Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Whats's Worth Watching On Amazon Prime Then?

Started by Dr Rock, January 27, 2021, 02:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Replies From View on January 28, 2021, 12:16:03 PM
Proof of concept
I admire the work you've put in for a joke on the title of a gentle Canadian sitcom that I imagine most people haven't ever seen.

Replies From View

It's going to be as popular as Flight of the Conchords one day, whereupon my brilliant joke will sail into the hearts of families the world over.

Bently Sheds

I second The Expanse - it takes a bit of getting into, when it kicks into gear it's utterly brilliant sci-fi.

We've been watching Black Sails, it's a pretty good pirate romp. It strives to have a Game of Thrones level of plot-twists, with much double crossing and characters unleashing devilish plots against each other (plus GoT style nudity and sex scenes) - although the story got very convoluted midway through series 2 (where we are at the moment).

Also votes for Homecoming and Undone here too...

surreal

I think The Shield is on there now, well worth it

Dr Rock

Thanks for the tips, gonna start with Undone, now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: surreal on January 28, 2021, 06:51:03 PM
I think The Shield is on there now, well worth it

I know people always bang on about The Wire as the greatest police drama ever, but this beats it for me.

George Oscar Bluth II

Parasite is up there at the moment, get it watched if you haven't already.

KennyMonster

I'm fairly new to Prime too.

Working my way through American Gods and The Tick, have Sneaky Pete and Preacher lined up.

Saw ep1 of Below Deck at the Star Treks I don't think I'll be keeping up with that one.

I gave Undone a go, with the 1st episode, have been 'whelmed' by it.

surreal

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 29, 2021, 10:32:44 AM
I know people always bang on about The Wire as the greatest police drama ever, but this beats it for me.

Just finished it last night - it's very consistent all the way through and ties up all the threads with a devastating ending. Well worth the time

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: surreal on January 30, 2021, 10:35:16 AM
Just finished it last night - it's very consistent all the way through and ties up all the threads with a devastating ending. Well worth the time

That's why I like it so much, that's the holy trinity right there, not many dramas can pull that off. When you've finished it it feels so satisfying.

katzenjammer

Not sure if these are on UK prime too but
Truth Seekers
The Terror

Both excellent

dissolute ocelot

They've got the first two seasons of Home And Away.

Spiteface

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 30, 2021, 11:37:51 PM
They've got the first two seasons of Home And Away.

How many Pippas did they get through in that time?

That's all I remember about Home and Away - all the different actresses that played Pippa over the years.

bgmnts

If you can wade through the sludge of middle class people finding themselves or erotically charges lesbian films, there are some good films on the BFI selection; Kurosawa stuff, La Haine, Battle Royal, Scanners.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Spiteface on January 31, 2021, 12:18:07 AM
How many Pippas did they get through in that time?

That's all I remember about Home and Away - all the different actresses that played Pippa over the years.

I think she was a Timelord, or a TimeSheila

The Culture Bunker

I watched 'Lucky', one of the last things Harry Dean Stanton did, on Amazon Prime last night and really enjoyed it.

Malcy

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 31, 2021, 08:03:30 AM
I think she was a Timelord, or a TimeSheila

Susan Kennedy from Neighbours plays a TimeSheila in a radio sitcom.

paruses

I dipped into Justified today rather than do any work. Few threads on here about it and it's generally thought well of.

gib

I really liked Homecoming and Undone after hearing about them in this thread.

holyzombiejesus

I started watching Homecoming last night and found it really boring. Switched it off after 2 episodes. Then put Undone on and found that irritating so read a book instead :(

Is there anything a bit exciting/ eerie on Prime. Saw that thing with the ship and the monster in the snow, that was alright but fizzled out a bit towards the end.

phantom_power

Justified is really exciting. So is The Expanse. Sneaky Pete too. Can't think of eerie stuff but the first season of Helix is pretty good and odd but I think it might shit the bed a bit in the second

studpuppet

Quote from: katzenjammer on January 30, 2021, 04:55:03 PM
The Terror

Seconded, and it's on UK Prime but £24.90 to buy...

I'd also recommend Escape At Dannemora, but that's around the same price I think.

dissolute ocelot

Has anyone watched The Boys or Stargirl? Even more than Netflix, Amazon just seems to have all these shows with shitloads of money spent on them that nobody actually watches. I'm getting into Undone, but got bored with the likes of Mrs Maisels. They do have some good(ish) comedy you've probably seen, like Broad City, South Park, Bob's Burgers, The Office, Seinfeld, Modern Family (early seasons are good), Fleabag, even a few series of UK Who's Line Is It Anyway (2 and 8-10 apparently). But I've never got far with any of their original programming. I'm not very good at bingeing though.

phantom_power

The Boys is very popular I think. Stargirl isn't an Amazon original is it? Isn't it part of the whole Arrow/Flash/Supergirl thing?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: phantom_power on February 03, 2021, 11:37:53 AM
The Boys is very popular I think. Stargirl isn't an Amazon original is it? Isn't it part of the whole Arrow/Flash/Supergirl thing?
Stargirl's a DC thing, but it claims to be an Amazon exclusive at least in the UK. If it's a Flash/Arrow thing I'm less interested as I can't be bothered with watching dozens of formulaic timewasting series. (Not to be confused with Disney's Stargirl which is an adaptation of the Jerry Spinelli novel.) I'll maybe try the Boys. Thanks.

Rizla

The Boys is highly entertaining, I say that as someone who generally has little time for superhero or comic adaptations. The dreadful accents kind of add to the fun, definitely worth a look.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Rec The Unbelievable Truth by Hal Hartley for some good vibes. Snappy in a sort of Linklater way, but more self aware and genuinely funny at times. Some LOOKS.

I watched 1917 and it was bollocks.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 05, 2021, 03:12:27 PM
Stargirl's a DC thing, but it claims to be an Amazon exclusive at least in the UK. If it's a Flash/Arrow thing I'm less interested as I can't be bothered with watching dozens of formulaic timewasting series. (Not to be confused with Disney's Stargirl which is an adaptation of the Jerry Spinelli novel.) I'll maybe try the Boys. Thanks.
I don't think Stargirl has any direct connection to Flash/Arrow/Supergirl etc. The world it takes place in had their own Flash, I think, but he got killed off years before the show takes place.

Gulftastic

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 05, 2021, 03:34:05 PM
I don't think Stargirl has any direct connection to Flash/Arrow/Supergirl etc. The world it takes place in had their own Flash, I think, but he got killed off years before the show takes place.

For any old DC heads like me, it's Earth 2 based. I'm a fan.