Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YOUR Favourite Comedy Sadsack

Started by Povidone, January 30, 2021, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Neil the hippy
Brian Butterfield
Charlie Brown

tinner777

non capisco

Quote from: lipsink on February 05, 2021, 07:12:43 PM
According to Wikipedia the character of Nigel was created to add some comic relief while the Mark HIV storyline was going on.

At least they actually gave Nigel some dramatic storylines, like when he had to go and search for Dot after she had a breakdown and fucked off to Gravesend. I'm from there and why you'd want to go to Gravesend after a depressive episode I cannot fathom, it's hardly anyone's idea of a restorative Shangri-La. I don't think the slightly later comic relief replacement double act Huw and Lenny had any dramatic storylines to speak of, they really were just larking about round Albert Square in bewildering oblivion as if it isn't always soaked daily in a fresh deluge of misery. Having said that I can't remember a single one of their antics beyond a pirate radio station that inevitably annoyed Ian Beale. Huw seethed "EEEE-AN BEEE-YEL!" a lot.

Blue Jam

Fr.Bigley

Cath-Nighty Night
Linda- Nighty Night
Terry- Nighty Night
Glenn Bulb- Nighty night

Julia Davies is brilliant at writing sadsacks.

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: Coprolite on February 04, 2021, 02:02:23 PM
Tim from the original The Office.
Ok, he might get the girl in the end but i don't think that disqualifies him.
Keeps talking about leaving and bettering himself, but stays.
Scoffs at the lack of culture but still ends up at chasers.
His friendless 30th birthday with his silly hat and getting his shoe launched is one of the saddest things i've seen in a comedy.

Agreed.

I always enjoyed George and Anthea in Men Behaving Badly.

Mr Farenheit

Shelley "The Machine" Levene from Glengarry Glen Ross

neveragain

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 08, 2021, 11:45:22 AM

Excellent characters but.... are they sad sacks if they're not sad? (I may be misremembering but they always seemed quite chirpy)

Noodle Lizard

Aside from some of the aforementioned, Craig Feldspar in Malcolm In The Middle and Ted Buckland in Scrubs were some of my favourite comedy sadacts. I think they fit the bill well enough!

Hillbert

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on February 08, 2021, 01:33:56 PM
Shelley "The Machine" Levene from Glengarry Glen Ross

Let's not forget old Gil! The wolf's at old Gil's door...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The dad from " Derry Girls", forever being put upon by his overbearing, resentful Da- In-Law. A grand old pathos- ridden figure, and I can honestly say he was the main reason for me watching this amusing but somewhat derivative " bits from " The Inbetweeners, Father Ted and even Peep Show"- filching show, honest, he really was.

Mr Farenheit

Hot Rockin' Ronnie

(And plenty of other Jon Wurster characters)

Blue Jam

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 08, 2021, 11:45:22 AM

Quote from: neveragain on February 08, 2021, 11:16:40 PM
Excellent characters but.... are they sad sacks if they're not sad? (I may be misremembering but they always seemed quite chirpy)

George seemed pretty content, in particular he seemed to be in a very long and happy marriage and often on the verge of giving Gary too much information about it. I think Anthea definitely counts though, good call.

Blue Jam

Quote from: tinner777 on February 05, 2021, 09:33:19 PM
Patrick starfish

Squidward Tentacles, surely?

Quote"I order the food, you cook the food, the customer gets the food. We do that for 40 years and then we die."

Povidone

Early mentions of Drop The Dead Donkey in this thread have convinced me I need to rattle through it all at some point. Only watched a few episodes when I was a feckless youngstet and remember generally enjoying them but that's about it.

Presumably it's on britbox or some shite like that now?

olliebean

Quote from: Povidone on February 16, 2021, 08:54:28 PM
Early mentions of Drop The Dead Donkey in this thread have convinced me I need to rattle through it all at some point. Only watched a few episodes when I was a feckless youngstet and remember generally enjoying them but that's about it.

Presumably it's on britbox or some shite like that now?

You can watch it for free (with ads) on All 4.

Povidone

Right-o, that'll sort out my next week of lockdown viewing.