Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hitman 3

Started by Noodle Lizard, January 28, 2021, 02:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

This just came out a week or so ago - apparently a somewhat disastrous launch, with all kinds of server issues and problems transferring progress etc.

I haven't really run into any of that[nb]except for the pre-warned problem that transferring your progress from 2016 & 2 will erase any progress you've made in H3, which is mildly annoying[/nb], so I can only speak about the game itself.

I feel like, at this point, if you like Hitman enough to want to buy this one then it'll be worth it. It has all the same problems that 2016 & 2 had, and hasn't really done much else with it[nb]The Agatha Christie (read: Knives Out) inspired "Dartmoor" map being a possible exception, although it feels practically limited to that conceit.[/nb]. It's better to think of it as a $60 DLC (though I'm sure that price will plummet in a month or two). I'll withhold full judgment since I've only properly played three of the maps so far, but I hear the last one is an absolute shiter, which seems a disappointing way to end the trilogy.

Thursday

I'm really enjoying it, I never actually finished the first of this reboot trilogy, I think I was put off because of everyone complaining about the Colorado level. When the 2nd one came around I just wasn't really feeling in the mood for it, but this has come at the right time for me. Played the Dubai and Dartmoor levels, and then decided to go back and play through the whole trilogy from the start.

It is nice as you can get the 2nd one as cheap DLC at the moment (which I never got, so the issues people were having with that don't really affect me), first game is included and it's all presented nicely in one menu, feels like having a nice boxset.

Timothy

Just finished map three. One and two were excellent. Two was absolutely amazing. Loved every single second of it. Three was awful.

Looking forward to the rest of the game. It's been fun so far.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Thursday on January 28, 2021, 09:17:15 AM
I'm really enjoying it, I never actually finished the first of this reboot trilogy, I think I was put off because of everyone complaining about the Colorado level. When the 2nd one came around I just wasn't really feeling in the mood for it, but this has come at the right time for me. Played the Dubai and Dartmoor levels, and then decided to go back and play through the whole trilogy from the start.

It is nice as you can get the 2nd one as cheap DLC at the moment (which I never got, so the issues people were having with that don't really affect me), first game is included and it's all presented nicely in one menu, feels like having a nice boxset.

I'll admit to being a little bitter since I bought them all at full-whack (put god knows how many hours into Hitman 1 only for its progress not to transfer to 2 because I didn't have the later/cheaper/more complete GOTY version etc.) but it's not exactly IOI's fault I suppose.

Dartmoor is cool, but rather limited once you've sorted out the main mission story - which is fair enough, as that in and of itself was more than worthy of a level. I found Dubai a little boring, honestly, but perhaps I just haven't found some of the more inventive kills yet. There appears to be a lot more going on with other NPCs this time around - lots of conversations you can overhear which must serve some purpose, but I haven't figured out quite what yet.

Timothy

Hope this isn't considered a spoiler. If so tell me and I'll put all of it in spoiler tags:

I just found out that there is a secret mission story in
Spoiler alert
the second to last level
[close]
. I didn't expect this to happen: Somehow you can trigger the trophy that you played all mission stories in the level even if you haven't played this one. It even opens a mission slot story which disappears again after you close the mission. Not sure if this is bugged or not. Are there more secret mission stories in one of the other levels that I missed? I love them and don't want to miss out on any.

Noodle Lizard

Gosh, they weren't lying. The last level is an absolute shiter. Feels like something off of Absolution. I mean, it's fine enough in and of itself, but an astonishingly weak ending.

Dartmoor and Mendoza are the only two I thought were on par with some of the better maps from 1 & 2. Berlin's map is lovely, but they clearly didn't have the time/energy to make it live up to its premise.

Kelvin

H-O-W-L

I acquired it via other means because of the Epic Games Store switch (total cunt anti consumer move) and I think it's pretty alright. Berlin and Dartmoor seem sized up to be my favorite, especially since Berlin gets back to that Contracts vibe the series has lacked ever since.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Kelvin on January 30, 2021, 03:09:01 AM
Dunkey's Hitman 3 video is sublime.

https://youtu.be/UA3NlwU7keI

Fantastic. Hitman trilogy is one of the best comedy games of all time.

