Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:10:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Go Faster Stripe Recommendations

Started by markburgle, January 27, 2021, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

I've been a member of their monthly pay-a-fiver thing for a while, got 6 download credits I haven't used yet. Can anyone recommend anything really good of theirs? Quite a lot's come out since the last thread.

I'm interested in Simon Munnery but don't know what's best of his. Already got Andy Saltzman, Arnold Brown and all SLee's stuff. Not interested in Richard Herring. What yer reckon?

frajer

Adam Buxton's Old Bits provided me with many hearty chuckles. Even the name made me smile typing it out then!

John-Luke Roberts has got a couple of shows on there. I haven't actually seen them, but the last time I caught one of his previous shows at the fringe he was outstanding.

Would recommend

John Luke Roberts - All I Wanna do.....
Kevin Eldon is Titting About
Tony Law - Maximum Nonsense
Simon Munnery - Fylm Makker

markburgle

Great cheers, I'll check those out (except I wasn't keen on Kevin Eldon from what I saw on the Alternative Comedy Experience (or Comedy Vehicle Red Button extras, can't remember which). Is that stuff representative of him?)

Quote from: markburgle on January 27, 2021, 01:25:35 PM
Great cheers, I'll check those out (except I wasn't keen on Kevin Eldon from what I saw on the Alternative Comedy Experience (or Comedy Vehicle Red Button extras, can't remember which). Is that stuff representative of him?)

To be honest yeah, think there's an overlap of material so might not be for you if you've not liked what you've already seen. Go with Tony Law first, that was the show he got nominated for the Edinburgh award, he can sometimes be inconsistent, but that show is gold all the way through.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: markburgle on January 27, 2021, 12:06:42 PM

I'm interested in Simon Munnery but don't know what's best of his.

His show "Hello" is excellent. It's like a greatest hits of Simon Munnery.

RicoMNKN

If you like Munnery and do e-books, then Robert Wringham's I Am Nothing is a really enjoyable read about his work in the 90s, and I think available as a download from the club.

Pink Gregory

Bethany Black's show was a surprise hit.  She's ace.

+1 for Adam Buxton's Old Bits, just pure silliness.

the two Seymour Mace sets are utter nonsense, but also very funny.

Also enjoyed Rachel Fairburn and Thom Tuck's shows.

jsgibble

Bec Hill

Spoiler alert
think all of Munnery's GFS stuff is on soulseek
[close]

KennyMonster

Mark Thomas' stuff is on Gofasterstripe isn't it?
(might make up for the Zaltzman purchase).

Pink Gregory

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 30, 2021, 09:36:52 AM
Mark Thomas' stuff is on Gofasterstripe isn't it?
(might make up for the Zaltzman purchase).

Three pack of The Red Shed, Bravo Figaro and Walking the Wall (I think?)

vainsharpdad

I think Herring's standup is a little bit underrated,
myself.

markburgle

I did used to like Herring but went off him. Haven't actually watched the Zaltsman yet (and haven't seen any Mark Thomas since his channel 4 days, what's he like these days? The same? Better? Worse?).

Gotta say GFS is proving hard going so far. I originally subscribed because I had some spare dough, thought they were a good thing in principle and wanted to support them. But I hadn't actually used any of my downloads yet.

I watched John Luke Roberts "All I Wanna Do..." last night. It started with a very annoying Chaucer character and nothing funny happened for a good 10 minutes. I nearly bailed, but I did end up liking most of it to be fair. Unfortunately Chaucer kept coming back which coloured my impression of it all.

Tried Arthur Brown today, gave up after 20 minutes. The audience at the taping didn't seem keen either. So far GFS feels like it's representing the annoying end of alternative comedy, where people lean way too hard on whimsy and eccentricity and you're left wondering where the jokes are.

All the same thanks for the recommendations, got Tony Law, Zaltsman and some Munnery lined up next

billyandthecloneasaurus

I saw j l Roberts at Edinburgh and really didn't enjoy it, but I was really hungover.

mrspangles

Wil Hodgson - Hatful Of Hodgson is a great, intimate show from a pub in Chippenham, and there's tons of extras as well. Great VFM.

frajer

Quote from: markburgle on January 31, 2021, 11:50:03 PM
I did used to like Herring but went off him. Haven't actually watched the Zaltsman yet (and haven't seen any Mark Thomas since his channel 4 days, what's he like these days? The same? Better? Worse?).

