Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

HBO announce Sopranos prequel with Gandalfini's son playing Tony

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 28, 2021, 06:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/sopranos-many-saints-of-newark-michael-ganfolfini-first-look/

Yeah it's a film but not sure it makes sense to put it in films given it's related to a long tv series.

Not sure about this, they should probably just leave it be, and with the exception of Fire Walk With Me, these things are often damp squibs.

QDRPHNC

Custard

This has been known about for ages, and there's a thread on here somewhere

GOD GET WITH IT GUYYYY

Bazooka

I mean it's still Chase, but the show is as close to perfect of any show I've seen.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Bazooka on January 28, 2021, 07:38:49 PM
I mean it's still Chase, but the show is as close to perfect of any show I've seen.

The teaser trailer just got released though.

I'm always up for period gangster films so quite hopeful for this, particularly with Gandolfini's son in the role, although it's apparently based mostly around the 1967 riots (when he would have been 7) so not sure how much he'll be in it.

Slightly worried at the prospect of it ending with a flash forward to a badly CGI'd James Gandolfini.

Bazooka

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 28, 2021, 08:56:45 PM
Slightly worried at the prospect of it ending with a flash forward to a badly CGI'd James Gandolfini.

Already confirmed:

Dog Botherer

having just started watching the sopranos for the first time (on season 2 now), is this (as i suspect) 99% likely to be shit?

bgmnts

Can you imagine if Fred Flintstone was in the Sopranos?

Yabba Gabbagool!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 28, 2021, 09:16:59 PM
having just started watching the sopranos for the first time (on season 2 now), is this (as i suspect) 99% likely to be shit?

Chase wrote it, and the guy who directed it also directed a lot of good Sopranos episodes, although he also directed Terminator Genisys (which I actually liked but I know most didn't) so I'd say more likely 50%.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but that look he gives the dude at 0:05 before decking him is proper Tony and enough to get me excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XyfAPb3yQQ&ab_channel=OfficialCount

Custard

Looking at the cast list on IMDB, a lot of the actors still haven't had their characters confirmed, but I'd bet upwards of 50p on this being the young Janice

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10993682/

chveik

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2021, 10:00:39 PM
Can you imagine if Fred Flintstone was in the Sopranos?

Yabba Gabbagool!

They did a parody of that on the first season of Harvey Birdman, it's great.

Waking Life

I don't think Gandolfoni Junior is a good actor at all. He was in The Deuce and I wondered why he'd been even cast before I found out who he was. Other than that, I like period mob pieces and The Sopranos so I'm on board. HBO got the Deadwood sequels right certainly.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought the Deadwood sequel was plops tbh. Just a whistle-stop tour of 'where are they now' with no conniving. And the slow-mo prostitutes dancing as snow falls, gettoutahere.

druss

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 28, 2021, 10:54:20 PM
Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but that look he gives the dude at 0:05 before decking him is proper Tony and enough to get me excited
The fact that it was the only bit of footage they used of Tony, and the fact they used it twice is enough to get me very worried.

Chollis

Quote from: druss on January 29, 2021, 11:31:28 AM
The fact that it was the only bit of footage they used of Tony, and the fact they used it twice is enough to get me very worried.

yeah, that trailer looks fan-made. not a good sign.

Magnum Valentino

It is fan-made. It's a single shot (maybe two) from a larger HBO-wide trailer of stuff they're running this year, plucked out of context. It's not a 'teaser trailer', as touted by the uploader.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on January 28, 2021, 09:14:06 PM
Already confirmed:

What is it about developers making ill-suited games based upon Gangster film/TV proprieties, which have no business being videogames in the first place?

Rev+

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 29, 2021, 06:39:43 PM
It is fan-made. It's a single shot (maybe two) from a larger HBO-wide trailer of stuff they're running this year, plucked out of context. It's not a 'teaser trailer', as touted by the uploader.

I'm not sure how anyone could take that as a genuine trailer.  Look at the fucking '2021' font at the end, it's like Mavis who doesn't do Excel has been tasked with doing promotional stuff.

This won't really be a Sopranos prequel - the timing of the subject matter makes that too wonky.  We'll have some appearances by younger versions of the characters, but they'll be incidental and disposable.  Just a way of getting the thing made.  The thing itself is very exciting, though.

petril

can we have one of these "their grown up kid plays the younger one of their character" ones except the kid genuinely can't act at all? like no aptitude or patience to learn. not like a "professional but not that great" or "thinks they know it all from previous experience", but just genuinely like they've pulled someone at random off the streets and stuck them on set.

I'd love to see them do that with one of these big, criticially acclaimed dramas or something. just make a spinoff but have genuine extreme incompetence, just to see what it's like

St_Eddie

petrilTanaka starts a film studio.  It goes into liquidation a week later.

Mister Six