Timothy

Have reached the last mission. Gonna play that later today.

Bit baffled by all the high review scores for the game. It certainly is an enjoyable game and maybe it's just me but it doesn't really feel like a proper new game. More like an expansion like Death of the Outsider was for Dishonored or Uncharted the Lost Legacy was for Uncharted.

Just six levels. No new sniper level. And Hitman I and II have way more mission stories (6 / 7 per level vs the 3 per level here, not to mention the levels that don't have any) and as far as I can tell way more creative ways to go about things. Even the tutorial mission from the first Hitman game has more mission stories then any of the levels here. The only levels that felt like levels from I and II to me were Mendoza, Dartmoor, Dubia and China.

I also don't get the praise from the reviewers for the story. There is barely any story involved and so far everything that happened is
Spoiler alert
so painfully obvious and unsurprising
[close]

It's a fun game but a bit of disappointing end to an excellent trilogy.

tourism

Quote from: Timothy on January 30, 2021, 11:46:49 AMThe only levels that felt like levels from I and II to me were Mendoza, Dartmoor, Dubia and China.

so 4 out of 5?

Timothy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 29, 2021, 10:15:38 PM
Gosh, they weren't lying. The last level is an absolute shiter. Feels like something off of Absolution. I mean, it's fine enough in and of itself, but an astonishingly weak ending.

Dartmoor and Mendoza are the only two I thought were on par with some of the better maps from 1 & 2. Berlin's map is lovely, but they clearly didn't have the time/energy to make it live up to its premise.

You werent kidding. That last level was absolutely terrible. Indeed a weak and imo quite disappointing ending to the game and trilogy.

Kelvin

Has there even been a Hitman game where the last level wasn't completely at odds with the fundamental design of the whole series? The original Hitman 1 and 2 end with big shootouts, Contracts ends with you escaping the building, but very limited in how your achieve that. Blood Money has the Whitehouse level, which should have been great, but is actually incredibly limited in your options, followed by a big shoot-out at the funeral parlour. Absolution's I don't even remember. Then these new games are just half complete, a handful of levels, with a story that keeps rolling over into the next one. They don't really seem to know how to make a big, satisfying finale with the multi-choice mechanics.

Timothy

The last level of the last two games were really good. Hokkaido and the Isle are among my favorite levels ever. But this last level was just bad.
Spoiler alert
Totally lineair up until the target. Just moving in one direction on a moving train.
[close]

Its a fun game but I expected a bit more. Especially since the last two games were excellent.

Noodle Lizard

Isle of Sgail was a fantastic closer; even if the actual targets were quite dull, it's a hell of a level. The train one on this is really poor, I think my Absolution comparison is fair (I'd say the same for the ending of the China level too).

I need to play around more with Berlin before I properly make my mind up on that one.

Timothy

Hokkaido Resort was pretty good as well. That's why I had high hopes for the last level of Hitman III.

What I liked about the China level is that you only have to play the proper ending once. After that you can skip it and just focus on the targets.

H-O-W-L

Hitman's never been about the endings anyway. I never expected Season 1's plot to be resolved and I still don't give a shit about it despite being a superfan of the franchise. The nu-trilogy's plot is such fanfiction over the top bollocks I just sort of tune it out, like a racist nan whom you once respected.

H-O-W-L

This is not a £30 game though. If Tim Sweeney didn't pay for my copy I would be very fucking narked off.

Timothy

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 31, 2021, 11:02:39 AM
Hitman's never been about the endings anyway. I never expected Season 1's plot to be resolved and I still don't give a shit about it despite being a superfan of the franchise. The nu-trilogy's plot is such fanfiction over the top bollocks I just sort of tune it out, like a racist nan whom you once respected.

The fact that the ending of the story was quite bad doesn't really bother me. It's more that it's disappointing that the level itself is so mediocre and different from the rest of the game.

I did like the
Spoiler alert
secret bad ending a lot more then the canon ending.
[close]