Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish Politics: Douglas Ross' Magic Roundabout

Started by canadagoose, January 26, 2021, 09:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on May 05, 2021, 07:36:11 PM
My wife will add this to her collection. The one thing to be said about a Scottish election campaign is that Willie Rennie never misses an opportunity for a daft PR stunt.

As for me, I genuinely don't know how I'll vote tomorrow. The constituency ticket is uninspiring: three centrists (Lab, LD and SNP), forum favourite Miles "Bloated Rodent" Briggs batting for the Tories and a Scottish Family Values nutter whose approach to promoting Family Values is to taser your kids if they've not done their homework. I suppose if I was bothered one way or the other about Indy that would make it easier, but I have neither any kind of attachment to The Union or any real expectation that independence will unleash a torrent of progressive politics. I guess I'd rather have Labour - even Starmwar-style Labour - in second place over the Tories, so maybe I'll hold my nose and vote for them.

Or I could soil my ballot. (Voting in person, so that option is at least open).
Seems fair enough to me; I don't think Daniel Johnson is the worst, even if he is more of a New Labour type.

Quote from: the humI still think Salmond's "profile" might be enough to squeak him a seat in the North East, but anything beyond that is going to require some wild regional variations. Only other real possibility is in H&I, but there's likely a big squeeze on there for the final list seat between them, SNP, a second Green, and Andy Wightman (which might ultimately end up letting in another Tory).

And it'll likely be Saturday afternoon before we find out.
I forgot about Wightman. That'll certainly be a region to watch.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: the hum on May 05, 2021, 07:43:19 PM
I still think Salmond's "profile" might be enough to squeak him a seat in the North East, but anything beyond that is going to require some wild regional variations. Only other real possibility is in H&I, but there's likely a big squeeze on there for the final list seat between them, SNP, a second Green, and Andy Wightman (which might ultimately end up letting in another Tory).

And it'll likely be Saturday afternoon before we find out.
The regional list doesn't have candidates names on it, does it? I'd imagine a lot would see Salmond's name and vote purely out of not realising he had left the SNP. But I don't suppose the likes of Kenny MacAskill or Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh really have much following. It's interesting though, do enough SNP supporters hate the Scottish Greens? In rural constituencies they're quite attached to their motor cars, and may well enjoy animal cruelty, and hate young people. If they do, it would be the logical second vote.

canadagoose

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 05, 2021, 07:52:49 PM
The regional list doesn't have candidates names on it, does it? I'd imagine a lot would see Salmond's name and vote purely out of not realising he hadn't left the SNP. But I don't suppose the likes of Kenny MacAskill or Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh really have much following. It's interesting though, do enough SNP supporters hate the Scottish Greens? In rural constituencies they're quite attached to their motor cars, and may well enjoy animal cruelty, and hate young people. If they do, it would be the logical second vote.
When I got my postal vote it came with a slip of paper that listed the regional candidates - I assume in-person voters will get the same thing? Maybe not, mind.

the hum

Quote from: canadagoose on May 05, 2021, 07:49:36 PM
I forgot about Wightman. That'll certainly be a region to watch.

Just realised I said "there" when referring to the Highlands & Islands when it's technically "here" for me. I possibly had a current bugbear in the back of my mind, which is the absurdity of the H&I list "region", which stretches 420-odd miles from the Mull of Kintyre, to Yell in Shetland. Not sure how any even well intentioned list MSP is expected to properly represent it.

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on May 05, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Just realised I said "there" when referring to the Highlands & Islands when it's technically "here" for me. I possibly had a current bugbear in the back of my mind, which is the absurdity of the H&I list "region", which stretches 420-odd miles from the Mull of Kintyre, to Yell in Shetland. Not sure how any even well intentioned list MSP is expected to properly represent it.
It's a big one, isn't it. South Scotland is bad enough (how much land does that cover?!) but when you've got the remoteness of the Highlands and Islands to contend with, it mustn't be easy.

the hum

Quote from: canadagoose on May 05, 2021, 08:16:20 PM
South Scotland is bad enough (how much land does that cover?!)

About 5,000 square miles....and possibly as many as two estates.

the hum

Quote from: canadagoose on May 05, 2021, 08:16:20 PM
It's a big one, isn't it. South Scotland is bad enough (how much land does that cover?!) but when you've got the remoteness of the Highlands and Islands to contend with, it mustn't be easy.

Shetland is actually closer to Oslo than Campeltown, with a bit to spare (sorry, seem to be full of geo nerdery this evening).

canadagoose

Quote from: the hum on May 05, 2021, 10:41:49 PM
Shetland is actually closer to Oslo than Campeltown, with a bit to spare (sorry, seem to be full of geo nerdery this evening).
Ha, there you go. I suppose that's the downside of having regions divided by population.

ajsmith2

As I live in Wishaw, I will have the option of voting for Count Dankula standing for the Scottish Libertarians. Not planning to though.

ProvanFan

I got this Captain Planet toy out of Beattie's in Wishaw in the early 90s. Wanted a remote controlled car but Hoggish Greedly is what I got.

Remember this when you cast your votes.

Dr Trouser

Hope Ross Greer gets run over by a diesel guzzling 4x4 on the way to the polling station. Nastiest, thickest politician I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

greencalx

Hmmm, polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it. Had assumed I'd be the only one, with everyone else voting by post.

