Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In and Of Itself

Started by ozziechef, January 29, 2021, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozziechef

Has anyone seen the film of this "magic" show?

I don't want to spoil too much but it really is one of the greatest shows of this type of thing I think I've seen. Maybe I'm just caught up in the moment. And I genuinely have no idea how he does "it" without a lot of clever technology that I'd guess budget wouldn't allow?

Replies From View

'In and Of'

Those words annoy me for some reason.  Grave.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: ozziechef on January 29, 2021, 12:57:57 PM
I genuinely have no idea how he does "it" without a lot of clever technology that I'd guess budget wouldn't allow?
Maybe the budget does allow it and the real trick is convincing you that it doesn't.

C_Larence

Everything I've heard about it, especially the positive reviews, have convinced me that I'm going to despise it. Can't wait to watch!

C_Larence

Yeah I watched it now and hated it. I know myself better than any card ever could. I think the only thing I can think of worse than going to a one man magic show with an audience full of New Yorkers is going to a one man magic show with an audience of New Yorkers and
Spoiler alert
being picked out of the audience to go away, do homework, and come back the next day to watch it all again
[close]

They should have called it "in and up it's arse"

Ferris

I've heard this recommended via a few different channels which is unusual. Will definitely watch it, I'm sure it's on one of the myriad streaming cunts I'm paying for.

ProvanFan

olliebean

It's on Hulu I think, but you could also have a look for it somewhere like the ProshotMusicals subreddit.

Ferris

It were good, really felt like a live show which I think was part of its charm and (in the covid times) made it feel like more of an experience. Stuff like relying on house lights and other in-theatre effects really paid off, and that's helpful as closeup magic on telly doesn't carry the same weight as it does live.

That said, it did a great deal to remind me of what live performance was like, and (cake having and eating) made me like it, even when it hit a bum note.

I've recommended it to a few friends who are comics/writers/performers on the basis that they'll go mad for the pseudo-live element, even if the actual content required you to buy into it (and be all emotional) more than an old cynic like me.

Ferris Sez: 7.6/10

QDRPHNC

^ Might give it a go based off that.

My impression from the trailer was an inspiration Linkedin post turned into a show.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 06, 2021, 02:20:36 PM
^ Might give it a go based off that.

My impression from the trailer was an inspiration Linkedin post turned into a show.

Yeah there's an streak of Ted talk smugness in it to some extent[nb]though that's everything these days isn't it? Last time I was at the Edinburgh festival it felt like going to a wellness conference. A knob gag or two wouldn't have gone amiss[/nb], and I didn't find it emotionally powerful which I think was one of its big selling points. That said, Mrs Ferris loved it and I enjoyed it despite not really buying in to the guy's shtick so he's done well to drag a miserable bugger like me along for the ride.

What it really did well was convey the feeling of live performance and fuck me do I miss going and seeing things. Some clever ideas, good closeup stuff, and the vibe of being in a theatre? Solid way to spend an evening.