Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whats's Worth Watching On Amazon Prime Then?

Started by Dr Rock, January 27, 2021, 02:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Just noticed Documentary Now (seasons 1-3) is now on UK Prime. I've wanted to see this for a while, so it's going to the top of my list.

phantom_power

Oh you just noticed did you? Thanks a fucking bunch

Spiteface

Kamen Rider Amazons, aka Amazon Riders outside of Japan.

A 2010s reboot of 1974's Kamen Rider Amazon.

https://youtu.be/lpptsrFcXAs

Darker, more violent than what would typically air on a Sunday Morning in Japan, but I honestly enjoyed it more than most western Superhero fare that has come out in recent years, Marvel, DC or otherwise.

Rolf Lundgren

There's loads of old US shows which you only ever hear of through other US shows (Dick Van Dyke show, Mary Tyler Moore Show etc.). I've just started watching a bunch of old Johnny Carson's to see what the fuss was about.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: phantom_power on February 08, 2021, 12:33:12 PM
Oh you just noticed did you? Thanks a fucking bunch
You didn't put it in bold. How can you expect people to notice things in boring thin letters?

brat-sampson

Patriot is legit one of my favourite shows of all time. The name is terrible because it makes you think of Tom Clancy, but it's almost closer to Wes Anderson at times. Incredibly memorable and well-written.

mrfridge

Just finished and enjoyed Homecoming. Enjoyed it a fair bit. Is the second season worth bothering with?

Bently Sheds

Quote from: mrfridge on February 09, 2021, 05:02:33 PM
Just finished and enjoyed Homecoming. Enjoyed it a fair bit. Is the second season worth bothering with?
It's very different - might as well have been another show entirely. Janelle Monae is great in it.
It's pretty good, but very different.

Replies From View

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 09, 2021, 01:12:25 PM
You didn't put it in bold. How can you expect people to notice things in boring thin letters?

trousers half way down their legs as well

EAT SOME FUCKING PORK

mrfridge

Quote from: Bently Sheds on February 09, 2021, 07:13:22 PM
It's very different - might as well have been another show entirely. Janelle Monae is great in it.

Cheers I'll give it a go. I do like Janelle Monae and the trailer looks solid.

gib

Quote from: Bently Sheds on February 09, 2021, 07:13:22 PM

agreed

Campbell Soupe

Grab a bottle of J&B and your black leather gloves, there's some good Gialli tucked away on Prime.

Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet is mad fun and the trio of Sergio Martinos: The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, All the Colours of the Dark and Torso are genre classics.

The Case of the Bloody Iris is pretty standard Giallo fare, Strip Nude for you Killer is trashy sleaze, but Oasis of Fear is bright and breezy in a Britpop jacket. Who Saw Her Die? has got a nice creepy, Don't Look Now vibe and some spectacular 'tache work from George Lazenby.  Struggling through the Strangers on a Train rip-off, The Designated Victim, but I'm at the tail end of my binge and a bit Giallo-d out, I think.

These are all Shameless Video titles, so it's...er...a shame that their two most interesting Giallos (albeit at the artier end), The House With the Laughing Windows and Footsteps on the Moon aren't on Prime. 

Edit: Oops, RIP Deeper Into Movies... still, movies IS tv these days isn't it?

Sonny_Jim

Prime is (not so) surprisingly good at having lots of shitty movies.

Fight of Fury is what happens when you give $10k to a Nepalese martial artist living in LA who happens to be a massive Bruce Lee fan.  Think Neil Breen crossed with Jackie Chan.  Drags a bit in places, but it was the Last Thing I Saw that made me cry Tears of Laughter (tm).  If you like Samurai Cop or Miami Connection, definitely check this out.

Deep Star Six is on there, but it's amusement capabilities are basically limited to how unintentionally funny you find Greg Evigan.  It's one of those Abyss ripoffs, elevated slightly by Miguel Ferrers performance (he was the coke-sniffing exec from Robocop).

phantom_power

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on February 10, 2021, 12:55:34 AM
Grab a bottle of J&B and your black leather gloves, there's some good Gialli tucked away on Prime.

Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet is mad fun and the trio of Sergio Martinos: The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, All the Colours of the Dark and Torso are genre classics.

The Case of the Bloody Iris is pretty standard Giallo fare, Strip Nude for you Killer is trashy sleaze, but Oasis of Fear is bright and breezy in a Britpop jacket. Who Saw Her Die? has got a nice creepy, Don't Look Now vibe and some spectacular 'tache work from George Lazenby.  Struggling through the Strangers on a Train rip-off, The Designated Victim, but I'm at the tail end of my binge and a bit Giallo-d out, I think.

These are all Shameless Video titles, so it's...er...a shame that their two most interesting Giallos (albeit at the artier end), The House With the Laughing Windows and Footsteps on the Moon aren't on Prime. 

Edit: Oops, RIP Deeper Into Movies... still, movies IS tv these days isn't it?

There are loads of old horror and exploitation films on Prime. I am not sure how intact they are though.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: phantom_power on February 10, 2021, 09:43:37 AM
There are loads of old horror and exploitation films on Prime. I am not sure how intact they are though.
Argento's Phenomena is one I've watched, lots of insecty fun. Donald Pleasance and Jennifer Connolly. And if you've got 5 hours you can compare and contrast both versions of Suspiria.

There's also the Lake Bell/Simon Pegg romcom Man Up.

olliebean

It keeps recommending me something called Soulmates, which it reckons is like Black Mirror. Is that worth watching, or is it crap like I suspect it is?

phantom_power

It has a decent cast. It has only just turned up on there though so I haven't seen any reviews

samadriel

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on February 10, 2021, 12:55:34 AM
Strip Nude for you Killer is trashy sleaze,
Yes, i prefer the Japanese documentary version, Strip Nude for you! Black Emperor.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 27, 2021, 11:39:51 PM
Undone. One of the most delightful little series I have ever seen. Eight 20-minute episodes, best to binge-watch the lot in one evening.

Just watched this, laughed when the photo of dead dad looked a bit like
Spoiler alert
Odenkirk
[close]
Was a big shock when he talked later. Weird little show, liked it. Good tip.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 08, 2021, 11:42:48 PM
There's loads of old US shows which you only ever hear of through other US shows (Dick Van Dyke show, Mary Tyler Moore Show etc.). I've just started watching a bunch of old Johnny Carson's to see what the fuss was about.
I've watched a bit of the Dick Van Dyke Show which is a real curio for fans of comedy history: it was written by Carl Reiner based on his time working for the likes of Sid Caesar's TV show, and Dick plays a comedy writer married to a very young Mary Tyler Moore. Naturally it's somewhat dated but there's a lot of cheesy old jokes, songs, and comedy business, as well as hilariously cliched domestic scenes, all done very smoothly and charmingly. I'll maybe check out the Mary Tyler Moore Show next.

Sonny_Jim

I watch a lot of random shite on Prime.  I deliberately aim for the worst thing I can find sometimes, as I realised I end up staring at my phone and ignoring the TV anyway.

Tracker is a 2001 Canadian TV series about an alien who arrives on earth and takes on the form of an underwear model he sees on a poster, but he knows nothing about human culture so he has to learn everything.  Like walking, holding things, talking etc.  The first episode consists of the buff lead character stumbling around in his boxers gurgling like an toddler, except it's all shot like Renegade or 'Walker: Texas Ranger' so it's unintentionally hilarious.  Then there's this fucking awful coyote ugly subplot of a young English women running a bar and she talks like every single English person on American TV sounds like.  It's full of bizarre ideas, like people in a nightclub taking drugs hidden in pens by dripping the ink into their eyes.  Except the club seems to have all sorts of people in there, like Grandma.  It's fucking weird.

The tone seemed all over the place to me.  Not sure if it'd be worth watching any more than the pilot, as I think by the time the alien character has learned how to talk properly it won't be as fun.  It's extremely lazily written as well,  they've even given the lead character 'special alien powers' that basically give the writer an out for any situation.  Car won't start?  Alien magic power fixes it.  Can't catch the baddie in their faster car?  Then alien magic powers make the car go faster. Someone dies?  No problem!  Alien Magic Power and they'll be as right as rain.   Also it's stuffed to the gills with expository dialogue, as the alien needs fucking everything explained to him.  There's some promos here if you want to see what it's like.

So yeah, Tracker is not worth watching.  I think I've misunderstood the point of this thread.

Butchers Blind

Undone is indeed good and worth your time. Think they're working on a second series.

Wayne is also on there now. An american teen road trip comedy/drama.

Custard

Coherence
A "mind-bendy" small scale sci-fi with a really neat premise that I won't spoil here. I found it very disturbing, if you like that sort of thing

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 22, 2021, 11:13:05 AM

Wayne is also on there now. An american teen road trip comedy/drama.

Never quite reached the sweetness/pathos of The End of the Fucking World but I liked it. Bit of comic book/Scott Pilgrim in it too (I hated Scott Pilgrim btw)

Viero_Berlotti

For fans of trashy 90s true crime, Canadian series Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science is a must watch.

Lurid tales/backwaters cops/eccentric 'experts'/low budget 90s production values, all presided over with authority from First Nation presenter Graham Greene.

The best thing about it though is the Fred Mollin soundtrack. Sleazy late-nite Sax sliding over clattering drum machines. It really deserves a release in its own right.

willbo

any love for Lady Bloodfight or Bounty Killer

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on February 22, 2021, 07:51:28 PM
For fans of trashy 90s true crime, Canadian series Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science is a must watch.

Lurid tales/backwaters cops/eccentric 'experts'/low budget 90s production values, all presided over with authority from First Nation presenter Graham Greene.

The best thing about it though is the Fred Mollin soundtrack. Sleazy late-nite Sax sliding over clattering drum machines. It really deserves a release in its own right.

What a cracking opening theme - brooding synth with hesitant tablas, then the sax. Excellent.

BlodwynPig

Fucking hell, did you watch the first one Viero. The Canadian detective giving 3 reasons why they had to go to England in relation to the suspect (who by this point was 99.999% the culprit). 1. We wanted to know a bit more about him, 2. We wanted to know if he had the knowledge needed to make the weapon, 3. I'd never been to England and I wanted to go. Reason 2 is pretty flimsy, reason 1 is hokey, but reason 3 - surely misappropriation of public funds?!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury I present to you Exhibit A - the first episode of the TV show Exhibit A!

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2021, 09:55:22 PM
Fucking hell, did you watch the first one Viero. The Canadian detective giving 3 reasons why they had to go to England in relation to the suspect (who by this point was 99.999% the culprit). 1. We wanted to know a bit more about him, 2. We wanted to know if he had the knowledge needed to make the weapon, 3. I'd never been to England and I wanted to go. Reason 2 is pretty flimsy, reason 1 is hokey, but reason 3 - surely misappropriation of public funds?!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury I present to you Exhibit A - the first episode of the TV show Exhibit A!

Yeah I think I remember that one, it was a while back I started watching this show. Be warned if you do watch anymore, some of the episodes do get uncomfortably exploitative (as is par for the course with this genre really) and sometimes cross the line. I've had to switch a few off because they can get a bit much at times. I definitely need to find out if the soundtrack has ever been released though, no luck tracking it down so far.

neveragain

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 08, 2021, 10:53:39 AM
Just noticed Documentary Now (seasons 1-3) is now on UK Prime. I've wanted to see this for a while, so it's going to the top of my list.

Hope you're enjoying them. First two seasons are gold. Two or three strong eps in the third.