ProvanFan

Yeah Ross Greer used to bully me at school

Still does

the hum

Quote from: Dr Trouser on May 06, 2021, 08:25:45 AM
Hope Ross Greer gets run over by a diesel guzzling 4x4 on the way to the polling station. Nastiest, thickest politician I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Hey Stu!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr Trouser on May 06, 2021, 08:25:45 AM
From Wikipedia
QuoteHe took part in the Debating Matters competition in 2012, where he reached the national final
Anyone who has ever debated competitively should be banned from ever expressing an opinion in public.

jobotic

Sturgeon calls out Fransen for what she is

https://mobile.twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1390336734697828362

Imagine if we had more politicians who would do that. Keith would have agreed with her then later given a half hearted apology and pretended he didn't know who she was.

Zetetic

In fairness, Keith started a fight with a landlord in his own pub.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: greencalx on May 06, 2021, 09:07:12 AM
Hmmm, polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it. Had assumed I'd be the only one, with everyone else voting by post.
I voted at 2pm and mine was fairly quiet (saw 3 or 4 voters in total split over 2 stations), but it's never been terribly busy in the past. Everybody was very nice and helpful, and didn't feel too Covidy. Regional list paper was incredibly long and every party having the word Scottish in its name really didn't help. I didn't want to hang around and read it all, but Googled later and I'm confident I didn't miss out on anyone. No idea the difference between Reform and Renew, or exactly how many parties exist purely to protest lockdown (maybe Freedom Alliance are George Michael fans?). Are the Social Democratic Party standing in the elections really the rump of David Owen's lot, who seem to have a website? Can't they just die?

Blinder Data

Reform is Farage, Renew is like a grassroots Change UK. Both are pure shite.

mobias

West end polling station the busiest I've ever seen it today in Edinburgh. A good sign. Both votes SNP for me. Angus Robertson for the local seat.

Old Nehamkin

Have the number of polling booths not also been reduced to comply with social distancing, though?

canadagoose

Feels weird not having been to a polling station on election day (I did a postal vote). Interested to see what the first results tomorrow will look like.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 06, 2021, 11:00:47 PM
Have the number of polling booths not also been reduced to comply with social distancing, though?
Where I voted there were fewer booths than sometimes, but they were as close together as ever (standard-sized booths in a block with no attempt at distancing). I think they might anticipate fewer voters with postal votes up etc.

Kankurette

Go Ed, Nicola. Shame she didn't lamp the fascist scumbag. So what if your grandad fought the Nazis, Jayda, I'm sure Mark Collett's did too and he's still a Hitler licker. And why's she complaining about foreigners when she's one herself?

ETA: Hang on a mo, Galloway's attacking Yusaf for being Asian? The same Galloway who courted the Muslim vote and has a Palestinian wife?

canadagoose

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2021, 01:36:39 AM
Go Ed, Nicola. Shame she didn%u2019t lamp the fascist scumbag. So what if your grandad fought the Nazis, Jayda, I%u2019m sure Mark Collett%u2019s did too and he%u2019s still a Hitler licker. And why%u2019s she complaining about foreigners when she%u2019s one herself?

ETA: Hang on a mo, Galloway%u2019s attacking Yusaf for being Asian? The same Galloway who courted the Muslim vote and has a Palestinian wife?
It's because he's a wee grifting shite who will say anything to get elected. He's a horrid piece of work and I hope he doesn't get in. (This time around he is courting the Orange Order / staunch Rangers crowd with his "All 4 Unity" arch-unionist effort. Probably why he's turning up the old racism dial.)

Kind of fearing there may be an unpleasant surprise in Scotland in the form of some Alba seats. Imagine Chris pissing McEleny, Inverclyde's biggest brain donor, in parliament. Makes you sick.

Kankurette

I doubt he will. He's a crank. Actually, he's gone after other Asian politicians before, didn't he target Naz Shah? I'm surprised he's targeting Unionists though. They're raging Zionists and he hates Israel.

You seem to have more nutjobs than we do in England. Anti-lockdown types, a Dutch far right activist, fundamentalist Christians...and Galloway.

canadagoose

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2021, 01:43:57 AM
I doubt he will. He%u2019s a crank. Actually, he%u2019s gone after other Asian politicians before, didn%u2019t he target Naz Shah? I%u2019m surprised he%u2019s targeting Unionists though. They%u2019re raging Zionists and he hates Israel.

You seem to have more nutjobs than we do in England. Anti-lockdown types, a Dutch far right activist, fundamentalist Christians...and Galloway.
We have the added "advantage" of PR, so the daft crank parties have more of a chance. I do like PR but the arseholes do get on my nerves. Scotland is also a strange place in general I reckon (I say this as a Scot obviously), with a lot of rarely-discussed (in mainstream discourse) conspiracy bollocks circulating.

canadagoose

One result in: LD hold for Orkney. Also bears shit in woods, etc

Edit: it's also looking shite for the Tories and Alba, which is nice

Blinder Data

apparently we could see highest ever turnout at Holyrood elections, at least in some areas

i suspect the SNP would be biggest beneficiaries of that. they lost seats at UKGE in 2017 by failing to get the vote out and won't make that mistake again

greens will gain list seats. I can see Scottish Labour increasing percentage of votes but losing seats overall, a brilliant defeat

canadagoose

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 07, 2021, 01:26:14 PM
apparently we could see highest ever turnout at Holyrood elections, at least in some areas

i suspect the SNP would be biggest beneficiaries of that. they lost seats at UKGE in 2017 by failing to get the vote out and won't make that mistake again

greens will gain list seats. I can see Scottish Labour increasing percentage of votes but losing seats overall, a brilliant defeat
I heard about the highest turnout thing. Interesting. Did lockdown make people think more about politics or something?

I wasn't sure about Labour's percentage increasing, but Sarwar wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be so maybe. Douglas Ross is so dire that that might have driven people to Labour too.