba being a Pandora's box which Salmond has little real organisational control over. It also suggests he's pretty hopeless in a leadership role where he lacks decent advisors surrounding him.
Does he care? Does he fuck. All he seems to want is power, even if it's the worst sort of politics behind it.

dissolute ocelot

If the Alba Party is successful, there will be a referendum and then a Yes vote and their job is done and they can all go home. But Salmond probably still fancies himself as Prime Minister of an independent Scotland. Maybe he sees a gap for him post-independence as Lord of the Gammons, and this is just him raising his standard or building a power base for the real game.

Zetetic

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 07, 2021, 10:20:17 AM

Also it spends the first half establishing a visual grammar of "stuff projected on the walls behind this person is about broken Britain" (sort of fudges the issue with the EU flag, but still), and the shift to Sturgeon on some TVs - still behind this person - still broadly falls into that.