Gotta say GFS is proving hard going so far. I originally subscribed because I had some spare dough, thought they were a good thing in principle and wanted to support them. But I hadn't actually used any of my downloads yet.

I watched John Luke Roberts "All I Wanna Do..." last night. It started with a very annoying Chaucer character and nothing funny happened for a good 10 minutes. I nearly bailed, but I did end up liking most of it to be fair. Unfortunately Chaucer kept coming back which coloured my impression of it all.

Tried Arthur Brown today, gave up after 20 minutes. The audience at the taping didn't seem keen either. So far GFS feels like it's representing the annoying end of alternative comedy, where people lean way too hard on whimsy and eccentricity and you're left wondering where the jokes are.

All the same thanks for the recommendations, got Tony Law, Zaltsman and some Munnery lined up next

I had a subscription to GoFasterStripe as I wanted to support them but unfortunately found it hard-going too. Sounds like they've changed their system to a credits-based one where you can choose your download? When I was a member, you got that month's new release added to your account, whatever it happened to be.

But I'll forever hold a torch for GoFasterStripe though as they leapt in and saved Stewart Lee's 90s Comedian from going unfilmed, one of my all-time favourite stand-up sets.

Pink Gregory

I think it's maybe changed during the pandemic, probably a year's worth of filming wouldn't have gone ahead etc.

You get free livestream/Q&A tickets with the club at least; they recently did something with the Mark Thomas Comedy Product which was stream-only for now.

frajer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 01, 2021, 02:55:45 PM
I think it's maybe changed during the pandemic, probably a year's worth of filming wouldn't have gone ahead etc.

You get free livestream/Q&A tickets with the club at least; they recently did something with the Mark Thomas Comedy Product which was stream-only for now.

Ah yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Might restart my sub and see what's new. I've always been massively impressed with the quality and the dedication to filming sets that otherwise wouldn't get filmed, let alone be released in HD with tasty bonus features.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 27, 2021, 02:21:02 PM
His show "Hello" is excellent. It's like a greatest hits of Simon Munnery.

Second this.

Saw these live- Tom Parry- Yellow T-shirt, Seymour Mace Gets Sucked Off By God, Sean Hughes- Penguins and Life Becomes Noises. Recommend all of them, definitely. Life Becomes Noises is really something; yes it's a 'dead dad' show, but it's done with such warmth and humour, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Penguins is also great but a more traditional stand-up show.

Quote from: mrspangles on February 01, 2021, 10:21:19 AM
Wil Hodgson - Hatful Of Hodgson is a great, intimate show from a pub in Chippenham, and there's tons of extras as well. Great VFM.

Cheers, I'll give that a spin. Love the cover.

Pink Gregory

Oh god, somehow forgot about my favourite standup Wil Hodgson.  Three of his shows on there.

paruses

I bought Ian D. Montfort's Unbelievable. Tom Binns' psychic medium playing to a smallish audience. It's about 10 years old now. I really enjoyed it and it builds very nicely throughout from what looks like it might be a one joke show. Ha me laughing nicely throughout.

Couldn't say if it's still available as a download but recommend as something a bit different.

Pink Gregory

I think it is, nothing's gone away.

OH!

There's a Lou Sanders show on there that's pretty good.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 06, 2021, 11:24:40 PM
OH!

There's a Lou Sanders show on there that's pretty good.

I can vouch for that. Really enjoyed this one. It's properly demented, barely marketable lunacy. God Bless Go Faster Stripe.

On the subject of downloads, I think most things are downloadable there now. Certainly if you buy a DVD like in Victorian times, it automatically goes to your download area as well (forever AND along with anything else you've bought recently or in the past).

Custard

Just another recommendation for Buxton's Old Bits. Watched it last night, and was cackling throughout

THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERRRRRE