Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish Politics: Douglas Ross' Magic Roundabout

Started by canadagoose, January 26, 2021, 09:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Just nice to have a reason to get out of the house isn't it

canadagoose

A few more results in. Aberdeen Donside:

Not a particularly astounding result, but that's a fairly high Tory vote. They seem to have a slight foothold in NE Scotland - I suspect they'll get Banff and Buchan, but they'll probably lose seats further south.

canadagoose

Also reports of fascist filth at the Glasgow Southside count. Urgh.

canadagoose

Quote from: canadagoose on May 07, 2021, 01:55:43 PM
I suspect they'll get Banff and Buchan, but they'll probably lose seats further south.
Honk. They didn't get it. DRoss must be cacking himself.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: canadagoose on May 07, 2021, 02:10:42 PM
Also reports of fascist filth at the Glasgow Southside count. Urgh.

Nazi salutes as they left the building.

canadagoose

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on May 07, 2021, 03:05:19 PM
Nazi salutes as they left the building.
It's honestly disgusting, I hope they get the book thrown at them.

greencalx

63% turnout in Ed Central apparently. (Holyrood turnout is usually in the 50s)

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on May 07, 2021, 03:12:52 PM
63% turnout in Ed Central apparently. (Holyrood turnout is usually in the 50s)
It seems quite high all over - I'm interested to hear what the turnout was in N & Leith but won't find out until tomorrow.

greencalx

East Lothian is the first seat to change hands: Lab to SNP (naturally). I think my father-in-law may be responsible.

Cuellar

Quote from: canadagoose on May 07, 2021, 03:02:55 PM
Honk. They didn't get it. DRoss must be cacking himself.

I notice a big swing to Tory - but were they actually hoping to take it?

canadagoose

Quote from: Cuellar on May 07, 2021, 04:03:34 PM
I notice a big swing to Tory - but were they actually hoping to take it?
I think it was their best hope of taking a seat. I imagine they'll be very disappointed that they didn't get it.

The East Lothian result isn't completely unexpected, but it was still pretty tight. I don't know what it means for the other seats that might flip (Ayr, Dumfriesshire, etc).

imitationleather

lolololol Britain First woman got 46 votes.

Kankurette

canadagoose

Quote from: imitationleather on May 07, 2021, 04:13:05 PM
Ha! What a berk.

One thing is for sure, it's odd seeing vote counts of 20,000+ for one party in Scottish Parliament elections. That high turnout again, I guess.

imitationleather

Why did Anas Sarwar stand against Sturgeon? Seems a bit odd.

canadagoose

Quote from: imitationleather on May 07, 2021, 04:15:39 PM
Why did Anas Sarwar stand against Sturgeon? Seems a bit odd.
Seems like a publicity thing to me. Opposing Sturgeon in her own back yard, that sort of thing. He did quite respectably considering.

Anyone expecting any shockers over the next couple of days?

Edit: I see the SNP got surprisingly close to taking Shetland from the Lib Dems (806 votes). That's fairly surprising I suppose.

greencalx

Isn't it the constituency he lives in? Vaguely remember hearing that somewhere. But, yes, not a good look for the leader to get voted in on the list.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on May 07, 2021, 04:13:05 PM

She got 56 when she stood here in 2014. Ten less fascists in Glasgow.

canadagoose

Willie Rennie!!! got a fair majority this time around - a bit over 7,000. Tories collapsed to 5.8%, borderline deposit-losing territory. Suspect a bit of tactical voting may have been involved.

imitationleather

Quote from: jobotic on May 07, 2021, 04:29:02 PM
She got 56 when she stood here in 2014. Ten less fascists in Glasgow.

Almost like the publicity she gets is massively disproportionate to her actual appeal.

greencalx

I'm not so sure about the tactical voting aspect. When it's an incumbent who holds onto their seat (or increases their majority) the more likely explanation is that they are well-known and respected locally. Certainly I would never vote for the Tories just to keep the SNP out, and I'm sure many other people would find the suggestion equally insulting.

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on May 07, 2021, 04:48:02 PM
I'm not so sure about the tactical voting aspect. When it's an incumbent who holds onto their seat (or increases their majority) the more likely explanation is that they are well-known and respected locally. Certainly I would never vote for the Tories just to keep the SNP out, and I'm sure many other people would find the suggestion equally insulting.
Well, true, Willie Rennie is well-liked. I just find 6% an awfully low percentage for the Tories in a relatively-affluent seat.

greencalx

Well, I guess a Tory wouldn't find it too much of a stretch voting for a Lib Dem, particularly someone like Rennie who does seem like a decent enough sort. Does that count as "tactical voting"? You are allowed to vote for different parties from time to time?

I guess I get annoyed as it's the standard reason cited for any Labour candidate winning a constituency seat. Can never be that they might have won on their own terms.

Talking of which, are Labour looking to win any constituency seats? Looking a bit unlikely from where I'm sitting. There were only 4 last time by the look of it, and one of those is already gone.

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on May 07, 2021, 05:04:48 PM
Well, I guess a Tory wouldn't find it too much of a stretch voting for a Lib Dem, particularly someone like Rennie who does seem like a decent enough sort. Does that count as "tactical voting"? You are allowed to vote for different parties from time to time?

I guess I get annoyed as it's the standard reason cited for any Labour candidate winning a constituency seat. Can never be that they might have won on their own terms.

Talking of which, are Labour looking to win any constituency seats? Looking a bit unlikely from where I'm sitting. There were only 4 last time by the look of it, and one of those is already gone.
They'll be hoping to hold Edin South and Dumbarton I imagine?

Also, on a different note:

Quote from: Fatima JojiAberdeen Donside regionals
SNP 16233!!!!! The highest
Grinning face with smiling eyes
Alba 743
Tories 8849
Greens 1764
Labour 5283
LD 1728
UKIP 71
Haha, Alba 743. What a damp squib.

greencalx

Quote from: canadagoose on May 07, 2021, 05:12:44 PM
They'll be hoping to hold Edin South and Dumbarton I imagine?

I'm sure they are hoping for a lot of things that aren't gonna happen. I'd be surprised if Johnson wins this time round.

Haha, Alba 743. What a damp squib.

Yeah all mouth, no trousers.

greencalx

Anti-SNP tactical voting is at the 2-3pt level according to J Curtice, so likely only relevant in super marginals.

the hum

SNP gain Ayr by about 100 votes, been Tory since a by-election in 2000 iirc. Looks like a small percentage of Lab voters switched tactically to the SNP.

Most startling thing so far was the huge swing towards SNP in Shetland.

A tentative haha re Alba. I'm nervous the Greens will fall short of poll predictions though, and we won't find out til tomorrow.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought/hoped Greens would stand to do quite well given the 2nd vote thing. If Alba are potentially getting humped then where else could they go given Lab/Con vote splitting.

the hum

Rumours the Tories have conceded Edinburgh Central...

greencalx

Big swing in Ed West from SNP to LD, increasing the latter's majority. Not sure I can construct a narrative for that. Vaguely recall some sort of controversy around Cole-Hamilton but might have misremembered.