Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sophie has apparently died in an sudden accident in Athens?

Started by Misspent Boners, January 30, 2021, 11:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Very early news but particularly heartbreaking if true...lots of people expressing condolences on Twitter atm

This is a particularly heartbreaking as I still think her magnum opus was yet to come...I adore the Oil of Every Pearl's Un insides, but I think she had a more focused, transcendent work in her :(

https://youtu.be/q0rqR06E1WU

buttgammon

Just saw this, I'm stunned.

Totally agree that her best seemed yet to come. As much as I love the last album - and so many moments on it still give me goosebumps, she seemed like she was capable of going even further.

Oz Oz Alice

Just saw this, absolutely gutted - her music meant a lot to me, some very important personal associations with it. Also agree that her best work was clearly yet to say. 34. Jesus.

Head Gardener

GoblinAhFuckScary

This is awful fucking news. I too felt like the best was yet to come.

RIP comrade xx

VelourSpirit

Awful, really gutting. She was amazing, was so excited for another album, it was bound to be a huge event

imitationleather

buttgammon

Still stunned by this, I think because she was so young and clearly in her prime. Like when MF Doom's death was announced, it's been quite moving to see what Sophie and her music meant to people.

Dusty Substance

Really sad news. I only heard Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides for the first time last year but, fuck me, I was impressed. A phenomenal album.

The outpouring of grief on social media has been amazing. I hope SOPHIE knew how loved she was.

As if her early death wasn't jarring enough, I didn't realise she was a transwoman until today.

The Mollusk

Very cut up about this. Was listening to "Oil of..." on my way home earlier and started crying stood on the tube platform listening to "Immaterial". I never thought a song so incredibly explosively buoyant and bursting with joy and positivity could bring me to mournful tears like that. Then the long ambient outro of "Whole New World/Pretend World" came in on the train and I started staring at the floor imagining it being the sound of finality and death slowly washing in, extinguishing a soul that was absolutely blazing bright and glorious just a short time before. Not gonna lie those thoughts really wrecked me!

She was a fucking icon and a genius artist, her music was generally amazing but that album is honestly unparalleled. It floors me every time I put it on.

ndrwkrtn

Extremely sad and surreal. Echoing what others say above that her best was yet to come. Was a fan from Bipp onwards. 'Is it Cold in the Water?' is an astonishing track imo.

peanutbutter

Super bummed, was in some manner braced for her death cos I found there always some extremely strong depressive vibes to it all which only seemed to be intensifying (although I could just be projecting like mad).

Was a big fan of Bipp, then kinda hated almost everything for a few years but almost all of it won me over and I was super pumped to see her live last March (cancelled, obvs). Soundtracked a lot of my solitary druggy nights through the pandemic and was definitely viewing a gig of hers as a big thing to look forward to.

Done a really neat set of some new stuff early last summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPSe57pOss Some of it has come out in various places but a lot hasn't (plus lotsa neat visuals accompanying it)

Absolutely stellar collaborator too, Sophie being involved in a track on an album was always a sign it'd be worth a liste.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Heard Oil Of a few years back and it blew me away, this is properly horrible.

The Mollusk

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKrz2yHnKu-/?igshid=wl4sx7kbbj7u

A very sad and touching post from BloodPop. He mentions that she had "tapped into a new kind of energy" in recent months which confirms a lot of people's rumination that the best was yet to come. It's a testament to her vision and the music of hers that exists that people were able to see even more potential in someone who already broke the mould and redefined pop music more than any of her peers. Yeah, she's one of the best, but we could see an even brighter future ahead for her. Her potential felt limitless, her eye seeing so much more than ours could, and she would have bottled it up and shared it with everyone in time. This hurts a fucking lot.

hummingofevil

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. I spent best part of last year trying to coonvince my record label owning mate that this was the best track of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9-P1SOeHU

He wasn't convinced but then out of nowhere I was bombarded from him at how this Autechre track is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ro1n8DYUY

Yeah. Of course. SOPHIE

FTIW I saw her and her Krew on the beach in Primavera and it was utterly briiliant. She was a genius . That gig was amazing; I am gutted. So sad.

Can some cunts die young please.

hummingofevil

Also I love ITZY. I didn't realise there was a direct link between them and Autechre but SOPHIE produced this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkyfakgtsY

It's a pretty average track but you can hear SOPHIE in the production.

chveik

very sad news. still on the fence about pc music but it doesn't really matter I suppose

peanutbutter

Sophie isn't PC Music, she worked with a lot of PC Music people but was def a bit apart from the label's scene from what I could see? Wouldn't consider her sound to be that similar to AG Cook's at all either what with the strong Autechre influence and all

chveik

hummingofevil

At Primavera 2019.  SOPHIE doing her mad shit on the beach, Charli XCX blowing everyone away on the second stage, Carly Rae in front of 30,000 people and then Danny L Harlel blasting Supernatural as his set finisher. Whether they technicallly PC Music or not who cares but there was definitly an amazing VIBE that PC Music and the gay crowd stans were taking over the whole thing; it was amazing and it was a prviledge to be there.

Fucking hell...Nice one R. Stevie.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RStevieMoore/status/1355559435716931590

This month has been terrible for all my favourite musicians passing away or cementing themselves as utter cunts

lazyhour

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 31, 2021, 11:18:10 AM
Fucking hell...Nice one R. Stevie.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RStevieMoore/status/1355559435716931590

This month has been terrible for all my favourite musicians passing away or cementing themselves as utter cunts

Who is the person on the left of the image? I don't recognise then so I don't understand the (evidently horrible) joke that Moore is making.

Bronzy

Quote from: lazyhour on January 31, 2021, 11:45:44 AM
Who is the person on the left of the image? I don't recognise then so I don't understand the (evidently horrible) joke that Moore is making.

Carrot Top, American comedian who was last relevant around 1998

offwhiteblack

Quote from: Bronzy on January 31, 2021, 11:49:24 AM
Carrot Top, American comedian who was last relevant around 1998

Don't really get the joke here, but the overreactions are quite funny.  Anything that upsets the little drama addicts on Twitter can't be that bad, right??

lazyhour

Quote from: offwhiteblack on January 31, 2021, 12:48:56 PM
Don't really get the joke here, but the overreactions are quite funny.  Anything that upsets the little drama addicts on Twitter can't be that bad, right??

Really? In the week she died?

offwhiteblack

Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly sad, an artistic career cut short like that.  All the same, though, the little pigeons on Twitter getting all flabby and outraged is hilariously funny, whatever the circumstances.

offwhiteblack

Don't worry about it, then.  As I say, terrible to see a career cut short like that.  Sounds like the artist had tapped into some incredible new source of inspiration, which makes it all the more tragic.